ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 181
« First < 56789 101112131959109 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***** Official 2018-2019 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread *****
saphojunkie 12:37 PM 04-04-2018
Fuck the Final Four. Championship or bust, baby.

Will update as people declare for the draft/transfer/commit

ROSTER:

Spoiler!

BYE BYE

Spoiler!

FULL SCHEDULE:

https://kuathletics.com/documents/20...9_schedule.pdf

Spoiler!

PHILLIPS 66 BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP

Spoiler!

NCAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP:

Spoiler!

More updates to come.

Let's go get Championship number 4 (6)!
[Reply]
Lex Luthor 11:18 AM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Dont know the answer but was Self happy with the guy? Could he be upset with his firing?
It’s about damn time they fired Zenger. He obviously had nothing to do with success of the basketball team, and the football team is arguably the worst in the nation.

Good riddance.
[Reply]
Kiimo 11:36 AM 05-21-2018
Dont know the answer but was Self happy with the guy? Could he be upset with his firing?
Self isn't dumb, people get fired when they can't do their job and his job was to get football on the winning track and it is definitely, inarguably, hilariously NOT on the right track.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:37 AM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor:
It’s about damn time they fired Zenger. He obviously had nothing to do with success of the basketball team, and the football team is arguably the worst in the nation.

Good riddance.
Oh I agree. But, maybe the next guy wants to get involved in the basketball program? I'm sure Self would be like, thanks but I'll let you know if I need something. As long as that's the SOP between the AD and Self, I'm sure he doesn't care who the AD is currently.

They need to do something with the football program but I could care less about that if anything associated with that effort upsets Self.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 11:44 AM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
At least I hope it’s football not impending doom from the FBI investigation
Would be odd timing if it were related to the football program. Should of made that move many months ago.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:44 AM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor:

Good riddance.
Whut! Linki?
[Reply]
Monkey God 11:51 AM 05-21-2018
At least I hope it’s football not impending doom from the FBI investigation
The FBI thing couldn't have helped his situation...but the athletic program has some other issues going on off the field...It hasn't been a story in KC yet, but has been in both Topeka and Wichita...hazing and department cover up in the cheerleading program. I know sounds like a joke, but may end up in a big $$$ lawsuit and possible criminal action. There are some Title IX issues being brought up currently, and of course the whole lack of football success. The big surprise was how sudden the move was.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:52 AM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Monkey God:
The FBI thing couldn't have helped his situation...but the athletic program has some other issues going on off the field...It hasn't been a story in KC yet, but has been in both Topeka and Wichita...hazing and department cover up in the cheerleading program. I know sounds like a joke, but may end up in a big $$$ lawsuit and possible criminal action. There are some Title IX issues being brought up currently, and of course the whole lack of football success. The big surprise was how sudden the move was.
Fall guy. Bill is fist pumping. Don't think he is a fan of Zenger anymore. Lets rehire Perkins and Magino.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:59 AM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Would be odd timing if it were related to the football program. Should of made that move many months ago.
I'd guess you get your AD up and running so he can make a call with a full staff and operational control come football season.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:03 PM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Sorce:
Zenger has been fired.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/col...211582259.html

KU fires athletic director Sheahon Zenger: 'Progress in key areas has been elusive'

By Jesse Newell

jnewell@kcstar.com

May 21, 2018 10:31 AM

Updated 5 minutes ago

University of Kansas athletic director Sheahon Zenger has been fired after seven years with the department, KU chancellor Douglas Girod announced Monday morning.

In an email sent to KU faculty and staff, Girod credited Zenger for his loyalty before saying, "Athletics continues to face a number of challenges, and progress in key areas has been elusive. To achieve the level of success we need and expect, I have determined a change in leadership is necessary."

KU assistant athletic director Sean Lester will be interim AD, while Drue Jennings — who was interim AD in 2003 when KU hired basketball coach Bill Self — will lead the search committee.

Girod also said he spoke with KU football coach David Beaty earlier Monday and "shared my expectation that he will continue recruiting hard and getting his team ready for the season."

Zenger's biggest failure with KU was football. As a former football assistant coach, he was hired in 2011 to help revive the program, though his hiring of Charlie Weis set the team back scholarships-wise before Zenger chose David Beaty as his replacement. Through three seasons, Beaty has compiled a 3-33 record with just one FBS victory.

Among Zenger's greatest accomplishments, though, was improving the facilities outside football. That included construction of Rock Chalk Park, which houses track and field, softball, soccer and tennis. KU Athletics also constructed McCarthy Hall — a dorm used primarily for the men's basketball players — and the DeBruce Center, a building adjacent to Allen Fieldhouse that houses James Naismith's original rules of basketball.

Per a contract extension signed in summer 2017, Zenger would be owed two years' salary — or $1.4 million — for termination without cause.
Though this could mean we're hit with a vacated final four and B12 title - allow me to say Thank GOD.
[Reply]
sedated 12:07 PM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
From my limited understanding, it seems to be a combination of backlash from fans about the football situation combined with athletic department ineptitude all around. Fans/boosters have been sending pleas to the Chancellor for months asking for Zenger to be fired, and when that didn't happen fans turned against the Chancellor as well. The cheerleader hazing story coming to light through K-State didn't help I'm sure.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:07 PM 05-21-2018
Oh I agree. But, maybe the next guy wants to get involved in the basketball program? I'm sure Self would be like, thanks but I'll let you know if I need something. As long as that's the SOP between the AD and Self, I'm sure he doesn't care who the AD is currently.

They need to do something with the football program but I could care less about that if anything associated with that effort upsets Self.
It went beyond the major sports, KU's Volleyball program and Girl's B-Ball program had been rebuilt from the ground up, and to my knowledge, Zenger either directly led to those coaches leaving or let them jump ship. Both programs are now in complete disarray.

Dude was just in over his head from the beginning.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:07 PM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Though this could mean we're hit with a vacated final four and B12 title - allow me to say Thank GOD.
What am I missing.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:09 PM 05-21-2018
What am I missing.
I think we're all a bit nervous from the FBI news and hoping but the best but preparing for the worst on that front.

Zenger needed to be canned after last football season ended, so while I'm pumped for the news the timing does feel a bit odd.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:24 PM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
I think we're all a bit nervous from the FBI news and hoping but the best but preparing for the worst on that front.

Zenger needed to be canned after last football season ended, so while I'm pumped for the news the timing does feel a bit odd.
Gotcha. I wasn’t following.
[Reply]
Coach 06:11 PM 05-21-2018
Zenger getting canned was probably linked to the FBI situation and the cheerleading/Title IX situation, but I believe it has to do more of the awful product of a football team they keep throwing out there, especially when they keep losing so much money.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ion-from-2009/

Originally Posted by :
In new figures obtained by the Lawrence Journal-World, we now know just how much: ticket sales dipped to a new low of $3.4 million this past season. That’s a drop of some 65% from their peak of $9.5 million in 2009 and a nearly $6 million shortfall as a result.

[Reply]
Page 9 of 181
« First < 56789 101112131959109 > Last »
Up