ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Riding/Zero Turn Mowers
blake5676 08:00 AM 10-08-2020
Anyone have strong opinions on best brand, new/used, deck width, etc? We're a few weeks from finishing up building our new house. It's on slightly less than two acres so I'll be needing to get a new mower.

Zero turns look like a hell of a lot of fun, so I'm inclined to go that route. I've heard multiple people throughout the years say things like "just don't go buying one from HD, Lowe's, Menards" and to buy one from a reputable dealer.

Would like to stay somewhere between $2-5k and don't have a terribly strong preference on whether I buy new or used, but any suggestions from the CP hive on your experiences or advice on what to stay away from?
[Reply]
Iowanian 10:25 AM 10-08-2020
I have a 60" Bad Boy zero turn with the Kawasaki engine.
I think I've had it for 5-6 years now and it's required very little maintenance or repair so far. It takes 2-3hrs to mow my yard, I do mow around a pond and some rougher areas than the typical urban yard.

If it has a downfall, I don't feel like it does as well on side hills as I would like, and like most mowers will struggle with thick-wet grass.

My brother has a similar model, a year newer and put more agressive tires on it and it works much better than the factory tires.
[Reply]
TribalElder 10:43 AM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
I have a 60" Bad Boy zero turn with the Kawasaki engine.
I think I've had it for 5-6 years now and it's required very little maintenance or repair so far. It takes 2-3hrs to mow my yard, I do mow around a pond and some rougher areas than the typical urban yard.

If it has a downfall, I don't feel like it does as well on side hills as I would like, and like most mowers will struggle with thick-wet grass.

My brother has a similar model, a year newer and put more agressive tires on it and it works much better than the factory tires.
Tweels ?

[Reply]
Iowanian 10:44 AM 10-08-2020
I've never seen those before, but consider me intrigued.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 10:47 AM 10-08-2020
When will we get zero turn automobiles?
[Reply]
TribalElder 10:52 AM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
I've never seen those before, but consider me intrigued.

I think you can get them for most mowers now
[Reply]
KS Smitty 11:14 AM 10-08-2020
From a friend earlier this summer:

Since purchasing a brand new zero turn mower late last summer mowing has become much easier...
Our fifth wheel camper is parked next to the pond. It is on a gentle slope, but the area where the wheels set has been leveled, leaving the decline under the front of the trailer where the hitch resides.
I was maneuvering the mower around the camper and from the lower side of the slope nudged the mower deck beneath the overhang of the camper. I recall noting how I was able to reach enough from the lower side I would probably be able to reach the rest of it when I went around to the high side. On what I intended to be the final push under the extended part of the camper things went awry.
The left steering arm made contact with the hitch protruding downward at the very front of the overhang, causing the mower to execute its zero turn action. My face and torso were smashed against the bottom of the overhang pushing me backward over the seat back and when I was pushed back far enough my posterior was no longer in contact with the seat the safety switch was activated and shut off the engine leaving me wedged between the mower and the trailer overhang.
I remember being unable to breathe as my chest was compressed....I was shaken but able to walk and we made our way to the house... They took x-rays and a CT scan, then consulted with an orthopedic surgeon about the compression fractures on three of my vertebrae.
[Reply]
MagicHef 11:54 AM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:

Since purchasing a brand new zero turn mower late last summer mowing has become much easier...
Our fifth wheel camper is parked next to the pond. It is on a gentle slope, but the area where the wheels set has been leveled, leaving the decline under the front of the trailer where the hitch resides.
I was maneuvering the mower around the camper and from the lower side of the slope nudged the mower deck beneath the overhang of the camper. I recall noting how I was able to reach enough from the lower side I would probably be able to reach the rest of it when I went around to the high side. On what I intended to be the final push under the extended part of the camper things went awry.
The left steering arm made contact with the hitch protruding downward at the very front of the overhang, causing the mower to execute its zero turn action. My face and torso were smashed against the bottom of the overhang pushing me backward over the seat back and when I was pushed back far enough my posterior was no longer in contact with the seat the safety switch was activated and shut off the engine leaving me wedged between the mower and the trailer overhang.
I remember being unable to breathe as my chest was compressed....I was shaken but able to walk and we made our way to the house... They took x-rays and a CT scan, then consulted with an orthopedic surgeon about the compression fractures on three of my vertebrae.
I'd say everyone should avoid doing that.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:12 PM 10-08-2020

[Reply]
Dayze 07:30 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
:-)
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:48 PM 10-08-2020
used to have one of those when I was skinnier
[Reply]
F150 07:23 AM 10-09-2020
I have a Farris ZT 27 HP Kawasaki motor...its about 11 years old, never been to the shop for anything mut usual maintenance I mow 3 acres and do rough trimming as well. Slopes are a bugger with all of them, dont try steep pond dam fronts or you could go for an expensive swim.

Id buy a Farris again
[Reply]
Lzen 07:43 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:

Geez, that's crazy. Yeah, you have to be careful not to hit anything with the steering arms. I have some trees with low branches that I have to be careful around for this very reason.
[Reply]
Lzen 07:45 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by F150:
I have a Farris ZT 27 HP Kawasaki motor...its about 11 years old, never been to the shop for anything mut usual maintenance I mow 3 acres and do rough trimming as well. Slopes are a bugger with all of them, dont try steep pond dam fronts or you could go for an expensive swim.

Id buy a Farris again
Aren't Farris professional-grade mowers? I have a buddy who has a 60" Farris and I think he paid about $11k for it. Yikes! But he has a side mowing business.
[Reply]
Lzen 07:46 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
Tweels ?

Those are cool but looking around I'm seeing they are very expensive ($300-$600 per tire).
[Reply]
blake5676 08:11 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by F150:

Id buy a Farris again
I have a patient at my office who is trying to talk me into buying a Ferris...he swears by them and says they're the best. The one he keeps showing my is like $14k :-) I'm really trying to stay under $5k and all this asshole keeps talking to me about is Ferris and something about greasing spindle bearings. I'm totally out of my element on this.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up