ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 162 of 324
« First < 62112152158159160161162 163164165166172212262 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
Halfcan 01:30 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
35 TDs would have been 2nd in the league this year after Andrew Luck with 36. If you think Mahomes is going to throw 45-50 TDs every year, I got news for you.
This is what all the naysayers said last year when I predicted Mahomes would put up numbers similar to Marino's second year. Mahomes surpassed it.

You can predict a 30% drop off in production all you want but I will never doubt Mahomes or underestimate him again.

Your prediction looks even worse when you factor in (hypothetically) that the new defense is going to get off the field more, giving the Offense more chances to score. So it turns into a 40% less production year for Mahomes.

Not going to happen.
[Reply]
Frosty 01:33 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
You might want to research Andy Reid.

The few games we did play decent defense Andy was doing exactly that with Mahkmws as his QB.
Did you have a stroke there? Blink twice if you need help.
[Reply]
Halfcan 01:34 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
You might want to research Andy Reid.

The few games we did play decent defense Andy was doing exactly that with Mahkmws as his QB.
Exactly, and what happened. Teams immediately shut down the run and Mahomes was throwing again to squeak out a win.
[Reply]
New World Order 01:34 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Frosty:
Did you have a stroke there? Blink twice if you need help.
:-)

You okay, Run?
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:35 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
This is what all the naysayers said last year when I predicted Mahomes would put up numbers similar to Marino's second year. Mahomes surpassed it.

You can predict a 30% drop off in production all you want but I will never doubt Mahomes or underestimate him again.

Your prediction looks even worse when you factor in (hypothetically) that the new defense is going to get off the field more, giving the Offense more chances to score. So it turns into a 40% less production year for Mahomes.

Not going to happen.
I get not doubting Mahomes or underestimating him. You also can't overestimate things either. If the defense does their job, the pace of the game is going to slow. So while the offense might theoretically get more chances, they're also not getting into shootouts that necessitate throwing the ball downfield as much.

When I said 35 TDs, I was being extremely conservative. He might throw 40 or even a few more. Even if he "only" threw 35, again that would likely lead the league many years.

If the defense improves, he's not going to throw 50 again. That's the point.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:39 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate:
When we began this dialogue at the end of the season, it was agreed by all that tagging and trading Ford, restructuring Houston, and putting the June 1st banhammer on Berry was the way to fly.

It appears we have done one of those things. What has changed that we could not finish the scenario?

Well, it's a pretty high risk, ballsy plan. You basically gut the only strength there was on defense. You just have to make sure you're replacing it; and I think you can, but there are a lot of moving parts and you have to get it right.

Although I would argue that planning on Dee Ford, Justin Houston, and Eric Berry to all be healthy and play up to their contracts is pretty foolish. AND Houston doesn't really have a position in base that is a fit for his salary due to the responsibilities of a SAM. Berry's probably played his last meaningful football. And Ford is an injury risk and a liability against the run.
[Reply]
Frosty 01:40 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
A record that Mahomes destroyed.
So it happened once, which means it is going to happen every time now? You sound like my kids. :-)
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:40 PM 02-19-2019
I get not doubting Mahomes or underestimating him. You also can't overestimate things either. If the defense does their job, the pace of the game is going to slow. So while the offense might theoretically get more chances, they're also not getting into shootouts that necessitate throwing the ball downfield as much.

When I said 35 TDs, I was being extremely conservative. He might throw 40 or even a few more. Even if he "only" threw 35, again that would likely lead the league many years.

exactly. he won't throw 50 because he won't have to. And your team rushing statistics will go up by a lot; probably quite a few more rushing TD's too.
[Reply]
FringeNC 01:42 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
exactly. he won't throw 50 because he won't have to. And your team rushing statistics will go up by a lot; probably quite a few more rushing TD's too.
Unless we start blowing people out like Denver and NE did when their QBs had their best years.
[Reply]
Aspengc8 01:43 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Well, it's a pretty high risk, ballsy plan. You basically gut the only strength there was on defense. You just have to make sure you're replacing it; and I think you can, but there are a lot of moving parts and you have to get it right.

Although I would argue that planning on Dee Ford, Justin Houston, and Eric Berry to all be healthy and play up to their contracts is pretty foolish. AND Houston doesn't really have a position in base that is a fit for his salary due to the responsibilities of a SAM. Berry's probably played his last meaningful football. And Ford is an injury risk and a liability against the run.
Houston would work out better as a rush end than Ford would in a reduced front scheme. I dont see Houston playing sam realistcally. If Ford ever had to reduce down because of a shift or something, he doesnt have the weight or strength to hold gap integrity.
[Reply]
O.city 01:44 PM 02-19-2019
When other QB's have gone for 45 plus, they've blown people out.

The Chiefs could do that next year if the defense improves, but i'd think if he's somewhere around 35 40 that's an awesome eyar.

People don't quite realize how unreal this season of 5k and 50 tds were.
[Reply]
Buckweath 01:50 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
When other QB's have gone for 45 plus, they've blown people out.

The Chiefs could do that next year if the defense improves, but i'd think if he's somewhere around 35 40 that's an awesome eyar.

People don't quite realize how unreal this season of 5k and 50 tds were.
I expect Mahomes to be a perennial 35+TDs per season player but next season should be another 40+ TDs as all the main offensive players will still be in their prime.

After that, the likes of Schwartz, Fisher, Kelce (Watkins gone in two years) could be declining and that's when Mahomes might slow down some seasons.
[Reply]
Halfcan 01:51 PM 02-19-2019

I think your premise is flawed. Mahomes threw 6 TD's in a game twice- Steelers and Rams- only the Rams was a "shootout".

Mahomes threw 4 Td's in 5 games with only New England being a shootout.

So his production was not directly related to being in a shootout situation.

We also have a very tough schedule again- so even if the defense does improve, it will have to become dominant for us to be able to coast to wins all year.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:57 PM 02-19-2019
back to defense-and I'm not sure what the plan is...but-
If you cut Houston...well, I think you have to. Right? I mean it doesn't make sense not to.

And you tag Ford to play him. You're keeping one of your premier pass rushers. You're transferring most of Houston's salary to Ford, essentially, with like $4 million left over.

You need a SAM, you need a veteran safety. You really should have an older veteran type DE for depth and rotational purposes. You need at least one CB.

You need to draft CB's, a S, and an Edge/DE. A corner may need to be a day one starter.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:59 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Aspengc8:
Houston would work out better as a rush end than Ford would in a reduced front scheme. I dont see Houston playing sam realistcally. If Ford ever had to reduce down because of a shift or something, he doesnt have the weight or strength to hold gap integrity.
I think so too, but if Houston's really not going to restructure, then you just can't pay him $21 million. You just can't.

I like him better than Ford as I think he's a much more complete player, but I don't see how it happens.
[Reply]
Page 162 of 324
« First < 62112152158159160161162 163164165166172212262 > Last »
Up