ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2991 of 3903
« First < 1991249128912941298129872988298929902991 29922993299429953001304130913491 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
suzzer99 10:14 PM 09-26-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
What are the “percentages” of those with underlying conditions?

It’s a bad deal for a lot of people. It’s not hard to take it serious and do things that will help us get thru faster and safer while also allowing businesses and such to move forward.
It's not just death - it's the long-haulers too. It's people who used to run marathons who can't walk up a flight of stairs w/o losing the breath - months after recovery. I know more and more anecdotal stories of this. Way more than kids committing suicide because they can't sit in class.
[Reply]
jdubya 10:18 PM 09-26-2020
Man made virus that is brutal to the elderly and those with comorbidities. Cases will ebb and flow but a vaccine is near. Maybe within 2 months I think.

Carry on
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:22 PM 09-26-2020
It possibly escaped from a lab but there's no evidence it's man made.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 10:47 PM 09-26-2020
I don't know if anyone that knows a guy my age in st joe but he just came out of 5 days with it at mosiac. he is 38?
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:52 PM 09-26-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
It's not just death - it's the long-haulers too. It's people who used to run marathons who can't walk up a flight of stairs w/o losing the breath - months after recovery. I know more and more anecdotal stories of this. Way more than kids committing suicide because they can't sit in class.
There's also anecdotal stories of people with lung cancer and COPD having it and surviving.

Anecdotes are just that, anecdotes.

There's actual statistical data available that suggest the suicide rate is up anywhere from 20-30% this year over last year.

You don't want people to downplay the seriousness of the virus itself. Don't downplay the seriousness of the fallout of measures taken to reduce its spread either.

It's not either/or.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 12:15 AM 09-27-2020
If they committed suicide because of one semester of not being able to physically go to school they probably weren't going to do very well in real life.

Many humans around the globe face much much tougher challenges than having to zoom for a year of school. Yet somehow they cope.

The fear of course is the college kids coming back home with it and killing their parents or grandparents.
Personal bias - you mean like just deciding that the mental health effect somehow trumps the very real observed effect of the virus killing people - because you know it in your bones?

I mean are American kids really that unbalanced that a little bit of temporary hardship and sacrifice sends them into suicide? If so we have much bigger problems than the virus imo.
What a POS you are.
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:29 AM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
There's also anecdotal stories of people with lung cancer and COPD having it and surviving.

There's actual statistical data available that suggest the suicide rate is up anywhere from 20-30% this year over last year.

You don't want people to downplay the seriousness of the virus itself. Don't downplay the seriousness of the fallout of measures taken to reduce its spread either.

It's not either/or.
Now do the suicide rate of teenagers and college kids - which is what I was responding to. Provide a link please.

Or even provide a link that suicide rates are up significantly since Feb. I've been googling a ton and all I find is speculation and stuff about suicidal ideation and how to get help.

This suicide stuff has been a big talking point of the people who claim we can't look at excess deaths as any kind of metric (because of supposed massive amounts of quarantine suicide). I'm not buying it.
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:41 AM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Whar a POS you are.
Says the biggest POS who hasn't been kicked out of this thread yet. You've never shown a lick of human empathy for anyone who gets sick from covid. All you do is try to sneak in BS talking points any way you can. You don't give a shit about suicide. Spare me.
[Reply]
Fish 12:49 AM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:

It's not either/or.
To be honest though, it's not really unexpected that the suicide rate would go up. Any forced isolation would do so. But that shouldn't really be used as evidence that lockdowns and mitigation are a bad thing. Not that you are doing so, but that's generally the insinuation with that kind of statement. If there were a nuclear detonation in the US, it would also require forced isolation. Which would also increase depression and suicide rates. We are very social creatures. That doesn't mean the danger of radiation isn't legitimate. Just that isolation increases the chances depression/suicide/etc. regardless of cause.
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:56 AM 09-27-2020
I've been googling for a half an hour and I can't find any actual evidence the suicide rate has gone up since March. Maybe it has. But right now it's all just speculation that it could go up - from everything I've found. The most recent hard numbers seem to be from 2018.

Suicide has been going up steadily in the US for the last 20 years. That much isn't speculation.
[Reply]
Fish 01:19 AM 09-27-2020
I've been googling for a half an hour and I can't find any actual evidence the suicide rate has gone up since March. Maybe it has. But right now it's all just speculation that it could go up - from everything I've found. The most recent hard numbers seem to be from 2018.

Suicide has been going up steadily in the US for the last 20 years. That much isn't speculation.
There's really not any good valid data for 2020 suicides yet. Usually that kind of data lags by a couple years. 2018 data is the best you'll find right now. There's honestly no concrete evidence that the suicide rate has gone up. It's mostly projections using past data, or anecdotal stories of increases in phone calls and such.

Again, there should be an expectation of increase in depression/suicide regardless. Which doesn't by itself mean that lockdowns or mitigation efforts are a bad thing. The key is finding balance between limiting those issues while still making progress on the big issue which in this case is a global pandemic.
[Reply]
KCUnited 05:10 AM 09-27-2020
Depressed, suck it up.

Diabeetus, shut it down.
[Reply]
O.city 06:48 AM 09-27-2020
It’s a fucked situation. All the way around.

I’ve got more family members who are really struggling with the virus now, couple are younger so hopefully they’ll pull thru it.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:02 AM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Depressed, suck it up.

Diabeetus, shut it down.
Wear your damn mask kids so my fat ass can eat a box of Twinkies on the daily.
[Reply]
jdubya 10:44 AM 09-27-2020
SF Bay Area has almost 9 million people. I just read there are about 350 people hospitalized in Bay Area hospitals for covid.........
[Reply]
Page 2991 of 3903
« First < 1991249128912941298129872988298929902991 29922993299429953001304130913491 > Last »
Up