ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 38
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Per Verderame: Veach would prefer to keep Chris Jones
RunKC 09:27 AM 02-10-2020
Interesting article here. Not a huge fan of Verderame but he was at the Super Bowl and he does go to the combine. I think he gets some tips, albeit from Terez (who is a nice guy).

Here is the most interesting part of the article. 2021 and 2022 would be extremely difficult to manage.

Originally Posted by :

What the Chiefs can do with their money

Looking at Kansas City’s cap situation, it can release wide receiver Sammy Watkins and linebacker Damien Wilson, clearing out $18.5 million in space. Combined with rollover money and already existing room, that’s enough cash for Veach to tag Jones, re-sign a few other pending free agents and extend Patrick Mahomes.

Speaking of Mahomes, the 24-year-old quarterback is likely to soon be the highest-paid player in the league. This is another important factor to consider.

Let’s play GM for a moment and do the following to the Chiefs’ roster:

•Cut Sammy Watkins
•Cut Damien Wilson
•Cut Cam Erving

Extend Patrick Mahomes on a five-year, $200 million deal
Use franchise tag on Chris Jones
Allow $10 million for free agents and draft picks
Keep $2 million in emergency space
Using the Jared Goff and Carson Wentz extension structures as a template, Mahomes’ cap hit would approximately be $11 million this season. Factor in Jones’ tag and the $12 million outlined above, and Kansas City is laying out $35 million.

The Chiefs could do it. But while it’s palatable for 2020, what about 2021 and beyond?

If Kansas City gave Mahomes the aforementioned extension, his cap number would be enormous in 2021, potentially the full $40 million figure. If the Chiefs also signed Jones to Clark’s exact deal, the cap number would be $22.7 million in 2021.

If we account for a slight rise in the NFL salary cap both this year and next, it’ll be around $210 million. Under these parameters, Kansas City would be looking at the following cap hits in 2021:

Patrick Mahomes ($40M)
Frank Clark ($24.2M)
Chris Jones ($22.7)
Tyrann Mathieu ($19.7M)
Tyreek Hill ($15.7M)
In total, the top five players on the Chiefs would be earning $122.3 million, or 58 percent of the salary cap.

Going into this offseason with a projected $200 million salary cap, only one team is currently allocating more than 50 percent to their top five players: the Los Angeles Rams at 54 percent.

Kansas City can always create cap space with extensions and releases, but tying up such a large chunk of money in five players is dangerous. The Chiefs would be largely unable to sign any other meaningful free agents for a few years — including their own — while being completely reliant on the draft to restock departing talent.

In his three years at the helm, Veach has proven to believe in acquiring top-shelf talent and filling in around them with low-cost, high-upside veteran deals (see: Damien Williams, Stefen Wisniewski, Mike Pennel) and rookie deals.

Jones certainly fits Veach’s profile. The question is if he fits into Kansas City’s payroll.
https://fansided.com/2020/02/10/chri...mpression=true
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:33 AM 02-11-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
I don't think some of you realize just how important Chris. Jones is to this D. He is probably the most important player on that side of the ball. The pressure that he generates from the DT position allows him to collapse the pocket and doesn't allow the QB to step up. Since the QB can't step up into the pocket our outside pass rushers can get to him easier. This also forces the QB to make bad throws or throw incompletions, so the guys in coverage don't have to play perfectly or have to cover a guy for a long amount of time.

Chris Jones is double teamed and beats that double team more than most every other player in the league. That frees up other guys as the offense has to specifically game plan for CJ. He has looked just as dominant as Aaron Donald and deserves to be paid arpund that amount. This D will take a huge hit without #95.

I am optimistic that Jones and KC are able to work out a long term deal. He has continued to get better every year and he's still extremely young, so he will continue to get better. That's one of the main reasons why I think Veach will pay the man. Veach isnt a dummy when it comes to giving out long term deals. He doesn't give put contracts in which KC will be paying a guy much past 30 years old. We could sign Jones to a 5 year deal and that contract would be up when he is 30. KC would be retarded to miss out on the Jones' prime years.
While all of that is true. We cant pay everyone. Mahomes/Hill will need to be paid. Already have Clark/Honey badger paid. We pay Jones long term, forgetting adding a top shelf player for 3 years at least.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:50 AM 02-11-2020
What about a 4 year $74 million dollar deal? $45 million guarantees that comes out to $18.5 million a season. That makes him the second highest paid DT, it allows him to stay with the team that he’s said publicly that he wants to play for and it allows him to hit FA again at 29.

