I-90 closed in Minnesota.
Many side roads closed too.
My girlfriend is stuck in Rochester MN.
[Reply]
ptlyon 10:44 AM 02-25-2019
https://mobile.twitter.com/WxKanost/...66215168860160
[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:19 AM 02-25-2019
I'd be interested to hear if all these extreme cold has done even the tiniest thing to help the glaciers in the arctic?

I'll assume the answer is "no, so we have to go the AOC route", but it would be nice to see the pics that prove the glaciers didn't change at all, and even got worse. You know, doomsday scientists... They're fun to watch sometimes..
[Reply]
ptlyon 11:22 AM 02-25-2019
Glory - it has helped the glaciers hanging off the side of my house, if that helps
[Reply]
Fish 11:25 AM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I'd be interested to hear if all these extreme cold has done even the tiniest thing to help the glaciers in the arctic?

I'll assume the answer is "no, so we have to go the AOC route", but it would be nice to see the pics that prove the glaciers didn't change at all, and even got worse. You know, doomsday scientists... They're fun to watch sometimes..
The recent extreme cold is due to cold air migrating south from the arctic. So the arctic is currently warmer than normal. Arctic ice is at its 3rd lowest point since humans started taking satellite measurements.

Originally Posted by :
New year lows once again
January 7, 2019

As 2018 came to a close, Arctic sea ice extent was tracking at its third lowest level in the satellite record, while sea ice in the Antarctic remained at historic lows. Slightly faster growth in the first few days of the new year, mostly in the Pacific sea ice areas, has the daily sea ice extent at fifth lowest as of this post.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/2019/01/

[Reply]
sedated 11:31 AM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:

A harsh winter in one area of the world does not mean that global climate is getting colder. For example, melting of glaciers can cause ocean currents or jet streams to shift, bringing colder air from parts of the world that don't aren't normally a part of that area's weather.

EDIT: Meh, Fish beat me to it.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:35 AM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
The recent extreme cold is due to cold air migrating south from the arctic. So the arctic is currently warmer than normal. Arctic ice is at its 3rd lowest point since humans started taking satellite measurements.
So its lowest point in about 50 years, on a planet that is 5.5 billion years old?
[Reply]
Bwana 11:45 AM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
ONLY IN MINNESOTA: Jodi J. See says her husband decided to snow blow the roof. Don't worry, he got it done and got down safely! Thanks for sharing this amazing video, Jodi! pic.twitter.com/slgZrwi4Ve
— WCCO - CBS Minnesota (@WCCO) February 25, 2019
Heh, I beg to differ, I had to do the same thing last year on the garage roof. I had some massive ice dams and water was starting to back up into one of the vents and enter the garage. I had to heave my snow blower to the roof, blow off the snow and the get after the ice with a dead blow hammer. Not a pleasant day.
Attached: 1snow1.jpg (44.8 KB) 
[Reply]
Frazod 11:47 AM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by Bwana:
Heh, I beg to differ, I had to do the same thing last year on the garage roof. I had some massive ice dams and water was starting to back up into one of the vents and enter the garage. I had to heave my snow blower to the roof, blow off the snow and the get after the ice with a dead blow hammer. Not a pleasant day.
Holy shit, that's horrible.
[Reply]
Bwana 11:51 AM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Holy shit, that's horrible.
Yeah some of the drifts up there were around 4 feet, so it took forever to get it done. My saving grace was the fact that they used roll roofing and not regular shingles, so there wasn't any damage. Whoever built the garage didn't put much pitch in it. I installed heat cables this fall on the roof and in the gutters, but to be honest, I'm not impressed.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 12:21 PM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
As I expected, basically there's nothing we can do.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 12:56 PM 02-25-2019

From Austin, Minnesota... I can’t... like... where do you even begin to clear? #mnwx pic.twitter.com/KyQbUrBQzP

— Blaise Keller (@blaisekellerr) February 25, 2019

[Reply]
Buehler445 12:57 PM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:

Close that bitch before it comes caving in, you fuck.
[Reply]
Cntrygal 01:23 PM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
So a heat wave :-)
LOL!

People are out without their jackets zipped up.
[Reply]
Page 19 of 36
« First < 91516171819 2021222329 > Last »
Up