ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1980 of 3903
« First < 980148018801930197019761977197819791980 198119821983198419902030208024802980 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
staylor26 11:46 AM 05-11-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
It's the best option. I don't think politically it can be done here. You need 100% buy in for it to work.
What is?
[Reply]
O.city 11:47 AM 05-11-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
What is?
Test and trace. I shoudl say it's an option. I don't think it's feasible here though.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:48 AM 05-11-2020
Test and trace. I shoudl say it's an option. I don't think it's feasible here though.
So let’s say hypothetically it isn’t.

Then are our options down to hiding inside until there’s a vaccine or trying to achieve herd immunity?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:48 AM 05-11-2020
I just don't see the ability to test and trace out 330 million americans as a possibility.
Not now.

We needed to keep the lock down going through June 1. I said it weeks ago, and I'll say it again. I've stressed patience throughout this entire thread.

Beyond that, we need vigorous application of distancing and hygiene measures. The messaging behind this should have been consistent from the beginning, but the politicization of the virus has caused a sizable portion of the country to view methods of dropping the R0 as a partisan issue rather than one of public health.

Analyses in several locations around the world have shown the ability to get the R0 below one with these measures. If done, you can stamp the first wave of the epidemic out and then handle future flareups with much greater precision. But when you lack coordinated messaging about the seriousness and spread of the disease, and when people view public health through a political lens instead of a human one, you end up with a cocked up response.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:48 AM 05-11-2020
That’s exactly what most of those people are saying though, so unless we’re waiting on a vaccine, what other reason would we have to still be hiding inside months from now?

You can go to work, restaurants etc but you will need to social distance, wear masks, frequent hand washing etc.

Certain sports though it is impossible to do that so I am skeptical the NBA or the NFL will play this year unless they just say fuck it. I know the NBA wouldn't do that though.
[Reply]
O.city 11:49 AM 05-11-2020

Then are our options down to hiding inside until there’s a vaccine or trying to achieve herd immunity?
Those are about your only 3. Not alot of good options.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:49 AM 05-11-2020
And if that’s the case it’s bullshit.

This virus isn’t deadly enough to justify that. I’m not going to be a moron and call it the flu, but that’s the truth.
I don't mean sports in general but why do you need to do sports radio if there's no sports for a prolonged period?
[Reply]
Mr_Tomahawk 11:50 AM 05-11-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
must have been tough to go through. How is he doing now?

**** I feel like a dick now worried about my kids sports.
He is good now. He has Common Variable Immune deficiency so he will go through "sickly" spells where he is required to get an IVIG to bounce back. After the Kawasaki episode, he was getting an IVIG monthly for about 2 years and then less and less to the point where he hasn't had once in over a year and has been able to fight of illnesses on his own.

But this news just puts us back on high alert just because so little is known about KD to begin with. He is now 9.5 years old and 6 years removed from his KD episode. We are hoping he has "grown out" of this but know it's affecting teenagers as well now...

You don't want to mess with it...basically every blood vessel in there body becomes inflamed...
[Reply]
Donger 11:50 AM 05-11-2020

No. There are other things that we can all do to mitigate the threat. It's not that binary at all.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:51 AM 05-11-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
You can go to work, restaurants etc but you will need to social distance, wear masks, frequent hand washing etc.

Certain sports though it is impossible to do that so I am skeptical the NBA or the NFL will play this year unless they just say fuck it. I know the NBA wouldn't do that though.
We can’t make exceptions for those kinds of jobs and just deal with the consequences? If the rest of the population is still doing that, I don’t see how we can’t.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:51 AM 05-11-2020
That’s exactly what most of those people are saying though, so unless we’re waiting on a vaccine, what other reason would we have to still be hiding inside months from now?
I wouldn't call cherry-picking a few talking heads a representative sample.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 11:52 AM 05-11-2020
One thing that irritates me is the “new normal.” To me it’s a defeatist attitude that perpetuates the idea we can all just go about like this current existence is either normal or feasible long term. It’s neither and should be treated as such.

I also think that messaging causes more resistance to being patient. People are living in fear and uncertainty yet they have to hear “this is the new normal.” It’s not surprising that people will reject this idea and want to move out of it as quickly as possible.
[Reply]
Ebolapox 11:53 AM 05-11-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
There may never be an effective/scalable vaccine, but society must re-open and go back to normal and not some bullshit “new normal”.

During the 1968-1969 Hong Kong Flu Pandemic which killed 100,000+ Americans (mostly ages 65+) and had an R0 comparable to COVID-19 (1.06-2.06 during the first wave and 1.21-3.58 during the second wave), there was no “social distancing” or lockdowns.

Instead America went on with their lives and historical events such as Woodstock, and millions gathering to watch and celebrate Neil Armstrong walk on the moon took place.

Meanwhile 50 years later people are now locked in their homes and afraid to get a haircut.

well jeez, maybe if we'd socially distanced and taken measures less than 100k would've died. you're cool with that many americans dead so we could get woodstock (not at all a success other than culturally mostly by people who weren't there--most who were there were miserable) and the moon landing (quick check: most watched from home. on tv. we could do that now both technologically AND with social distancing).

cool. 100k died in 1968-69. let's not socially distance so the 80k TOTAL IN LESS THAN FIVE MONTHS (you know, 1968-1969, 100k deaths... more than 24 months. 5 months 80k is way more dangerous, in case your logic board failed) can increase.

totally cool. this is fine.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:53 AM 05-11-2020
I still feel the biggest issue we have is we can't just pick something and do it, we have a population that has a huge number of people that will always be difficult no matter what is going on.

We're also a society that has a complete lack of patience, instant gratification that has been trained over the last 10 or so years has caused all that and with something like this having patience is needed.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:54 AM 05-11-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I wouldn't call cherry-picking a few talking heads a representative sample.
I’m not cherry picking anything. Everybody I see saying no football/sports is saying we have to wait on a vaccine. That’s literally all I’m seeing.

You didn’t answer my question.

Other than waiting on a vaccine, why else would we still be hiding inside months from now?
[Reply]
Page 1980 of 3903
« First < 980148018801930197019761977197819791980 198119821983198419902030208024802980 > Last »
Up