Pitcher

Edit:
Matheny fired 07/14/2018

Opening Day Roster
Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:41 PM 05-07-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Hard to predict pen usage, and he can't come up within 10 days w/o a corresponding injury.
l thought once you were called up in a season, you can go up and down without the 10 day rule?
[Reply]
kcpasco 06:42 PM 05-07-2018
Never thought I would say this but automated strike zone please.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:45 PM 05-07-2018
Originally Posted by kcpasco:
Never thought I would say this but automated strike zone please.
yeah that was bad but as long as our guy gets those calls the batters can adjust.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:50 PM 05-07-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
l thought once you were called up in a season, you can go up and down without the 10 day rule?
Nope. Once you are sent down in a season it uses up an option year and you can go up/down numerous times w/o being released.
[Reply]
O.city 06:58 PM 05-07-2018
I'm kind of amazed that DeJong has doubled his walk rate from last year. His decline in average is directly correlated to a decrease in his BABIP (which was unsustainable last year), but his ISO is very close to last year. He hasn't played as well defensively, though.

Carpenter is hitting more line drives this year and fewer flyballs. It will depress his HR totals, but his average has to creep up. Just be patient. Fowler has the worst BABIP in baseball and Carpenter is 10th worst, but 40% of his contact is hard. It's just bad luck. If you bench him now, you're likely robbing the team of his regression to the mean, which means a month where he hits .400.
Yeah DeJong legitimately drawing walks is surprising. Iirc, and I’m too lazy to look, he’s stroll striking out a fair amount but atleast the walks are there so theoretically I guess it’s better.

I’m just not sure he’s the long term short stop
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:09 PM 05-07-2018
Nope. Once you are sent down in a season it uses up an option year and you can go up/down numerous times w/o being released.
there ya go. That’s what l was thinking.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:14 PM 05-07-2018
I'm kind of amazed that DeJong has doubled his walk rate from last year. His decline in average is directly correlated to a decrease in his BABIP (which was unsustainable last year), but his ISO is very close to last year. He hasn't played as well defensively, though.

Carpenter is hitting more line drives this year and fewer flyballs. It will depress his HR totals, but his average has to creep up. Just be patient. Fowler has the worst BABIP in baseball and Carpenter is 10th worst, but 40% of his contact is hard. It's just bad luck. If you bench him now, you're likely robbing the team of his regression to the mean, which means a month where he hits .400.
He’s still looking to walk way too much. You have that lopsided shift used against him. Yet he refuses to take the outside pitch that’s up and just flick it to the left side and that huge hole in the infield. Instead he strikes out. How many of his strikeouts were that same pitch? There’s a book on him now. He has to do something different. You can’t be hitting .165 and just keep doing the same thing.
[Reply]
O.city 07:20 PM 05-07-2018
You don’t go changing your approach that quickly. The numbers say it’ll work out
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:03 PM 05-07-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:
You don’t go changing your approach that quickly. The numbers say it’ll work out
those last two strikeouts were a great example. He does a a simple inside out swing he’s got two base hits instead of Two strikeouts.

He should be doing that regardless of a slump. They are going to give you a single every time, take that every time.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:07 PM 05-07-2018

FWIW: Kolten Wong's been the best defensive second baseman in baseball so far this season, per Fielding Bible Runs Saved. He was +6 entering tonight's game.

— Ben Frederickson (@Ben_Fred) May 7, 2018

[Reply]
Frazod 08:09 PM 05-07-2018
The Cubs appear to be off the schneid. All it took was playing a horrible team at home. :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:46 PM 05-07-2018
Originally Posted by Frazod:
The Cubs appear to be off the schneid. All it took was playing a horrible team at home. :-)
and conversely the Cardinals are flat after the two come from behind wins, extra innings, National TV, rain delays and the sweep of the Cubs over the weekend.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 08:52 PM 05-07-2018
....and that falls on Matheny
[Reply]
Frazod 09:09 PM 05-07-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
and conversely the Cardinals are flat after the two come from behind wins, extra innings, National TV, rain delays and the sweep of the Cubs over the weekend.
Not surprising.
[Reply]
bdj23 11:41 AM 05-08-2018
I wish Martinez would stop hitting batters
[Reply]
Page 67 of 301
« First < 17576364656667 6869707177117167 > Last »
Up