Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>BI Survey: 18-24 year old Westerners hate sports
Discuss Thrower 07:30 PM 09-21-2017

[Reply]
Why Not? 06:52 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Seems kind of odd.

You know what else is odd? Grown adult males that don't like sports. Like seriously, what do you do with your free time?
This. I'll never understand those guys. I can't even comprehend not loving sports.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 06:56 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by RealSNR:

It's possible sportswatching habits occur when kids see dad drinking a beer and watching the game. Or when their junior high/high school sports team friends talk about superstars. That's just not happening. Dads are doing other shit with their time even if they have a passing interest in sports. Kids are talking about bullshit like Harambe and video games and other crap on the internet.

Dunno. It's just a blip. Doesn't make it a trend just yet.
A co-worker with a elementary school aged kid is passionate about college football and watches every sunday.

He still spends more time playing minecraft on the xbox with his kid than watching football with his kid.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:59 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by BWillie:
There are plenty of people this age that love sports. It's hard to buy this. Surely less young people are liking sports than before, but all hope is not lost. As people age they usually start to like sports a little more.

I can't imagine a life without sports. What would you do? Play video games all day? What a waste. 20 year olds are stereotyped generally as not enjoying the outdoors, not wanting to be employed or own anything, play video games all day. I guess this study stereotype holds true.
Actually, I've read legit studies that social services for kids like kids camps are struggling because kids would rather be at home playing video games. It's not just TV. Kids are playing outside less. I can't help but wonder how much the concussion issue has parents stopping their kids from playing certain sports. Even in soccer, kids leagues are paranoid about concussions.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:04 AM 09-22-2017

[Reply]
Loneiguana 07:04 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by notorious:
He is not shitting you.

For once.
I've played a lot of competitive sports.

I've played a lot of video games. Since the early 90's.

But even sitting at work bored with time to kill, I'm still can't bring my to like watching other people play video games unless its like a developer stream of some unreleased game.

Competitive e-sports I get. Dorm wide Halo tournaments were intense. But watching someone play single player game.... eh :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:21 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by BWillie:
There are plenty of people this age that love sports. It's hard to buy this. Surely less young people are liking sports than before, but all hope is not lost. As people age they usually start to like sports a little more.

I can't imagine a life without sports. What would you do? Play video games all day? What a waste. 20 year olds are stereotyped generally as not enjoying the outdoors, not wanting to be employed or own anything, play video games all day. I guess this study stereotype holds true.
Very much this. I don't love sports as much as my family and my career, but man, life would be pretty boring without sports.

Originally Posted by RealSNR:
My parents believed video games would rot my brain. The only "console" I ever had growing up was an old school Game Boy that my aunt got me for a birthday, and my parents were super pissed at her.

It ended up working out fine, because my folks were determined that I know how to operate a computer from a young age, which means I played a LOOOOOOT of Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. For some reason they didn't give a shit about that because I also used the computer for school. Whatever.

Anyway, to this day, I don't own a Playstation, Xbox, or whatever the fuck it is people my age are supposed to play with in their spare time. A bunch of my friends are big into video games, and I pretty much look at them and go, "Don't fucking care." Because I don't.

It's possible sportswatching habits occur when kids see dad drinking a beer and watching the game. Or when their junior high/high school sports team friends talk about superstars. That's just not happening. Dads are doing other shit with their time even if they have a passing interest in sports. Kids are talking about bullshit like Harambe and video games and other crap on the internet.

Dunno. It's just a blip. Doesn't make it a trend just yet.
Brother? That sounds exactly like my parents, except mine wouldn't let me play Doom and Wolfenstein. My buddy shot me a pirated Doom disc and all was right with the world again.

I could own Castle of Kroz though. Well...At least the first few levels, because there was no onboard memory.

Originally Posted by mdstu:
Same here. I watched sports during those years, but normally only in social scenarios. MNF and whatnot. I sure as hell didn't stay in on Sat and Sun to watch sports. I was out chasing tail and hanging with friends.

My die hard sports habits probably started around age 25 or later.
Nah man. In college that's where a pretty good portion of beer drinking (and pussy chasing - my now wife loved watching football and was/is a rabid KU fan) happened. Games were social events. In my group of friends anyway. I I spent time at bars and to a lesser extent too, but college is where I got to LOVE sports. In high school I followed my teams and stuff, but I was too busy playing sports, but in college where I had full time TV and buddies that loved sports too, there was always some sports on somewhere.
[Reply]
notorious 07:21 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by Loneiguana:
I've played a lot of competitive sports.

I've played a lot of video games. Since the early 90's.

But even sitting at work bored with time to kill, I'm still can't bring my to like watching other people play video games unless its like a developer stream of some unreleased game.

Competitive e-sports I get. Dorm wide Halo tournaments were intense. But watching someone play single player game.... eh :-)
My daughter watches Mindcraft videos all the time.

I guess she learns ideas and uses them when she plays, but I think it would get old very quickly.

Roblox is just as bad.

I would rather watch a Pioli Chiefs team than watch someone else play a FPS. Screw that.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:24 AM 09-22-2017
My daughter watches Mindcraft videos all the time.

I guess she learns ideas and uses them when she plays, but I think it would get old very quickly.

Roblox is just as bad.

I would rather watch a Pioli Chiefs team than watch someone else play a FPS. Screw that.
Yeah, I went to get some chemical one after noon and the secretary had her preteen kid (probably 10) in the office and he was just absolutely enthralled watching youtube videos of somebody playing Call of Duty. :-) I don't even like to play that long, much less...watch someone play that long?
[Reply]
Shaid 07:29 AM 09-22-2017
It's the NOW generation. If they want to watch a show, they can start it now. Netflix, Hulu, Kodi, etc. No running to the store to get a DVD, etc. If they need info for a report, bang you have it right now with the internet. If you want to talk to your girlfriend, you have a cell and probably have been texting all day. It's hard for them to unplug from it. Social Media, texting, etc. is almost an all consuming thing.

All the overload of media and different options makes sitting through a 3 hour game really hard for them. Then if the game isn't close, forget about it.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 08:15 AM 09-22-2017
A co-worker with a elementary school aged kid is passionate about college football and watches every sunday.

He still spends more time playing minecraft on the xbox with his kid than watching football with his kid.
I'm guessing he isn't all that passionate then.
[Reply]
wazu 08:21 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
They don't even play video games. They Watch people play video games.
Truth. This has always been far more troubling to me.
[Reply]
HemiEd 08:30 AM 09-22-2017

They have College Football on Sundays?
[Reply]
BigRichard 08:37 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
I didn't really watch much sports at that age. That's when you should be busy trying to get laid as much as possible.
Yeah, I probably didn't start getting into football until I was a little older myself.
[Reply]
HemiEd 08:40 AM 09-22-2017
He is not shitting you.

For once.
Holy crap, I had no idea. I know some people enjoy watching other people fish so I guess it makes sense.

Back in the late 70s I really got into a pinball machine called "middle earth" but that is about it. I thought "Pong" was boring as heck and so was "Pacman" and "Frogger."

I probably spend at least an hour a day playing Holdem on line though.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 09:06 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
I'm guessing he isn't all that passionate then.
:-)

oops.

My fingers aren't use to typing Saturday and football.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up