ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 41 of 46
« First < 313738394041 42434445 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Any fishkeepers here? Saltwater or freshwater
Silock 04:02 AM 11-16-2011
I'm looking at starting up a saltwater tank. Is there a good fish store in the KC area without driving out to Lawrence?
[Reply]
Rasputin 08:10 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by Pointer19:
Huh. I want some fish now. I think moving every couple years would be an issue.
That has been an issue with me but I never really plan to move but now I got a cool place and plan to be here for a long time I hope so getting a bigger tank was what i wanted and now I did. So happy with them and I love the sound of the water flow and it is soothing and relaxing to me.

Fish don't bark nor pee on the floor or scratch the living hell out of you for no reason atall.
[Reply]
Rasputin 08:12 PM 02-13-2020
Just start small and see how it goes. I think bigger the tank is easier don't have to clean it as often and plenty of room for them to swim.
[Reply]
Pointer19 08:15 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by Rasputin:
Just start small and see how it goes. I think bigger the tank is easier don't have to clean it as often and plenty of room for them to swim.
Isn't there some kind of PB scum-sucker fish that will take care of that for me? :-)
[Reply]
Rasputin 08:24 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by Pointer19:
Isn't there some kind of PB scum-sucker fish that will take care of that for me? :-)
They help for sure but they can be overwhelmed with poop in the tank.
[Reply]
eDave 08:35 PM 02-13-2020
Do your research before diving in. Keeping things clean is easy when you know how to balance the ecosystem. It's a cool hobby and can be artistic in nature:

https://www.google.com/search?q=aqua...=2133&bih=1052

[Reply]
F150 08:57 PM 02-13-2020
I had a fish tank as a kid. Id love one again but the wife has huge issues should it leak and im not going to push it. But damn I miss my fish tank.

Old, nuts and 150
[Reply]
cabletech94 09:17 PM 02-13-2020
be careful on those algae discs. if you feed Big Pleco too many, he may end up preferring them instead of the real thing. found out the hard way. love seeing your guys' setups. ive only got a 20 gallon left now. fancy guppies multiply like rabbits.......
[Reply]
Rasputin 07:07 AM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by cabletech94:
be careful on those algae discs. if you feed Big Pleco too many, he may end up preferring them instead of the real thing. found out the hard way. love seeing your guys' setups. ive only got a 20 gallon left now. fancy guppies multiply like rabbits.......
My dinosaur fish enjoys having guppies for dinner.. so they don't last long in my tank.

His favorite is ghost shrimp and its fun to watch him sneak up behind and snag one.
[Reply]
God of Thunder 08:46 AM 02-14-2020
I have a red sea Regal Angelfish arriving today as well as 3 Bimaculatus Anthias. We have a 180g reef.

[Reply]
Fish 12:43 AM 04-10-2021
So, about a year ago I fed my aquarium fish some fresh feeders that were infected with something, and it killed every fish in my tank within a week. Some of those fish I'd had over a decade. I've posted several of my videos here previously. Many of the fish I had were bred and born in the tank. I had to just watch all of them slowly die over the course of a week. It sucked hard....

I drained my tank recently. Cleaned all of my tank ornaments. Changed out quite a bit. Re-established the water, and let it run for over a month. Established a bacterial starter by tossing in a small cocktail shrimp, to let it basically rot and dissolve in the water. Which provides the water with the "Good" bacteria needed to maintain a nice freshwater tank. After 1.5 months of monitoring the water, I've finally introduced a new group of peacock cichlids to start my tank over.

I got 2 german red peacock cichlids, a sunshine peacock, an OB(orange blotch) peacock, and a Maingano cichlid. It's a Malawi tank. Every fish species is from Lake Malawi(Africa), and don't naturally exist anywhere else in nature. All about the same size, so hopefully none will establish total dominance. They'll need a month or so to get comfortable and start producing hormone and show more color. But I think I got a really good bunch to start. Pretty sure one of the german reds is a female, which kinda sucks since I paid for males, but maybe I'll be able to hatch some babies again... Peacock cichlids are mouth brooders, which means the female lays eggs on a rock, then the male comes by and dumps sperm all over the eggs to fertilize them, then the female gathers up all the eggs in her mouth. She holds the eggs in her mouth for about a month, not eating anything during that time. Once the eggs start to hatch, she spits them out and they're left to fend for themselves. You can see some of my previous posts in this thread to see hatchlings. They generally lay 40-60 eggs. Out of that, normally maybe a dozen survives unless you isolate the young.

Anyway, here's the new tank:

[Reply]
Fish 01:30 AM 04-10-2021
This was by far the best combination of freshwater fish I put together. What a peaceful tank that was. I hope I can find that tank equilibrium again some day...

[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 08:06 AM 04-10-2021
Congrats on getting your tank going again. I used to have Malawi tanks. My last one was a 180G. I had a bunch of beautiful F1 and F2 cichlids. I took me years to find everything I wanted. About six months after I had it just the way I wanted we took a few day trip. When we got home and opened the door I smelled a problem. The heater stuck on and cooked them all. That was probably seven years ago. I'm still pouting. One thing I'll be sure to do if I ever give it another go is to have two or three very small heaters rather than one big one.

In our new house I could put a tank in the wall between my office and living room. It would sit directly above the mechanical room so I think all filtration could probably be in the basement and I could change water by just turning valves. Haven't looked into how to do that yet though. I'd invest in the easiest possible maintenance. I'd love to get a custom acrylic tank but I've read that those can scratch super easy and our extended family includes lots of little kids who won't be careful.

Ugh, talking about it makes me miss my tank.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:31 AM 04-10-2021
bought a 30g from a friend. Fresh water

Had a theme at one point. Red and white Gravel. Maybe should have done green
Red danios, yellow danios (Team)
and two black and white mollies (refs)

added a few larger yellow fish. (crowd)
I want to get a fresh water shrimp to help clean the rocks.

Lots of fun to have them again.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 10:12 AM 04-10-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
This was by far the best combination of freshwater fish I put together. What a peaceful tank that was. I hope I can find that tank equilibrium again some day...

That Dempsey is a beast.

Did you get your new fish on liveaquaria or just locally?
[Reply]
Fish 11:18 AM 04-10-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
That Dempsey is a beast.

Did you get your new fish on liveaquaria or just locally?
Yeah, I had that Jack for 12 years. He was a fat bastard. Really chill though. Like I said, he was basically the peacekeeper of the tank. He had a big rock cave at one end of the tank. He was so much bigger in size, that none of the peacocks challenged him. And he was happy to just hang out in his cave. Resulted in almost no fighting in the tank. Really cool personality. Unfortunately though, he was also the reason I fed them feeder fish. He loved chasing down live feeder fish. That and mealworms. But I got some bad ones.

Got these new guys locally. Olathe Pet Shop carries some really nice peacocks from time to time. About the only place in town that carries them. Cool pet store...
[Reply]
Page 41 of 46
« First < 313738394041 42434445 > Last »
Up