ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 10
« First < 678910
Nzoner's Game Room>Whitney Houston makes the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame!....uh....WTF?
Deberg_1990 02:08 PM 01-15-2020
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...143443193.html

This year’s six inductees for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame were announced Wednesday morning, and they are Whitney Houston, Depeche Mode, the Notorious B.I.G., Nine Inch Nails, the Doobie Brothers, and T. Rex.
Notably absent from the Class of 2020, however, was Pat Benatar.

The fact that Benatar — one of the most successful female artists of the 1980s, who undoubtedly set the template for female hard rock singers at a time when few female hard rock singers had a presence on the charts or at rock radio — had never been nominated before had been a subject of annual Hall protest. She was widely predicted to be a lock this year, especially considering that last year’s inductee, Janet Jackson, had implored in her Rock Hall acceptance speech to thunderous applause: “Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, please, 2020: Induct more women!” (Only three female artists total were on this year’s Hall ballot, the other two being Houston and passed-over four-time nominee Rufus featuring Chaka Khan. Women make up less than 8 percent of all Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductees.)

Benatar actually came in second in this year’s online Fan Vote. Also not making the Class of 2020 cut were the Dave Matthews Band, who actually topped the Fan Vote by a wide margin. (It is noteworthy that the seven previous winners of the Fan Vote had all been inducted in their years).
Along with Benatar, hard/classic rock in general was passed over, with nominees Motörhead, Thin Lizzy, Todd Rundgren, the MC5, and two other artists that made the top five of the Fan Vote, Judas Priest and Soundgarden, all not getting in.

It was also interesting that six-time nominees Kraftwerk were passed over in favor of their logical successors Depeche Mode and Nine Inch Nails, since it could easily be argued that all electronic music can be traced back in some way to the German techno pioneers.
[Reply]
splatbass 12:53 PM 01-16-2020
Originally Posted by idrapethat:
Yeah yeah...has it ever really been the "rock and roll" hall of fame? I'm sure plenty of motown made it in early on. It's the "relevant music" hall of fame, but that's less catchy.
Motown influenced rock music, so I can see that. Did you ever listen to the basslines of John Paul Jones or Paul McCartney? Lots of Motown there. Same with blues. Whitney Houston did not influence rock music.
[Reply]
splatbass 12:55 PM 01-16-2020
Originally Posted by Gadzooks:
I've always enjoyed Linda Ronstadt's hatred towards bras but how could she possibly be in the R&RHF?!?
Did you know the Eagles started out as her backing band? And her early music was rock?
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 12:56 PM 01-16-2020
Whitney was a superb artist. But rock n roll she ain’t......
[Reply]
Gadzooks 06:11 PM 01-16-2020
Originally Posted by splatbass:
Did you know the Eagles started out as her backing band? And her early music was rock?
Maybe I'm too young to know her rockin' past.
When I think of her I think:
[Reply]
rabblerouser 08:30 PM 01-16-2020
Originally Posted by Gadzooks:
Maybe I'm too young to know her rockin' past.
When I think of her I think:
  • Blue Bayou
  • Don't know much, (w/ Arron Neville)
  • No bra
Van Halen covered her song "You're No Good".
[Reply]
DeepPurple 10:14 AM 01-17-2020
Originally Posted by old_geezer:
The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is a total joke. Witney Houston but not Pat Benatar? How about they change the name to People We Personally Like Hall of Fame? :-)
I was just listening to Alan Hunter on XM Radio and he said fan voting, Pat Benatar was 2nd and Judas Priest was 5th. So we end up with Whitney Houston and some guy I never heard of, BIG. I know he must be a rapper, they give themselves fake names. That is the Bull Shit Hall of Fame. I guess I'm late to the party, you see how much I pay attention to this crap. The last Grammy Awards I watched was in '89 when Metallica gave Jethro Tull 'Best Heavy Metal Band' award.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 10
« First < 678910
Up