« First < 65696102103104105106 107108109110116 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Dorsey gone?
bdj23 02:12 PM 06-22-2017
Per 610.

The ****?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:31 AM 06-25-2017
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Who cares what a local broadcaster believes about the Chiefs gig?
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 11:33 AM 06-25-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Who cares what a local broadcaster believes about the Chiefs gig?
Seemed like logistical, fair takes to me. Also, if you keep up with Jacobs at all, you should know that he is a bright dude when it comes to football.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 11:34 AM 06-25-2017
https://www.google.com/amp/profootba...m-opening/amp/

Louis Riddick is in play for the job.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:37 AM 06-25-2017
Seemed like logistical, fair takes to me. Also, if you keep up with Jacobs at all, you should know that he is a bright dude when it comes to football.
I've ignored the KC talk radio since 2002. KK is a moron and for whatever reason, Petro decided to follow suit.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 11:42 AM 06-25-2017
I've ignored the KC talk radio since 2002. KK is a moron and for whatever reason, Petro decided to follow suit.
Well I don't know about the radio personalities, but I just follow Jacobs through twitter and he's consistently getting stuff right it seems like. He also does film reviews during the season through Snapchat.

I still remember before the Panthers game last year, he was highlighting that the Chiefs could do some damage defensively if they take advantage of some heavy A-gap blitzes. That's just what they did on the Berry pick-six.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:49 AM 06-25-2017
That's just what they did on the Berry pick-six.
That wasn't a pick six, that was highway robbery.

Berry outmuscled Benjamin for the ball.

As far as I can remember, I've never seen anything like that before.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 11:52 AM 06-25-2017
That wasn't a pick six, that was highway robbery.

Berry outmuscled Benjamin for the ball.

As far as I can remember, I've never seen anything like that before.
Wasn't it Peters that strip the ball from his hands?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:56 AM 06-25-2017
Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy:
Wasn't it Peters that strip the ball from his hands?
Yeah, Peters. My bad.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:54 PM 06-25-2017
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
Why are people saying it's a bad time to fire a GM. The draft is over. There's plenty of time to replace him. I hope Clark takes months to find a top guy.
Probably not the ideal situation.

Veach, Bargonzi, and Terry are here and I'm sure they can turn the roster based on TC cuts, but it would be more ideal to have a guy with final say in place a while before that point comes.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 02:19 PM 06-25-2017

John Dorsey left the #Chiefs in financial disarray. Was that why he was booted from KC? #ChiefsKingdom https://t.co/794CwcByLH

— Joshua Brisco (@jbbrisco) June 25, 2017

Some pretty surprising info in this pod, specifically from Benjamin Allbright (skip to around 31:00 for that interview). One thing that stood out was Allbright claimed that some people within the front office have been upset about the amount of credit Dorsey receives for good players we have acquired. Said that he had much less to do with personnel acquisition than people realized.
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:22 PM 06-25-2017

Some pretty surprising info in this pod, specifically from Benjamin Allbright (skip to around 31:00 for that interview. One thing that stood out was Allbright claimed that some people within the front office have been upset about the amount of credit Dorsey receives for good players we have acquired. Said that he had much less to do with personnel acquisition than people realized.
We're about to find out.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 02:31 PM 06-25-2017
Allbright also shuts down any notion that Reid/Hunt did not want Mahomes. Says that Reid wanted Mahomes badly, Dorsey made it happen.
[Reply]
RunKC 02:36 PM 06-25-2017
Looking back, Ballard did a lot of the early leg work on Mahomes before John did. I also remember Dorsey's press conference about Tanoh saying that one of our scouts told him he had to see "this Villanova kid" at the Senior Bowl so John didn't know much of anything about him until he met him in Mobile.

But that's just a dumb sentiment in general. The GM will always get the credit. Dorsey was highly respectful to his scouts though. Having them answer questions to the media gave them a ton of credit and respect.
[Reply]
JakeF 02:39 PM 06-25-2017
Vultures circling the wagon, look forward towards all the outstanding talent that is brought on board now that Dorsey's worthless ass is out of the way. :-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:46 PM 06-25-2017
Sources: Communication, management style were factors in Chiefs’ firing of Dorsey

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl...158155634.html

The Chiefs have compiled a 43-21 record the last four years thanks to the work of coach Andy Reid and general manager John Dorsey, all while publicly and privately painting a picture of internal harmony and teamwork. They managed to stay unified and on message even during tough times, like the NFL’s tampering investigation into the free-agent signing of Jeremy Maclin that led to fines and the forfeiture of draft picks.