Cut or trade Watkins.
Cut LDT and Erving.
Colquitt can retire.
[Reply]
Halfcan 09:55 AM 02-11-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
What about a 4 year $74 million dollar deal? $45 million guarantees that comes out to $18.5 million a season. That makes him the second highest paid DT, it allows him to stay with the team that he’s said publicly that he wants to play for and it allows him to hit FA again at 29.

Cut or trade Watkins.
Cut LDT and Erving.
Colquitt can retire.
This defense is much better with Jones in the lineup. Without him-we drop back down to the bottom and likely miss out on another SB.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:06 AM 02-11-2020
Wylie took over for LDT in 2018 for 10 games and I honestly did not see a major disparity there. I’d keep Wylie another year at a RFA cheap salary and work to fill that spot while trading LDT. Erving we can all agree is gone.

I’d like to see Damien Wilson extended a couple of years. He’s got a club option and a big cap hit (for him). Spread that out a bit while making him cheap this year. He’s our best LB and a key part of the run defense.

I’m thinking Veach is gonna up Kelce this offseason too. Great way to free up more cap space in the short term. Kelce only has 2 more years left on his deal and is underpaid for his impact. Kittle Is about to cash in. Veach will likely follow suit.
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 11:17 AM 02-11-2020
I was assuming we would try to keep LDT and Fisher by restructuring their contracts. Why does it seem like a foregone conclusion the chiefs are getting rid of them?
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 11:20 AM 02-11-2020
Originally Posted by Brooklyn:
How come no one is suggesting we extend Hill? We gave him a very hedge-y three year deal and he’s underpaid. The injuries kept his stats down, but he’s still below market. Let’s secure him for another 2 years, effectively 5 total and give him a little more deserved cash that lessens the load on the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because Hill already has a great contract for Hill and the Chiefs. He’s being paid appropriately and is under contract through 2022. Have a look for yourself:

https://overthecap.com/player/tyreek-hill/4878/
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 11:26 AM 02-11-2020
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky:
I was assuming we would try to keep LDT and Fisher by restructuring their contracts. Why does it seem like a foregone conclusion the chiefs are getting rid of them?
LDT was garbage this year and has a huge cap number.

Fisher can and should stay.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:36 AM 02-11-2020
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky:
LDT is not worth that contract.
[Reply]
Hoover 11:39 AM 02-11-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:

Cut or trade Watkins.
Cut LDT and Erving.
Colquitt can retire.
I could get there...

But I still think the draft capital we get in return is exactly what this team needs more than anything, in fact I think our lack of low round picks this year really limits Veach's ability to move around in the draft. All that changes if we trade Jones.

These are the cuts I'd make:

Sammy +14M
Okafor +2.9M
Sorenson +3.75
Erving +4.68M
Colquitt +2M

So before the cap increase we can be up to nearly 44M in cap space.

After extending Mahomes, I'd really prefer to spend a little money on the offensive live if you could install a guy like Brandon Scherff at one of the guard spots I think you do it. He's young and can rebuild around him. Fisher and Schwartz are both here for the next couple years, but we need to start looking at the long term shape of the line. For now I think I roll the dice on LDT, but if I could trade him for something I'd do it, even if its just draft picks or something.

Besides some low end free agents, we we have to plug some holes in the secondary. I think keeping Fuller is more important than Sorenson. I'd love to keep Breeland but not sure that is going to be possible. I guess we will see if he wants to stay here, if not I think we sign a vet like Harris.

