< 12345 678915 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Sammy Watkins
FAX 09:26 PM 02-12-2020
Is a baller.

That's it. That's the thread.

FAX
[Reply]
FAX 09:59 PM 02-13-2020
I should like to point out that memorizing the calls in Wally's complex playbook isn't the biggest obstacle to assimilating into the offense as a wide receiver. It may not even be the second biggest. It isn't like you run the lines on the paper. There's a lot more to it.

Each route has options based on coverage, leverage, defensive personnel, offensive personnel groupings, motions, and shifts. Add in the fact that each route may have significant variations in release quickness, separation, depth, and scramble duties as well as in-line and downfield blocking assignments. Multiply each position and route by the hundreds of plays in Wally's playbook and you have a damn PhD in Advanced Wide Receiver by the time you're done.

Dissing Sammy because it took time to learn every damn position in the scheme (which he did) is absurd on its face. Typical Lame Monday Morning Fat Ass Coaching, to be honest.

FAX
[Reply]
BossChief 11:08 PM 02-13-2020
Here are my concerns Mr. FAX,

To be paid what Sammy is getting paid, he needed to show the ability to be a true #1 WR. He hasn’t done that. Putting that much $ into a second WR is done so if Hill gets hurt, we have another true #1 WR to keep the passing game lethal. After the Jacksonville game, he didn’t really do anything till the playoffs. When Hill went out, Sammy wasn’t exactly taking over games.

For his whole career, he hasn’t ever really put it all together and is complaining about the season being so long and not wanting to go to OTAs. Possibly taking a year off. Motivation is a genuine concern.

He has injury concerns. He’s missed 7 games the last 2 years.

TBH I see him as a below average #1 WR or an above average #2 WR and he should be paid as such. Somewhere in the 20th-25th highest WR. 10-11m per season is fair market value. If he’d do that, I’d applaud the signing.
[Reply]
PurpleRiders51 12:31 AM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by FAX:
I should like to point out that memorizing the calls in Wally's complex playbook isn't the biggest obstacle to assimilating into the offense as a wide receiver. It may not even be the second biggest. It isn't like you run the lines on the paper. There's a lot more to it.

Each route has options based on coverage, leverage, defensive personnel, offensive personnel groupings, motions, and shifts. Add in the fact that each route may have significant variations in release quickness, separation, depth, and scramble duties as well as in-line and downfield blocking assignments. Multiply each position and route by the hundreds of plays in Wally's playbook and you have a damn PhD in Advanced Wide Receiver by the time you're done.

Dissing Sammy because it took time to learn every damn position in the scheme (which he did) is absurd on its face. Typical Lame Monday Morning Fat Ass Coaching, to be honest.

FAX
Meh.
[Reply]
BossChief 12:51 AM 02-14-2020
The thing that also bothers me is he seems to have a “switch” that he decides when he’s going to turn it on.

Look at him against Jacksonville and the 3 playoff games.
Those 4 games:

486 yards 4 TDs

The other 13 games:

477 yards 0 TDs 2 fumbles

The guy definitely helped us win it all in the postseason...but we can’t pay guys like that elite money based on emotion and small sample size.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 06:20 AM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by FAX:

FAX
People should watch the all-22 from last year, when Sammy was out. He commands attention even when he isn't getting the ball. When he wasn't on the field, teams didn't play Robinson the same way because they weren't afraid of him changing the game with one play.

And all that time that he "disappeared" from the stat lines this year, well, he is a WR and can't actually throw the ball to himself. He didn't play bad football during that time, and usually made at least one impactful play per game, like coming back to catch a ball from a scrambling Mahomes, or a making a key down field block to help on a big run, etc.

Our offense is just better when he is on the field.

We all know he needs to restructure, but he said that coming to Kansas City was one of the best decisions he has ever made. We should make every effort to keep him on the team l, but with a contract that makes sense for both parties.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
BlackOp 06:43 AM 02-14-2020
Veach brought in Watkins to do exactly what he did...was a luxury FA to help usher in Mahomes to the NFL. It worked with a SB win and PM netting 50 TDs and a MVP.

