ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 301 of 324
« First < 201251291297298299300301 302303304305311 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
Megatron96 05:04 PM 02-13-2023
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
All of this. It was pretty clear that our goal was to contain the ground game as well as we could. Well, we did that, which was honestly a little surprising. But Hurts was simply incredible. Tip the cap and hope you can pull out a win.
Honestly I was shocked when I saw that his DL held that RB trio to 2.7 yds/carry. Our defense isn't built to just hold a top-5 rushing attack to under 3yds/carry for an entire game. And that trio had several 200 yd games this season, and at least one game where they ran for a ridiculous 340+ yds, I think. 340 yds in a pass-happy NFL game? In 2022?

But watching NFL Live's Marcus Spears this morning, and watching our LBs fire into the gaps, instead of waiting to see what happened as both NYG/SF did, is what appeared to make the difference. They attacked that running game, instead of trying to catch it. Great plan by Spags.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:05 PM 02-13-2023
Yep. Super Bowls XLII, LIV, and LVII. Not sure where the 4th is coming from. Although he's the only coordinator in history to win Super Bowls with multiple teams.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 05:15 PM 02-13-2023
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Yep. Super Bowls XLII, LIV, and LVII. Not sure where the 4th is coming from. Although he's the only coordinator in history to win Super Bowls with multiple teams.
I thought he got two with the Giants.

I had forgotten that Fewell was the DC for the 2011 Giants.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:01 PM 02-14-2023
I tend to agree, though I hope nothing comes of this

"SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Among the long-standing by-products of team success in the NFL is assistant coaches becoming hot commodities for the various head-coaching openings.

Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy has been the supposed next-man-up for a head-coaching job for the past few seasons with the sustained offensive success in Kansas City under Andy Reid.

Steve Spagnuolo, the Chiefs’ defensive coordinator since 2019?

Not so much.

“Spags,’’ as he’s affectionately known by coaching colleagues and players, curiously has slipped through the cracks in this head-coach interview process despite the fact his Kansas City defenses have been quite representative during the team’s five-year run that has the team in a third Super Bowl Sunday, against the Eagles at State Farm Stadium.

In his first of two stints as the Giants defensive coordinator, Spagnuolo’s defense was solely responsible for wrecking the Patriots’ bid for an undefeated season, sacking Tom Brady five times in a 17-14 Giants victory in Super Bowl XLII at the very stadium where the Chiefs will play the Eagles on Sunday.

That was Spagnuolo’s first Super Bowl ring. He got his second one in his first season as Chiefs defensive coordinator, in 2019.

Now, the 63-year-old native of Grafton, Mass., who’s never lost his New England accent, has a chance for a third ring in his fifth Super Bowl, and fourth as a defensive coordinator — a number that should elevate him into the conversation with some of the top men to man that position over the years, including Bill Belichick and Dick LeBeau to name a couple."

The rest of the story:
https://nypost.com/2023/02/09/chiefs...coaching-shot/
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 09:57 PM 03-10-2023
If you have time, I would encourage everyone to watch this by the Eagles' crew, including Seth Joyner. It's so, so good.

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:00 PM 03-10-2023
If you have time, I would encourage everyone to watch this by the Eagles' crew, including Seth Joyner. It's so, so good.

:-) 7:50

after all the shit we endured with GROB and Sutton playing the DBs soft constantly, seeing an opposing fanbase lament their very own defense doing that against us in the biggest game of them all? perfecto.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:15 PM 03-10-2023
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:

after all the shit we endured with GROB and Sutton playing the DBs soft constantly, seeing an opposing fanbase lament their very own defense doing that against us in the biggest game of them all? perfecto.
How does Gannon get a head coaching gig after THAT?
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:04 PM 03-10-2023
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:

I still see Spags getting grief on social media for the Super Bowl, but here's the thing.

In the 2nd half, his defense held the Eagles to a field goal (thanks to a critical sack by Saunders who ran his ass off to make the play), and forced a 3 and out in large part due to Spags dialing up his blitzing. They held the Eagles to 3 points in their first two drives in the second half. In the Patrick Mahomes era, that is all that was needed to flip the balance of the game to the Chiefs and give Patrick the ball with 5 minutes left for a game winning drive to win the Super Bowl. As a Chiefs fan, you take that hand every single time it's given to you.

