ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 300 of 324
« First < 200250290296297298299300 301302303304310 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
Danguardace 07:58 AM 02-13-2023
The key here was keeping the running backs quiet. Hurts just had a great day you can't account for some of his plays. On another day his productivity is 20-30% less at least.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:30 PM 02-13-2023
Spags is the man. Best DC the Chiefs ever had.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 04:33 PM 02-13-2023
With our offense, we just needed to keep the Eagles out of the endzone on two drives to flip the game.

On a day where both defenses were playing in a skating rink, Spags was able to pull it off.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 04:43 PM 02-13-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
He really is. Burt gets credit for the draft, but Spags and his crew are the guys that 1) coach them up, and 2) allow them to play.

Hey, Spags, how about starting this 7th round DB?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 04:46 PM 02-13-2023
the man has three super bowl rings
[Reply]
R Clark 04:48 PM 02-13-2023
He needs two more with the chiefs
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:50 PM 02-13-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Please elaborate on the bad concepts.

I didn't see many. I thought Spags didn't blitz enough from the outside in a couple of situations but he may have pulled off that in the game plan after several bonehead plays by his secondary against some really basic plays. I also thought he should have run blitzed in a few situations early, but he did end up correcting it and doing it a few times in the 2nd half with Gay.

And if anyone questions the Dunlap play in coverage on the zone blitz that should have gotten home when Hurts made a tremendous play, I'm going to fucking bitch slap them all the way to the statue then let Billay teabag them.
I figured A-Gap blitzes could do damage and man those got STONEWALLED.

And I felt like he kept using them in critical situations. But I also wonder if those weren't designed more to attack the run than the pass.

I think they were just really focused on bottling up the ground game and forcing Hurts to the middle with his runs.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:54 PM 02-13-2023
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
The eagles are really really good on offense. Outstanding OL. Elite WRs. Really good RBs. And Hurts is way better than I imagined he’d ever be. And they are flat out unstoppable on short yardage as long as they are allowed to keep doing that scrum formation.

Our second half defense did just enough to help us win. And even if they got the ball back late in the game we would’ve shut that down too. Spags was instrumental to winning the first Super Bowl. We don’t get to the Super Bowl if not for our Defense dominating burrow. It wasn’t pretty but spags got the job done.
I heard a thought exercise years ago and it was "What would the value of a guy who guarantees 1 yard, no more and no less, every time you give him the ball.

That's it - he gets one yard and then is done every single time. What value would you put on that guy?

My position was that I'd give a 1st rounder for that guy without blinking and I think last night watching the frustration of KNOWING that the Eagles could get 1 yard anytime they wanted I'm only more convinced.

They can do things on 2nd and 3rd down differently because they know that they'll get that yard if they need it in short yardage situations. I've never seen a team that just spams a concept like that and it ALWAYS works.

G'damn it was frustrating.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:57 PM 02-13-2023
Originally Posted by saturnknts:
Isn't Spags now a 4 time SB winner? Kind of hard to argue about the man.
I believe he and Crennel are the only guys in history to pile up 4 SB rings as assistants.

There's a chance the guy goes into the HoF as a coordinator.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:57 PM 02-13-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I figured A-Gap blitzes could do damage and man those got STONEWALLED.

And I felt like he kept using them in critical situations. But I also wonder if those weren't designed more to attack the run than the pass.

I think they were just really focused on bottling up the ground game and forcing Hurts to the middle with his runs.
When you look at it from the perspective of a DC going into the SB, his gameplan made a ton of sense. Hurts wasn't throwing well in the two pervious playoff games, barely threw for 300 yds in those two games combined, many of this throws were in the dirt or otherwise off-target, but their running attack was crushing it.

So, Spags took away their run game. I said in one of the pre-game threads that I wanted to see our defense somehow hold the PHI rushing attack to under 4 yds/carry. Well, they did that. In spades, to the tune of 2.7yds/carry.

He basically dared Hurts to beat his defense by throwing it.

And who could've predicted that Hurts would throw as well as he did?

I mean, he was throwing dimes and darts all over the yard. That one to Goedert on the 7 route or whatever it was to the sideline between a pair of our defenders was a pure-D dot. He couldn't have trotted over and handed the ball to Goedert as precisely.

And he had a lot of throws like that, catches that were contested, but he just threw a better ball than could be defended. that's not on Spags, that was just an elite performance by Hurts and his receivers.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:59 PM 02-13-2023
He's gotten 3 I'm pretty sure.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:59 PM 02-13-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I heard a thought exercise years ago and it was "What would the value of a guy who guarantees 1 yard, no more and no less, every time you give him the ball.

That's it - he gets one yard and then is done every single time. What value would you put on that guy?

My position was that I'd give a 1st rounder for that guy without blinking and I think last night watching the frustration of KNOWING that the Eagles could get 1 yard anytime they wanted I'm only more convinced.

They can do things on 2nd and 3rd down differently because they know that they'll get that yard if they need it in short yardage situations. I've never seen a team that just spams a concept like that and it ALWAYS works.

G'damn it was frustrating.
Marcus Allen was the best to ever do it for the Chiefs. I think he was around 98% to convert on anything 3rd-and-2 or shorter. As automatic as it gets in the NFL.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 04:59 PM 02-13-2023
When you look at it from the perspective of a DC going into the SB, his gameplan made a ton of sense. Hurts wasn't throwing well in the two pervious playoff games, barely threw for 300 yds in those two games combined, many of this throws were in the dirt or otherwise off-target, but their running attack was crushing it.

So, Spags took away their run game. I said in one of the pre-game threads that I wanted to see our defense somehow hold the PHI rushing attack to under 4 yds/carry. Well, they did that. In spades, to the tune of 2.7yds/carry.

He basically dared Hurts to beat his defense by throwing it.

And who could've predicted that Hurts would throw as well as he did?

I mean, he was throwing dimes and darts all over the yard. That one to Goedert on the 7 route or whatever it was to the sideline between a pair of our defenders was a pure-D dot. He couldn't have trotted over and handed the ball to Goedert as precisely.

And he had a lot of throws like that, catches that were contested, but he just threw a better ball than could be defended. that's not on Spags, that was just an elite performance by Hurts and his receivers.
All of this. It was pretty clear that our goal was to contain the ground game as well as we could. Well, we did that, which was honestly a little surprising. But Hurts was simply incredible. Tip the cap and hope you can pull out a win.
[Reply]
Bump 05:01 PM 02-13-2023
our defense was as disaster the year before spags and the Chiefs lost if they didn't put up at least 40, even lost while putting up 50 before Spags.

People were acting like we weren't playing the NFC champs and that the defense should just dominate. The Eagles had a pretty good defense you know and I'm sure their fans were complaining about their defense more than we were about ours.

Spags is good, he good.
[Reply]
RunKC 05:01 PM 02-13-2023
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
4th and 5 conversion by Hurts was an awful defensive playcall. 5 in the box? For real? When he's been gashing all game? Bolton also executed very poorly on that particular play but he should've had some help.
That was during the time when our defense was on the field for 23 straight minutes of game time, which was at least 40-45 mins.

I still have no idea why they didn’t call timeout during either 4th down just to figure out a good playcall, no less give the guys a breather.

Bolton was beat but it looked like he was tired from being on the field so much at the time.

Not sure if calling a TJ noir would be an Andy or Spags thing for the defense
[Reply]
Page 300 of 324
« First < 200250290296297298299300 301302303304310 > Last »
Up