ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Guys, it's not negotiable. You need to give Mahomes premium weapons in your mocks.
htismaqe 03:05 AM 02-27-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
SO MUCH THIS.

I just got done arguing the same in my mock thread. The Chiefs do need a couple of additional pieces. A WR to play the X, a #2 TE. Sure. But the goal has to be fixing the O-line, particularly tackle. Schwartz probably comes back in 2021, which will give time for Niang to come back in from his COVID vacation and get ready to be Schwartz' heir at RT. They need to replace Fisher. They need to figure out OC and the future at OG. I don't think they can do all of it in one year, but they better do the most important thing: address the long-term validity at both OT spots.
What are you going to do if the long-term answer at the OT spots are Fisher and Niang?
[Reply]
kcbubb 10:36 AM 02-27-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
What are you going to do if the long-term answer at the OT spots are Fisher and Niang?
This is valid and Reid will know how to estimate the risk of the oline at the draft. If we draft a tackle, then that probably means it was bpa or that he considers the health of those tackles a high risk. If we draft someone else, he’s probably thinking we are ok at tackle. Keep in mind that getting a wr that can get open quickly will help the oline. Mahomes often holds the ball too long. We need a shifty wr. I’m not sure who that is but I’m tired of seeing mahomes throw passes hot and hardman not even looking.
[Reply]
el borracho 10:40 AM 02-27-2021
Fisher just turned 30. He may miss significant time this year and he may or may not be the same player in the future. If I am reading things correctly, he counts 15 million against the cap this year.

In essence, he is an expensive, aging player that may or may not come back to form. You would be taking an expensive leap of faith to keep him and/ or extend him. I won't lose my mind if that happens, but I would prefer the Chiefs find a more permanent, less expensive solution.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:26 PM 02-27-2021
Originally Posted by el borracho:
Fisher just turned 30. He may miss significant time this year and he may or may not be the same player in the future. If I am reading things correctly, he counts 15 million against the cap this year.

In essence, he is an expensive, aging player that may or may not come back to form. You would be taking an expensive leap of faith to keep him and/ or extend him. I won't lose my mind if that happens, but I would prefer the Chiefs find a more permanent, less expensive solution.
Right now, we don't even know the extent of his injury. It's a bit premature to say he might miss significant time or may not be the same.

I honestly am going to trust whatever they do. If they take a tackle, great. If they don't, great.

They've earned the benefit of the doubt.
[Reply]
kccrow 05:33 PM 02-27-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Depends on how the board actually falls and we still have FA.

Theoretically, my first look would be to see what's there at ER and DB.

There's a list in my head of guys I think are good picks in 1.

WR: Will Bateman or Toney be there at 31? I doubt it. Would I take any of the other WRs in round 1? Probably not. We obviously assume Chase, Smith, and Waddle are off the board early.

LB: There are 3 LBs that are round 1 players in my mind, Parsons, Koramoah, and Collins. I don't see how any of the 3 are there. I'd take one of them if they were.

ER: I've been most vocal about an edge, much more so than OL. I like Rousseau, Paye, Ojulari, Perkins, and Tryon in round 1. Some like Oweh, Phillips, and Jones that high, I don't. I think if there was one to take a chance on at 31 of those 3, it's probably Oweh. I think those are guys to target in a trade down.

DT: The only one I'd personally want the Chiefs to go after in 1 would be Barmore if he fell. It's not that I don't like some others, but I wouldn't do it in 1.

DB: This is probably the position I'd look hardest at without an ER or OL there that makes sense. Greg Newsome II and Asante Samuel Jr. would be the 2 that would be most appealing to me at CB and Moehrig at SS. Moehrig is a guy I think maybe I've had slotted too low. He's easily the best safety in this draft and they tend to at least go in the 15-20 range, so he may not be around when we pick. No other safety makes sense that early. CB is the other position that's a bit light this year. Behind Farley, Horn, and Surtain, things are going to get interesting as all 3 of those guys probably go in the top 20 picks. If Newsome is there, I'd have some pause.

OL: Coming back around to OLine, I'd have to give serious consideration to two guards - Alijah Vera-Tucker and Wyatt Davis. Wyatt Davis is incredibly good at RG and a 1st-Team All-American for a reason. There really isn't a hole in his game. His grandfather is a Hall of Famer, if you want bloodlines. Vera-Tucker can obviously swing out to tackle in a pinch and better served on the left side. So pick your favorite.

I bet there's the question "if you are willing to trade so far up for a LT, are you willing to do it for another player?"

Sure. I think if we're talking about Paye or Rousseau falling to the teens its something to look at hard. I wouldn't do it for another position. LT or DE. That's it.

I'm not a huge fan of trading down, but would I do it? I think this is the year to do it if there's not a lot of value sitting there at 31. I think, if you trade down 10-15 spots, you're hitting a sweet spot for some of the other WRs like Marshall, St. Brown, Wallace, Moore, and so forth. I think you're also putting yourself in a great position for a Center like Myers, Humphrey, or Dickerson. I think a couple of the Edge guys I mentioned are there. So too could be a couple good DTs like Nixon, Owuzurike and Tufele
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 06:17 PM 02-26-2021
Weapons are great, but the priority has to be fixing the Oline this offseason. Given a choice, I would rather watch a couple of nobody receivers fall down and drop passes for an entire season than watch another single game where Mahomes gets his ass kicked like this years Super Bowl.

