ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Nzoner's Game Room>Win the toss, take the ball?
Chiefnj2 08:49 AM 01-17-2020
What do you think? If K.C. wins the coin toss would you want the ball in order to try and jump out to a lead? I think the benefit of a nice long, prolonged opening drive outweighs getting the ball to start the second half.

The D will need as much as possible in the first half so they don’t wear down tackling Henry.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:31 AM 01-17-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
I was initially thinking take the ball first, but I agree with deferring to the second half... the defense needs to get a three and out on that first drive though.

Watching Tennessee go on a a long 10+ play opening drive would be concerning.
First drive scores are never concerning to me. Those are the scripted plays and no adjustments have taken place yet.

The only time i give a shit about 1st drives is if a 3 and out occurs. That generally means the D had you figured out when you stepped on the field, and now YOU have to adjust.

If the Titans go 3-n-out, that means THEY will need to adjust their game plan.
[Reply]
-King- 11:32 AM 01-17-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
Is there a stat that demonstrates the deferring team is more likely to have the ball at the end of the first half?
I'm pretty sure I've seen a stat showing that but I can't find it now. But just the chance of having the ball at the end of the half AND at the start of the 2nd half is enough to defer. No other time do you have the chance to have two straight possessions.
[Reply]
lcarus 11:35 AM 01-17-2020
I've always been a fan of getting the ball to start the 2nd half. Years ago it seemed like teams would always receive if they won the coin toss and now it seems like most teams choose to receive in the 2nd half.
[Reply]
-King- 11:38 AM 01-17-2020
Originally Posted by lcarus:
I've always been a fan of getting the ball to start the 2nd half. Years ago it seemed like teams would always receive if they won the coin toss and now it seems like most teams choose to receive in the 2nd half.
The coin toss rule chances in I think 2008 making it so coaches could defer to the 2nd half. They couldn't before.
[Reply]
O.city 11:42 AM 01-17-2020
Getting it after half just gives you a chance to set the tone for the 2nd half. Look at last years afc champ game

Plus you can double dip before and after etc
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 11:44 AM 01-17-2020
Originally Posted by Hamwallet:
Nothing kills a teams running game quicker then needing to score points fast. Take the ball and go up 7-0 really damn quick.
This is what Andy really wants to do in this situation I'm sure BUT he will not based on what others have pointed out so far in this thread and it sends a negative message to the team defense especially that he does not have confidence in them so he will defer.

What will be interesting is if the Titans win the toss and possibly defer, so that they can possibly begin the manure shoving back into our asses to establish the 'psychological manhandling physicality' of this game with a potential successful stop on our first possession only to ram down our throats a DH touchdown on their first possession.
[Reply]
lcarus 11:46 AM 01-17-2020
Originally Posted by -King-:
The coin toss rule chances in I think 2008 making it so coaches could defer to the 2nd half. They couldn't before.
Yeah it's so dumb how they have it set up and it was even worse back then. They should have just made it clear that the team who receives to start the game kicks off to start the 2nd half and vice versa. NFL likes to make things too complicated.
[Reply]
tk13 12:19 PM 01-17-2020
If we were on the road maybe, to try and knock the crowd out of it, but at home I'd put the defense out to start.
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 12:20 PM 01-17-2020
Defer
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 12:21 PM 01-17-2020
No it is easier to get a possession right before the half and then come out of the half with the ball to get a bigger point differential.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:13 PM 01-17-2020
We've deferred every single time we've won the toss in the Mahomes era (probably in the Andy Reid era). You don't fix what ain't broke.
[Reply]
Rasputin 01:36 PM 01-17-2020
We've had great success all year getting the ball back in the second half no need to do anything different than that.
[Reply]
Lilmrp117 01:45 PM 01-17-2020
Originally Posted by Hamwallet:
Nothing kills a teams running game quicker then needing to score points fast. Take the ball and go up 7-0 really damn quick.
1 TD is not going to kill there running game and force them to score fast. And that's if we even get the TD on the first possession. I say defer.
[Reply]
scho63 02:20 PM 01-17-2020
Deferring has worked great-I stay the course.
[Reply]
BWillie 02:23 PM 01-17-2020
We want the ball, and we're going to score.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up