In the end I still just don't see how you can pay Jones and do the rest of this. And regardless of what we do, I think we have to get cheap at entrain positions, like full back, punter, WR outside of Hill, and RB.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:39 AM 02-11-2020
Originally Posted by wachashi:
Detroit seems like a viable trading partner. They're close to contending, have cap space, draft capital, and are severely lacking a pass rush. Here are some trade scenarios that fall in-line with what we gave up to get Frank Clark.

DEAL 1

SECOND ROUND SWAP

FUTURE SECOND

ROUND 3

ROUND 5

DEAL 2

ROUND 2

FUTURE SECOND

ROUND 5

DEAL 3

ROUND 2

THIRD ROUND SWAP

FUTURE THIRD

ROUND 5

DEAL 4

SECOND ROUND SWAP

ROUND 3

ROUND 4

FUTURE THIRD

FUTURE FOURTH

DEAL 5

FUTURE FIRST

SECOND ROUND SWAP

THIRD ROUND SWAP

DEAL 6

FUTURE FIRST

SECOND ROUND SWAP

ROUND 4

Something like this also falls into that general value area:

Detroit 2 (35 - +550 pts)
Swap 3rds (67 - +255; 96 -116)
Detroit 4 (106 - + 82)
Detroit 6

I could see something like that. Gives KC #s 32, 35, 67, 106, 135, 177, 182

I don’t love the 1st round/2nd round swap picks. Doesn’t give enough picks to replace Jones.
[Reply]
Skyy God 11:46 AM 02-11-2020
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Jones has been a great Chief- that would be doing him dirty to ship him off to the ****ing wastelands of Detroit.
He'd have generational wealth to soften his landing.
[Reply]
Skyy God 11:48 AM 02-11-2020
Heard from a source at the AFCCG tailgate (not going to disclose) that Jones wants $54M guaranteed and that Pat was willing to take a discount to keep him.

We'll see what actually transpires.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:54 AM 02-11-2020
Originally Posted by Hoover:
I could get there...

But I still think the draft capital we get in return is exactly what this team needs more than anything, in fact I think our lack of low round picks this year really limits Veach's ability to move around in the draft. All that changes if we trade Jones.

These are the cuts I'd make:

Sammy +14M
Okafor +2.9M
Sorenson +3.75
Erving +4.68M
Colquitt +2M

So before the cap increase we can be up to nearly 44M in cap space.

After extending Mahomes, I'd really prefer to spend a little money on the offensive live if you could install a guy like Brandon Scherff at one of the guard spots I think you do it. He's young and can rebuild around him. Fisher and Schwartz are both here for the next couple years, but we need to start looking at the long term shape of the line. For now I think I roll the dice on LDT, but if I could trade him for something I'd do it, even if its just draft picks or something.

Besides some low end free agents, we we have to plug some holes in the secondary. I think keeping Fuller is more important than Sorenson. I'd love to keep Breeland but not sure that is going to be possible. I guess we will see if he wants to stay here, if not I think we sign a vet like Harris.

In the end I still just don't see how you can pay Jones and do the rest of this. And regardless of what we do, I think we have to get cheap at entrain positions, like full back, punter, WR outside of Hill, and RB.
This team needs younger, cost controlled assets along the offensive line. We don’t need to get more expensive there. Scherff is going to get paid and it can’t be by us. Bring back Wiz on another one year deal and put him at LG. Rankin can battle it out with Wylie (who was decent at RG when he played there). Draft a new center in the 2nd-3rd round range to take over for Reiter.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:56 AM 02-11-2020
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
Heard from a source at the AFCCG tailgate (not going to say who) that Jones wants $54M guaranteed and that Pat was willing to take a discount to keep him.

We'll see what actually transpires.
I’m all for guys maxing out their potential earnings because I’d do the same thing if I was them.

But if I’m Jones and I have the option of staying in KC for around $3 million less a season or going to somewhere like Detroit for that extra $3 million a season? I’m picking KC.
[Reply]
Sofa King 12:02 PM 02-11-2020
I heard from a source at my local bar (not going to say who, just know he's well connected) that Jones wants $125 billion gazillion and that Sorenson was willing to take a discount to keep him.

I heard they're waiting on the ink to dry before they announce it.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 38
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Up