ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Nico Collins - WR, Michigan
wachashi 04:52 PM 02-18-2021
He's 6' 4" 215 lbs and led the BIG with 19.7-yard average per catch in 2019. Opted out in 2020. He'll win jump balls and contested catches.

Do you like him in our offense? If so, in what round?

Michigan's offense doesn't produce many highlights, but here are his:

[Reply]
staylor26 05:27 PM 02-18-2021
If Andy wants a true X, Collins would be a great fit.
[Reply]
wachashi 06:17 PM 02-18-2021

One opt-out player who showed up looking different at Senior Bowl was @UMichFootball WR Nico Collins. @lbg_nico7 was 230 lbs on ‘19 tape but weighed 215 lbs in Mobile. This rep winning vertical vs maybe the fastest player in the game, Oklahoma CB Tré Brown, is evidence of that. pic.twitter.com/Bduo0ev4Ec

— Jim Nagy (@JimNagy_SB) February 13, 2021

[Reply]
wachashi 06:31 PM 02-18-2021

Some impressive reps from Michigan WR Nico Collins this week. Gets the CB to miss the jam at the line, push vertical and stack, adjust and high-point the ball. Big-play traits down the field. pic.twitter.com/jqHrwcPwMq

— Evan Lazar (@ezlazar) January 27, 2021

[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:06 PM 02-18-2021
I like him a lot; I think he'd be a real mismatch problem paired with Hill and Kelce. He's aggressive and physical; back shoulder grabs would be gimmes, and what a weapon in the red zone.
[Reply]
The Franchise 07:11 PM 02-18-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I like him a lot; I think he'd be a real mismatch problem paired with Hill and Kelce. He's aggressive and physical; back shoulder grabs would be gimmes, and what a weapon in the red zone.
This. It’s just a question of when does he go. I’ve seen him gone in the 2nd and I’ve seen him last to the 4th.
[Reply]
staylor26 07:13 PM 02-18-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
This. It’s just a question of when does he go. I’ve seen him gone in the 2nd and I’ve seen him last to the 4th.
Your guess is as good as the experts.

I’d say somewhere in the middle.
[Reply]
wachashi 08:11 PM 02-18-2021
I think he brings baked-in value his first year as a red-zone target. Rookie receivers struggle to thrive in this offense because it's complex and we have good players in front of them, but I think he could carve out a role early. He may not create tons of separation, but Mahomes will happily throw to guys that aren't wide open, as long as they're on the same page. I like the fact this guy doesn't need to be schemed open. Just throw the ball into his giant catch radius, where only he has a chance to grab it, and see what happens.

Does he go top 50? Top 75? Doesn't seem like there's any consensus whatsoever on this guy.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:22 PM 02-18-2021
Others have said he doesn't fit Reid's prototype, etc.

Thing is; we've brought several bigger receivers in, they've just been UDFA's and scrap-heap guys like Benjamin, Fortson, and Kemp. They just haven't worked out, but that doesn't mean the RIGHT GUY might not.

This kid would have one on one coverage every snap. Probably against a 3rd corner. You could jump ball and back shoulder this kid all game long and he'll eat up smaller corners.

I like it. I've seen him going in the 3rd to early 4th and I think he'd be a steal in that range.
[Reply]
iSavedLatin 01:53 AM 02-19-2021
He's one of my absolute favorite receivers in the draft. He's a big dude who knows how to use his body well. He shields defenders on hooks and comeback routes. He's physical and goes aggressively at the high point. He works the sideline well. He's probably the best blocker I've seen at the WR position in this class--he's got a nastiness to him and uses his size and length. I've seen him anywhere from the early/mid 2nd to the early 4th.

All that said, he doesn't seem to fit the profile for an Andy Reid receiver. He's not a 'twitchy' athlete. I hope I'm wrong because I'd love to see us pick him up in rounds 2-4. As another poster stated, he'd be a red zone threat, at the very least, in his first year. Josh Imatorbhebhe, a likely pick in the later rounds, might profile out as the typical big bodied receiver Reid likes because he looks like a Dollar Store DK Metcalf sort of freakish athlete, but Collins seems to have a better understanding and passion for the game than Josh I. While I'd prefer Collins early, I'd be happy with Imatorbhebhe later.
[Reply]
Dull Tools 03:28 AM 02-19-2021
The consensus big board has him at 163 and have him projected as a 6th round pick. So he could be available for our 4th round pick. I doubt he actually ends up going later than that.

He looks like the exact type of receiver I want in the draft.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:19 AM 02-19-2021
We talked about Collins a bit in the "The logic of drafting OT in the 1st" thread.

Lots of people like him but I don't think anybody sees the Chiefs drafting someone like him.
[Reply]
wachashi 08:46 AM 02-19-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Others have said he doesn't fit Reid's prototype, etc.

Thing is; we've brought several bigger receivers in, they've just been UDFA's and scrap-heap guys like Benjamin, Fortson, and Kemp. They just haven't worked out, but that doesn't mean the RIGHT GUY might not.
This is what I'm thinking. There's plenty of evidence this team would like to have a big-bodied X receiver. Don't forget about Jamal Custis in 2019 (6' 4" 214 lbs). They haven't invested draft capital in one yet but it wouldn't shock me if they did.

Chiefs were so determined to add more WR talent that they gave undrafted Syracuse WR Jamal Custis over $100K in guaranteed money, believed to be the highest guarantee for any undrafted WR over the past two drafts, per source.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) May 3, 2019

[Reply]
kccrow 11:42 AM 02-19-2021
I like Seth Williams alot more in the same range.
[Reply]
wachashi 01:09 PM 02-22-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I like Seth Williams alot more in the same range.
Both Collins and Williams were mentioned in this Arrowhead Pride article:

3 wide receivers the Chiefs should target after round two

[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up