In the golden era of Kansas City football, this is the exact defense Patrick needs to win a championship -- and to pull it off with a secondary and linebacking core where every player but Justin Reid is on their rookie contracts is just a masterstroke from Spags/Veach and our scouting.

And that's just the Super Bowl -- we're not even talking about the AFC Championship game, where, down Sneed and Gay, we witnessed the Chiefs' greatest playoff defensive stand in a half century to twice keep Joe Burrow from a game winning field goal to send us home.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:29 PM 03-10-2023
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
I still see Spags getting grief on social media for the Super Bowl, but here's the thing.

In the 2nd half, his defense held the Eagles to a field goal (thanks to a critical sack by Saunders who ran his ass off to make the play), and forced a 3 and out in large part due to blitzing for the Eagles first two drives in the half. In the Patrick Mahomes era, that is all that was needed to flip the balance of the game to the Chiefs and give Patrick the ball with 5 minutes left for a game winning drive to win the Super Bowl.

In the golden era of Kansas City football, that is the exact defense Patrick needs to win a championship -- and to pull it off with a secondary and linebacking core that are ALL on their rookie contracts is just a masterstroke from Spags/Veach and our scouting.

And that's just the Super Bowl -- we're not even talking about the AFC Championship game, where we witnessed the Chiefs greatest playoff defensive stand in a half century to keep Joe Burrow from a game winning field goal to send us home.
post is spot on

it's never going to be the defense's job to go win the game in the mahomes era

but they did more than once this postseason, and the rest of the time, got critical stops when they were needed

mission accomplished

as long as the defense gets on base, mahomes will drive in the run
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:13 AM 03-11-2023
I'll keep saying it.

Spags defenses are not among the best defenses statistically, but his defenses since becoming the Chiefs DC have been among the best situational defenses I've ever seen. They just make big game-changing plays in the playoffs in the biggest moments. Without superstars studded all over it. Just a lot of smart, physical, fast guys, led by a coach that might be the best defensive game-planner in the league.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:59 AM 03-11-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
I'll keep saying it.

Spags defenses are not among the best defenses statistically, but his defenses since becoming the Chiefs DC have been among the best situational defenses I've ever seen. They just make big game-changing plays in the playoffs in the biggest moments. Without superstars studded all over it. Just a lot of smart, physical, fast guys, led by a coach that might be the best defensive game-planner in the league.
Might also be one of the best teachers/developers of talent as well.
[Reply]
Chieftain 04:53 AM 03-11-2023
How does Gannon get a head coaching gig after THAT?
He is young and white.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 06:12 AM 03-11-2023
Might also be one of the best teachers/developers of talent as well.
Especially with our DBs.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:06 AM 03-11-2023
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:

In the 2nd half, his defense held the Eagles to a field goal (thanks to a critical sack by Saunders who ran his ass off to make the play), and forced a 3 and out in large part due to Spags dialing up his blitzing. They held the Eagles to 3 points in their first two drives in the second half. In the Patrick Mahomes era, that is all that was needed to flip the balance of the game to the Chiefs and give Patrick the ball with 5 minutes left for a game winning drive to win the Super Bowl. As a Chiefs fan, you take that hand every single time it's given to you.

In the golden era of Kansas City football, this is the exact defense Patrick needs to win a championship -- and to pull it off with a secondary and linebacking core that are ALL on their rookie contracts is just a masterstroke from Spags/Veach and our scouting.

And that's just the Super Bowl -- we're not even talking about the AFC Championship game, where, down Sneed and Gay, we witnessed the Chiefs' greatest playoff defensive stand in a half century to twice keep Joe Burrow from a game winning field goal to send us home.
The eagles were in the Super Bowl for a reason. There are always offenses that are gonna eat no matter what you throw at them. Our defense gave up points and yards because the eagles executed. Very well coached team with absurd talent at wr and OL. It’s not like we were calling bad plays or blowing assignments or whiffing on tackles.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 07:59 AM 03-11-2023
I'm not sure how bullshit hero balls can ever be blamed on the DC and the Eagles scored most of their points on that and that bullshit rugby play that shouldn't be legal.
[Reply]
Page 301 of 324
« First < 201251291297298299300301 302303304305311 > Last »
Up