And for what it is worth, Seth Williams may be available much later in the draft. I'm not saying it completely reflects reality, but draftnetwork rates Williams as the 130th player in this years draft. He is commonly available to us with our 4th round pick. As is Sage Surratt and Josh Imatorbhebhe- all big receivers that could play the "x".

The Chiefs are talented enough to largely- not entirely- but largely discount need and draft BPA. If that is a WR in the 1st- fine. But there is no reason to freak out about weapons when we have Hill, Kelce, Hardman and CEH.

Draft Network and any place is fine to get a general feel for where prospects might go but they have even less info leaking to them than the normal dinosaurs at NFL.com and ESPN.

Last year they rated Michael Pittman way too low and Donovan Peoples-Jones too high. They seem to fall in love with mediocre or worse Michigan guys lately.

I'm not a mock drafter myself. Hard to know where people end up going.

I would say Seth Williams gives a Marques Colston or smaller Brandon Marshall play style. If we could grab him late 2 awesome. I suspect his value will be higher and we might have to move higher in the 2nd to secure him.

If would draft him we make our weapons scary and let's stop listing Hardman as someone keeping other teams up at night.
[Reply]
el borracho 06:48 PM 02-26-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
I would say Seth Williams gives a Marques Colston or smaller Brandon Marshall play style. If we could grab him late 2 awesome. I suspect his value will be higher and we might have to move higher in the 2nd to secure him.

If would draft him we make our weapons scary and let's stop listing Hardman as someone keeping other teams up at night.
It's fun as a fan to develop draft crushes, but you should hope like hell that isn't how the Chiefs operate. If Seth Williams isn't available, then you take one of the other "x" receivers in the draft. I listed a few above, but I am sure there are many.

A successful draft would mean you identified a number of players that can help your team and you take them as you can throughout the draft. It would be a very bad strategy to identify one player that you have to have at all costs.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 06:52 PM 02-26-2021
It's fun as a fan to develop draft crushes, but you should hope like hell that isn't how the Chiefs operate. If Seth Williams isn't available, then you take one of the other "x" receivers in the draft. I listed a few above, but I am sure there are many.

A successful draft would mean you identified a number of players that can help your team and you take them as you can throughout the draft. It would be a very bad strategy to identify one player that you have to have at all costs.
I didn't do that. But thanks for the advice!

:-)

If you looked at my earlier posts I listed Toney as another possibility. So no, I didn't say take one guy "at all costs".
[Reply]
Urc Burry 08:15 PM 02-26-2021
Terrace Marshall’s great uncle is Joe Delaney. It’s meant to be
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:04 AM 02-27-2021
Weapons are great, but the priority has to be fixing the Oline this offseason. Given a choice, I would rather watch a couple of nobody receivers fall down and drop passes for an entire season than watch another single game where Mahomes gets his ass kicked like this years Super Bowl.
The literally had one starter playing in the Super Bowl. ONE.

A lot of this is overreaction.

If Fisher and Schwartz come back, the offensive line suddenly goes from being a glaring weakness to a minor need.
[Reply]
kcbubb 04:44 PM 02-26-2021
Anyone like rondale Moore?
[Reply]
kccrow 05:16 PM 02-26-2021
New mock:

1. WR Terrace Marshall, LSU
2. TE Brevin Jordan, Miami
3. WR Seth Williams, Auburn
4. RB Kylin Hill, Mississippi State
4. WR Marquez Stevenson, Houston
5. OT Adrian Ealy, Oklahoma
5. ER Jonathan Cooper, Ohio State
6. FB Ben Mason, Michigan

Moar weapons.
[Reply]
el borracho 05:31 PM 02-26-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
New mock:

1. WR Terrace Marshall, LSU
2. TE Brevin Jordan, Miami
3. WR Seth Williams, Auburn
4. RB Kylin Hill, Mississippi State
4. WR Marquez Stevenson, Houston
5. OT Adrian Ealy, Oklahoma
5. ER Jonathan Cooper, Ohio State
6. FB Ben Mason, Michigan

Moar weapons.
An ER in the 5th?- Too many resources spent on defense, lol. I wonder what Spagnuolo would do. I keep picturing a Buddy Ryan/ Kevin Gilbride moment between Spags and Veach.
[Reply]
kccrow 05:42 PM 02-26-2021
An ER in the 5th?- Too many resources spent on defense, lol. I wonder what Spagnuolo would do. I keep picturing a Buddy Ryan/ Kevin Gilbride moment between Spags and Veach.
lol, I wouldn't want to be in that room. :-)
[Reply]
Coogs 09:00 AM 02-28-2021
https://youtu.be/fKQJZPVUkWk

Jonathan Adams. 6-3, 220 form Arkansas State. Watched him destroy KSU early last year. It wasn't a one game fluke either. Could be a mid to late round steal that would allow other positions to be addressed early, and still get a legit weapon for Mahomes.

[Reply]
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up