Sammy has made over $50 million and is only 26....this is a horrible year to be a FA WR....some are projecting 5 taken in the 1st round. I wouldn't blame him for sitting out a year...

He also seems like a highly sensitive guy...and has talked about battling depression. Sometimes being in a healthy environment is worth more than maximizing your contract. I dont think he's going to find a better situation than Reid as his coach...and not have the pressure of being "the guy".

He should stay...and make 10-12 mil. Still retire earning around $100 million and playing with Mahomes. That's a pretty nice career...IMO.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 07:22 AM 02-14-2020
I see people talking about pushing fishers money here and in the cj thread. but wasnt he reworked last offseason?
[Reply]
SAUTO 07:32 AM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Of course I am.

I’m pushing it into years when the cap will explode and there will be a lot more money.

By then deals like Chris Jones for 18-20 will be a fantasy.

Right now the cap is 200m.

In 4-5 years it’s going to be 280-300m.
yep, its going to explode. and so are all the salaries.

no reason to push any money that isnt mahomes
[Reply]
BlackOp 07:53 AM 02-14-2020
If they decide to exempt the QB salary from the cap (which they should)...none of this matters.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:12 AM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
If they decide to exempt the QB salary from the cap (which they should)...none of this matters.
Would this have its own separate cap? If it's wide open the big market teams can buy whom ever they want...
[Reply]
TEX 08:30 AM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
Veach brought in Watkins to do exactly what he did...was a luxury FA to help usher in Mahomes to the NFL. It worked with a SB win and PM netting 50 TDs and a MVP.

Sammy has made over $50 million and is only 26....this is a horrible year to be a FA WR....some are projecting 5 taken in the 1st round. I wouldn't blame him for sitting out a year...

He also seems like a highly sensitive guy...and has talked about battling depression. Sometimes being in a healthy environment is worth more than maximizing your contract. I dont think he's going to find a better situation than Reid as his coach...and not have the pressure of being "the guy".

He should stay...and make 10-12 mil. Still retire earning around $100 million and playing with Mahomes. That's a pretty nice career...IMO.
Very.
[Reply]
Hoover 08:34 AM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Would this have its own separate cap? If it's wide open the big market teams can buy whom ever they want...
I don't think it becomes a separate cap, but more of a yearly sum of money that teams can use. So it's not like a separate cap for QBs, but say $25M of money that does not impact the cap. I think its going to start as average QB pay per year and then be indexed yearly. That way it helps everyone, not just those with high dollar legit QBs.
[Reply]
BlackOp 08:37 AM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
I'm sure it would have some built in protection...percentage limitations....like 3% max increase than the highest paid QB. This would prevent wealthy owners like Jerry paying $60 million to lure Rodgers away...or throwing $40 million at Dak.

I think QBs would want it...the better they perform, the more they make. It would interesting if they made it performance/incentive based to be eligible....so the 20th ranked QB couldn't make more than a top 5 QB.

As Hoover alluded to...part of their salary should count to keep things in check. Like a $25-30 million ceiling...teams shouldn't have a superstar QB for free but shouldn't have their salary wreck the teams ability to remain competitive..

Look at the AFC play-offs...Texans, Bills, Chiefs, Ravens and Titans all had cheap/rookie contract QBs.
[Reply]
BossChief 09:26 AM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
yep, its going to explode. and so are all the salaries.

no reason to push any money that isnt mahomes
Any long term deal we get done before the cap explodes will end up a huge bargain when the “money hits” while keeping the current team stacked with talent.

Brett Veach knows this.

He’s going to knock this offseason out the park. There’s a reason they all know they’re winning next years SB.

Watch.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 11:58 AM 02-14-2020
let SW walk
[Reply]
Page 5 of 30
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up