But behind the scenes, the Chiefs’ front office did not always run smoothly under Dorsey. Team chairman Clark Hunt’s decision to fire Dorsey was fueled, in part, by concerns about his internal communication and management styles, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the situation who spoke to The Star on condition of anonymity. As one of the sources said while describing how Dorsey had removed two front-office executives without much explanation: “John does stuff and doesn’t tell people why.” Another source said Dorsey’s management style “could wear on people.”

A message left with Dorsey seeking comment for this story was not immediately returned. Dorsey’s firing was announced Thursday, the same day Reid received a contract extension. Both men had a year left on their contracts and report separately, but directly to Hunt. That structure will remain when a new GM is hired. While sources have consistently maintained that Reid and Dorsey worked well together — “You never got the impression they were sparring,” one source told The Star — the two also had different approaches to their jobs.

While Reid has a reputation for being structured and process-oriented, Dorsey was described by those who know both men as looser. “He goes with the flow,” one source said of Dorsey. That style didn’t always mesh in situations outside of Dorsey’s undeniable strengths, picking and evaluating players. The other areas Dorsey oversaw were contracts and salary cap management — and the Chiefs have been in cap trouble for a while — in addition to the general, day-to-day management of the team. “He’s not a big disciplinarian or big on chain of command,” a source said, “so people did what they wanted.” “It’s more about his management skills,” another source added.

For instance, the typically stable Chiefs also made waves this offseason when Dorsey released director of football administration Trip MacCracken and director of pro scouting Will Lewis. Each man had been with the team for at least four years, and not only were their dismissals surprising, there weren’t many answers to be found, even inside the organization. “Those decisions were totally John’s,” a source said. “That’s the kind of stuff he does.” Sources also critiqued Dorsey’s management style, noting that while he was often friendly and jovial, the same tongue-in-cheek manner he used to win over most people over eventually wore on others. “It could rub people the wrong way at times,” a source said.

Dorsey still has fans inside the Chiefs organization. They cited his passion for the game, constant availability and eye for talent as respected strengths. “Loved working for him,” one source said. “Great dude.” “He was always great to us …,” another source added, “You hate to see something like this happen.” Dorsey also has a number of supporters across the league, as an overwhelming amount of league sources who dealt with him on a regular basis — approaching a dozen — told The Star. “He was always a guy that would listen, was a pro, good to work with,” one league source said.

“One of my favorite people in 20 years in the business,” another source said. “Honest and straightforward. Man of conviction. Was shocked and sad to see the news.” Multiple sources also called Dorsey a friend on a personal level, noting that it was not unusual for him to call just to say “hello,” even when on vacation. “A consummate pro’s pro in negotiations,” one league source said. “Always up front and straight, and a super talent and football evaluator.”

Other league sources agreed with that notion, adding that Dorsey’s standing as an evaluator of talent remains peerless. “He is a dyed-in-the-wool scout, loves the element of watching college players, loves breaking down film,” said Andrew Brandt, who spent 10 years as a Green Bay Packers vice president alongside Dorsey and writes for TheMMQB.com. “That always seemed like that’s what he was most happy, and most comfortable, doing.”

It’s a trait that, communication and management issues aside, many league sources believe will be difficult for the Chiefs to replace, especially on the heels of the club losing Dorsey’s talented and respected right-hand man Chris Ballard to Indianapolis five months ago. Ballard is now the Colts’ GM. “I loved him,” one league source said of Dorsey. “Blunt, honest and a great talent evaluator. Losing him and Ballard in one offseason is insane.”

Brandt said he wouldn’t be surprised if the Chiefs prioritized talent evaluation, along with leadership and communication, with their next hire. The Chiefs are already over the projected 2018 salary cap, but there’s a widely-held belief around the league that whatever cap issues they have can be rectified in a year or two. “We have this traditional version of an NFL GM coming from a scouting background, like John — and that’s the most popular GM model,” Brandt said. “Then there are a few coming from more of my background, which is from the financial side, about business and cap contracts. The third model is one Andy had in Philly, which is coach/GM.

“To me, the real underappreciated trait you want from a GM is leadership and communication, because the GM will be coming from one of those backgrounds and will need to communicate seamlessly with what he’s not an expert at. Teams sometimes rush to sign an expert in one area while maybe not taking into account the necessity for communication in other areas.”
[Reply]
Page 106 of 137
« First < 65696102103104105106 107108109110116 > Last »
Up