ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Nzoner's Game Room>COLD summer meals !!
Mr. Wizard 07:08 PM 06-03-2020
It hit 100 today in western Kansas. We are always looking for meals that are easy on the body and we actually want to eat when it is hot as hell. We would appreciate your input!

So far our go to's are;

chicken or tuna salad wraps (traditional chicken or tuna salad fixed the night before and left in the fridge then rolled in a tortilla.)
PS - I hard boiled 4 eggs in the microwave yesterday- cover with water, add 1/2 tbsp salt, cook for 10 min, take out and run cool water over and let sit)

Taco salad 2 lb cooked hamburger then crunch up cheesy or taco flavored Doritos in a bowl. Add cold sliced avocado, lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream, salsa of choice. (all refrigerated except hamburger) then top with ranch dressing.

We can't wait to find your go to summer cool down meals!
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 03:56 AM 06-04-2020
A quart of Baseball Nut ice cream from Baskin Robbins 31 flavors!
[Reply]
JD10367 06:10 AM 06-04-2020
My wife and I do two different non-mayo pasta salads, which are pretty easy.

#1: pasta, tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, lemon zest & juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil

#2: pasta, spinach leaves, tomato, feta, balsamic vinegar, olive oil
[Reply]
Jenson71 07:24 AM 06-04-2020
Originally Posted by JD10367:
My wife and I do two different non-mayo pasta salads, which are pretty easy.

#1: pasta, tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, lemon zest & juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil
I do this one, without the pasta. It's Caprese salad.

For another great side, have chilled Norwegian sweet soup:https://www.cheaprecipeblog.com/2015...oup-sot-suppe/
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:30 AM 06-04-2020
Not a meal, but for a side or snack, I like a fruit salsa with various berries, melons, apples, citrus and a little sugar food processed and served with cinnamon pita chips.
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 10:57 AM 06-04-2020
Here's our family Tuna recipe:

4 cans Tuna
half white onion chopped fine
2 tablespoons of canned/ diced jalapenos plus some juice from the can
1.5 tablespoons of old bays seasoning
3 tablespoons mayo

finish on top with a healthy sprinkle of smoked paprika and dried parsley flakes.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 01:17 PM 06-04-2020
Egg nogg
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:24 PM 06-04-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Rain Man gums his sammies. . . .
Some people get enraged by social issues. Others get enraged by politics or religion. As for me, I save my rage for those times when I take a bite out of a sandwich and suddenly the entire middle comes out because no normal person can bite through a leaf of green lettuce cleanly, and sandwich makers know that but willingly ignore it.
[Reply]
ptlyon 01:26 PM 06-04-2020
You gotta stand for something, or fall for anything
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:26 PM 06-04-2020
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
Egg nogg
Get ya a refill? . . . fix ya somethin' to eat? Drive ya out in the middle of nowhere? Leave ya for dead?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:29 PM 06-04-2020
Put your wife in the walk in for about an hour, take her out, pants off, nom nom nom.
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:26 PM 06-04-2020
Mul-naengmyeon ("mool-nay-eng Me-yun" kinda run the pronunciation together for best effect) Korean icy cold noodles:

The cold beef broth is tangy, savory (sometimes spicy), and a little sweet and the noodles are soft but chewy at the same time. Any broth can be used, beef is just traditional. The noodles are usually buckwheat and/or sweet potato, which makes them slightly firmer than wheat based-noodles. Sliced roast beef/brisket is the usual protein.

Recipe for 'dummies':
https://www.maangchi.com/ingredient/buckwheat-noodles

Mori soba: Japanese cold noodles

The pic here is rather plain, however a variety of fresh veggies can be added to this dish for flavor. I like julienned carrots, cucumbers or Japanese pickles, pickled Daikon radish, thinly sliced egg omelette (basically a scrambled egg cooked flat to look like a tortilla, with/without diced scallions), cooked/uncooked bean sprouts, fried fish cakes, kim chi, etc. The trick is the broth, which you can buy
https://www.posharpstore.com/en/kikk...hoctfkqavd_bwe. Dilute if necessary with plain water, as it can be salty. Also you'll want some wasabi to taste.

something to keep in mind: the broth tends to be salty, so any cooked veggies/protein you add should be very lightly salted or not at all. Makes things easy during prep.

Almost forgot, the other trick is cooking the noodles properly so that they are slightly chewy. This video may be helpful for that:

[Reply]
ptlyon 02:39 PM 06-04-2020
Hey Mega - do you have a good recipe for ponzu?
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:44 PM 06-04-2020
Here's one that I like a lot:

Here's a basic recipe:
https://www.hungryhuy.com/bun-thit-n...li-vegetables/

Grilled beef, or chicken or whatever can be used, with the same marinade. I'm trying to get rid of some extra pounds so i've been skipping the egg roll. Very tasty, sweet and savory (bonus: health-conscious) meal. Instead of noodles, I've been using cauliflower rice or brown rice. Add a little Sriracha to the dipping sauce or the marinade for extra flavor.
[Reply]
sedated 02:47 PM 06-04-2020
Last night I had the same craving for a cold dinner so had a chicken Caesar salad.

My next run to the store I'm going to make shrimp ceviche.
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:53 PM 06-04-2020
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Hey Mega - do you have a good recipe for ponzu?
I don't think it's a real recipe, it's just something my dad taught me when I was a kid.

½ cup soy sauce
½ cup citrus juice
lemon zest from one lemon (optional but worth it)
2 Tbsp mirin (2 Tbsp sake or water + 2 tsp sugar)
1/3 cup katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes) Or less. To taste really. I'd start around a tablespoon and work up from there
1 piece kombu (dried kelp) (2" x 3" strip; 6 g) just placed in the sauce. Take it out if your going to keep the sauce for more than a day or it makes the sauce too 'kelpy'

My dad originally showed me how to make this without the lemon zest, or the kombu. A cheat for the kombu is to take a single 2x3 inch piece of nori and just allow it to steep in the sauce.

Another thing to tweak is the amount of mirin. Start at 1 tablespoon, mix everything up and taste. If you want a little more sweetness, add a teaspoon and taste again. Repeat until you hit the right balance (3 teapoons is 1 tablespoon).
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up