ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Nzoner's Game Room>Brett Veach pre-draft presser
RunKC 10:15 AM 04-19-2024

Asked Brett Veach about moving into top 10-15 for a non-QB:

"I can envision myself doing that. I just got to get the owner's approval," he says with a smile.

Adds right things have to fall in place, they have had attempts to do this in the past that didn't come together. pic.twitter.com/w19xfoub3f

— Matt Derrick (@mattderrick) April 19, 2024

A few notes from Chiefs GM Brett Veach's pre-draft presser this morning:

🏈 KC has 221 players on its draft board

🏈 16-18 players have a Round 1 grade

🏈 This class is deep at WR, CB and DL

🏈 OL (G/C depth + competition at LT), WR and CB depth were areas of need mentioned

— Matt McMullen (@KCChiefs_Matt) April 19, 2024

#Chiefs GM Brett Veach on teams not willing to trade with Kansas City:

“Just some of the AFC teams in general that are consistent playoff performers.., it’s harder to deal with those teams. Even if they do pick up the phone, some of their asking prices are a tick higher.”

— Mackenzie Webb (@kenziewebbsport) April 19, 2024

[Reply]
Jerm 10:16 AM 04-19-2024
He's going up for someone...100% convinced of it now.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:19 AM 04-19-2024
Interesting that he didn't list OT when talking about positions of depth. Almost as if he's focused on getting a guy very early :-)
[Reply]
kccrow 10:23 AM 04-19-2024
Didn't see a link to the actual presser so...

[Reply]
The Franchise 10:23 AM 04-19-2024
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Interesting that he didn't list OT when talking about positions of depth. Almost as if he's focused on getting a guy very early :-)
Competition at OT is interesting. I wonder if they do look at a guy in the first that has position flexibility. If Wanya wins the job, then they have their 1st round pick who can play multiple spots.
[Reply]
RedinTexas 10:37 AM 04-19-2024
Originally Posted by Jerm:
He's going up for someone...100% convinced of it now.
Veach is pretty sly. He may be trying to make everyone think we're trading up when he is actually not planning on doing so. This is a lot like poker. You don't want to be giving tells left and right. When you do spot a tell, you have to ask yourself if the tell is reasonable or not because the opponent may be trying to lead you to believe something.
[Reply]
kccrow 10:42 AM 04-19-2024
I really paid attention to what he said at the 15:00 mark on the value of a guy that falls. Specifically, he speaks about valuing a 1st round player versus maybe two 2nd-3rd round players but what most caught my attention was "... but I think there's some depth in round 2 there..." So, I think what he is looking at is having to give up our 2nd if he wants to make that bold move.

My guess for going to 16 for either Fautanu or Thomas Jr gives up our 2nd and future 3rd form TEN.

Hmm.

If we also read the tea leaves from last year about a guy they really liked in this year's draft and not wanting to give up our 1, there aren't many guys that fit that profile but Fautanu is most certainly a guy that could have been on that list.
[Reply]
Icon 11:06 AM 04-19-2024
Interesting that he mentioned they only have first round grades on 16 or so players. He then guessed that 4 or 5 QBs would be taken and a surprise pick or two could push one of the 16 first rounders down lower to within a range that they would then try to trade up if their guy was there.

Also the very last question was about finding an LT. He said the top guys would go high (early round 1) but they also liked some guys in rounds 2 and 3.
[Reply]
Up