ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 13
« First < 678910 111213 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Sleep apnea
tatorhog 02:14 PM 02-24-2020
Does anybody have this? My doc is telling me I have it, and I need to go get a sleep study done. Apparently my spo2 number takes a LOT of dips with some pretty severe ones mixed in. So I thought I would ask here to see if anybody has this and if they have any advice or insight. He told me to anticipate a CPAP after I see the pulmonologist, but that's still a ways off before I can get in there.

I tried antifreeze, but that just turned my tongue a greenish color.
[Reply]
Lzen 01:40 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
A very close friend of mine, who had a wife and three children, suddenly died in late 2017. The guy was extremely fit, lean and muscular, even at age 47. He ran in half marathons and marathons and was an extremely active dad.

Three months after he and his family moved from Los Angeles back to his home state of Texas, his wife heard a loud "CRASH!" in the basement. She ran downstairs, only to find her husband passed out on the floor. She called 911, and the medics arrived in less than 8 minutes.

It was too late.

He suffered from a massive heart attack and he hit the floor so hard that it caused brain damage. From the heart attack to the brain damage to the loss of oxygen to his brain, the plug was pulled 3 days later and he died.

The cause? Sleep apnea. His heart was so weakened by the apnea that it killed him. It still gets to me even to this day...
Wow, that's terrible. I may have to ask my Dr. about this next time I visit in July.
[Reply]
ptlyon 01:52 PM 02-26-2020
Holy shit Dane is alive?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:31 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Wow, that's terrible. I may have to ask my Dr. about this next time I visit in July.
Please do. It could save your life and will definitely add years.

Keep in mind, it’s not just your heart that the CPAP helps, it’s your internal organs, blood flow and overall health because it forces oxygen into your body for as long as you sleep.

It takes a little bit of time to get used to it but once that happens, you should feel almost immediately better.

It’s a life changer, for sure.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:31 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Holy shit Dane is alive?
Hangin’ by a thread

:-)
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 07:39 AM 02-27-2020
OK, so I bought the Ozone Cleaner that BRC linked to. Here's my review:

It's better than cleaning it by hand, that's for sure. BUT, the hose on my CPAP (A ResMed Airsense 10 Elite) comes in 2 parts, one side connects to the CPAP, the other connects to a short hose that connects to the mask. I can clean the CPAP machine by removing the shorter hose, no problem. BUT, the adapter does not fit the mask hose, it's a little too small. So I had to tape them together to do the mask part. Since I only plan on using this once a week, I guess I can live with that. It's a pain, but it cleans it.

Make sure you let the machine and hose sit for a good hour before using it, the ozone smell is pretty overpowering when the cleaning is done.

The instructions were obviously written in the country of manufacture...China. So...they're a little poorly written to say the least.

The thing works though, and it's got high ratings and good reviews. I got one on Amazon for under 50.00, and it seems worth it so far. Thanks BigRedChief...
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:07 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:

It's better than cleaning it by hand, that's for sure. BUT, the hose on my CPAP (A ResMed Airsense 10 Elite) comes in 2 parts, one side connects to the CPAP, the other connects to a short hose that connects to the mask. I can clean the CPAP machine by removing the shorter hose, no problem. BUT, the adapter does not fit the mask hose, it's a little too small. So I had to tape them together to do the mask part. Since I only plan on using this once a week, I guess I can live with that. It's a pain, but it cleans it.

Make sure you let the machine and hose sit for a good hour before using it, the ozone smell is pretty overpowering when the cleaning is done.

The instructions were obviously written in the country of manufacture...China. So...they're a little poorly written to say the least.

The thing works though, and it's got high ratings and good reviews. I got one on Amazon for under 50.00, and it seems worth it so far. Thanks BigRedChief...

Thank you. I am looking into that now. I have not had an issue-or felt I had an issue with cleanliness. Or any health issues because of my CPAP.
But this device looks good. Does it clean the mask too???
[Reply]
ILikeBigTiddys 08:07 AM 02-27-2020
A lot of you guys crack me up with your halfass knowledge of osa and the use of cpap.
[Reply]
ILikeBigTiddys 08:10 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
A very close friend of mine, who had a wife and three children, suddenly died in late 2017. The guy was extremely fit, lean and muscular, even at age 47. He ran in half marathons and marathons and was an extremely active dad.

Three months after he and his family moved from Los Angeles back to his home state of Texas, his wife heard a loud "CRASH!" in the basement. She ran downstairs, only to find her husband passed out on the floor. She called 911, and the medics arrived in less than 8 minutes.

It was too late.

He suffered from a massive heart attack and he hit the floor so hard that it caused brain damage. From the heart attack to the brain damage to the loss of oxygen to his brain, the plug was pulled 3 days later and he died.

The cause? Sleep apnea. His heart was so weakened by the apnea that it killed him. It still gets to me even to this day...
Was he actually diagnosed with osa or csa?
[Reply]
007 08:16 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
How do stomach sleepers use a Cpap? I've never been able to sleep on my back. Not once minute of my entire life I've slept on my back. Probably only a handful of times been able to sleep on my side.
Nobody ever answers this question. Makes me assume you have to relearn how to sleep if you want to use one. I'm only comfortable on my stomach so I've never bothered. Too much time and money if I'm going to be uncomfortable all night long either way.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:20 AM 02-27-2020
I don't sleep on my stomach much. If I do, I need a pillow to prop my head up so I have room for my mask.

Maybe one needs a body pillow-so you can elevate your body up and have room.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=body+pill...nb_sb_ss_i_4_6
[Reply]
ptlyon 08:28 AM 02-27-2020
Not apnea related as they didn't get into apnea, but I watched a fascinating public television NOVA on sleep study. I think you'd have to look for reruns on your local public broadcasting, or maybe you could watch it online. Don't know.

NOVA Explores The Mystery of Sleep

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wgb...ep%3f_amp=true
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:33 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:

Mine came with several adapters. Maybe its an additional purchase, don't remember?

The first ones I looked at 25+ years ago were suitcase size and cost like $2000. Of course its from China. It's $50. I was skeptical as hell. But, the Amazon reviews by Americans were numerous and obviously not faked. So I took the leap about 3 months ago. Happy to be the guinea pig on here.:-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:41 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Thank you. I am looking into that now. I have not had an issue-or felt I had an issue with cleanliness. Or any health issues because of my CPAP.
Yes, I clean the hose first, then do the mask. Once a week. I guess I could do the whole thing at the same time but the feedback I read said do them differently to ensure the 99.9% level of clean.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 08:58 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Mine came with several adapters. Maybe its an additional purchase, don't remember?

The first ones I looked at 25+ years ago were suitcase size and cost like $2000. Of course its from China. It's $50. I was skeptical as hell. But, the Amazon reviews by Americans were numerous and obviously not faked. So I took the leap about 3 months ago. Happy to be the guinea pig on here.:-)
Hmm, I'll have to look, but even the link you sent on Amazon only has the one adapter. Here's what it looks like taped together, and the other pic is the end of the hose that goes into the CPAP...in order to clean the mask with this, the goofy end would have to go into the cleaner, which it clearly does not. Hence the tape job.
Attached: 20200226_194707.jpg (47.4 KB) 20200226_194748.jpg (107.7 KB) 
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 08:59 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Yes, you put it in a bag and then the hose comes out of the bag and in theory plugs into the cleaner, but in my cast I had to tape the hose to the adapter, it was not the right size. Still works fine though.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 13
« First < 678910 111213 >
Up