ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 301
« First < 61213141516 171819202666116 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official 2019 Kansas City Royals Repository ***
Mama Hip Rockets 08:06 AM 03-28-2019
Get the offseason thread out of here. It's on!

Opening day roster:

Catchers (2): Cam Gallagher, Martin Maldonado

Infielders (7): Hunter Dozier, Lucas Duda, Whit Merrifield, Adalberto Mondesi, Ryan O’Hearn, Chris Owings, Frank Schwindel

Outfielders (4): Alex Gordon, Terrance Gore, Billy Hamilton, Jorge Soler

Starting pitchers (3): Jakob Junis, Brad Keller, Jorge Lopez

Relief pitchers (9): Scott Barlow, Brad Boxberger, Jake Diekman, Chris Ellis, Tim Hill, Ian Kennedy, Kevin McCarthy, Wily Peralta, Kyle Zimmer

Injured list: Danny Duffy, Brian Flynn, Jesse Hahn, Salvador Perez

Suspended: Eric Skoglund
[Reply]
ILChief 08:32 AM 04-07-2019
Ironman Owings not in the lineup today
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:42 AM 04-07-2019
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Yes I know they were terrible, but it's pretty easy to turn that around by having multiple top 5 picks. Yeah we had the best farm system in baseball, but that farm system didn't produce any real stars, aside from Salvy or any number 1/2 starting pitchers. Yeah YV could have been, but it's also just as likely that he flames out.

When it comes to spending DM gives out a ton of bad contracts. Sure he's hit on a few reclamation projects, Melky Cabrera for example, he's given out way too much money to guys who were trash.

So sure everyone misses on contracts, but the one thing DM does that is absolutely fucking infuriating, he has this burning desire to make sure that every single year he has the grittiest son of a bitch he can find;

2007 - Dayton Moore finds his first true love in the form of a shitty little SS who couldn't get a hit off of a little leaguer, but damn could he work that glove baby - Tony Pena Jr was his name and getting out was his game.

2008 - Oh we have multiple sacks of shit this year, because in 2007 Dayton had his eyes on another player on the team by the name of Ross Gload. Ross wasn't a complete shit sucker in 2007, so DM became infatuated with him. By 2008 RG was as gritty as they get and he played the game the right way. What more could Moore ask for from his 1st baseman he was all ready playing hard and had 3 HR and a .348 slg % in 122 games. Let's not forget about TPJ, the magician with the glove, he gritted his way to a .398 OPS and -1.8 WAR. That production earned him 95 games and 235 plate appearances.

2009 - Love triangle is over. Move over TPJ, there's a new Willie in town and DM is head over heels. This guy is top 2 in grit and is the ultimate Swiss Army Knife. He can play every position on the field and is an offensive juggernaut. Willie Bloomquist posts a .663 OPS and gosh dang it guys who have the ability to be that good at the plate and that good all over the field are hard to find. There's nothing like summer love, but this love is about to come to and end. There is a new grit master on the horizon and DM has been eyeing him for awhile and all it takes to get him is Mark Teahen.

2010 - 2013 - Dayton getz married. Chris Getz. So dreamy. The Master of Grit. Chris Getz loved to get down and dirty, literally. Dayton had to invest in a new washing machine because there wasn't a game in those 4 marvelous seasons that Chris didn't have a dirt or grass stain on his jersey. 4 seasons of bliss for DM, but unfortunately injuries cut this marriage short. Four years of starting at 2nd base for the Royals. Dayton knew that no one else in the system could come close to producing like Chris. A .601 OPS is just too good. If only CG could have stayed healthy. He would be the highest paid Royals and still playing for us. Let us not forget that DM is a slut and monogamy is idiotic, 2011-2013 Dayton had a side piece by the name of Frenchy and Frenchy fooled everyone in 2011. 2011 allowed Frenchy to be around for 2012 and part of 2013.

2014 - 2015 - Dayton has his rebound and becomes a better person, also Royals win the pennant twice and 30 years after their 1st championship they win their 2nd. His name was Omar and he was exotic. Dayton threw money at Omar and Omar comforted Mr. Moore. Omar sucked ass during his time with the Royals, but DM didn't care, he brought a championship to a city for the 1st time in 30 years.

2016-2018 The WS hangover years and God dammit you just cant end a streak like Alshitty had. He sucked shit for so long that you just couldn't stop it. Everyone likes watching a trainwreck right?

2019 - DM has become an alcoholic and after the rollercoaster he was just on he needs someone to enjoy these last few years with. Chris Owings, youre up buddy.

Oh my word. Where to start...

First: If top draft picks were all it took to turn a team around, why do teams get stuck in perpetual cycles of suck? It happens.

The MLB draft is a bigger crapshoot than the NFL or NBA. By far. You don’t have very many known quantities.

And the Royals system wasn’t just built on #1 picks. You can’t build a system that way. It was built with good top picks, by nabbing a lot of talent in the later rounds by paying big bonuses to guys drafted later, by bringing in talent from Latin America, and by making good trades.

It also should be noted that he was able to turn that into two WS appearances and a WS title for a small market team. Many GMs have not been able to close the deal on that. He deserves credit for it.

Second (from a previous post of yours)
You can’t say “the Royals haven’t developed any starting pitchers” when Duffy, Ventura and Junis are around. If you want to say they haven’t developed enough of them or high enough quality, OK. But you can’t sum it at zero. It’s inaccurate.

Third:
When the team is not good, it’s going to sign cheap, stop-gap veterans to fill the major league roster. Those guys are going to play a lot and be not good. That’s how it works. And it’s better than short-changing the development frame of players.

People freaked out about Escobar last year. He was signed because they wanted Mondesi to earn the job by actually improving in some areas (health, consistency, approach at plate). All have happened. He’s a better player for having had to return to Omaha and improve.

I’ll close with this:
Moore deserves criticism in some arenas. He hasn’t been perfect. The Infante contract blew up on him. Alex Gordon fell off a cliff 2-3 years before anyone expected it. Ian Kennedy has been a real disaster.

His faith and loyalty to players and staff is a weakness at times (and a strength at others). It’s an issue when it blocks legitimate players they need to play, who are ready (like Dozier and O’Hearn). It’s been an asset many times, too (with Zack Greinke, with Moustakas, Homer, Cain, and Gordon)

The farm system is pointed up. The Royals have moved from a bottom 5 system at this time last year to a top half system that will improve.

And it’s not being done just through big ticket expenses at the top of the draft. It’s being done by changing the profile of guys the Royals go after (they seem to have learned their lesson on the volatile HS pitchers they spent much of the first half of this decade burning draft capital on) and finding more players late in the draft.

This year’s major league team isn’t going to be good. It never was.

A better bullpen and Nicky Lopez might make it a 75 win team instead of a 65-win team. But who cares?

Clearly not many Royals fans, who want to limit conversation to 2014 and 2015 and not talk about the winning season in 2013, and the competitive seasons in 2017 and 2016, in which the team had a chance late.

There are things to watch and want to see happen. Merrifield. Mondesi. Soler. Keller. Junis. Jorge Lopez. The young relievers, when they come up, later.

The rest of it really doesn’t matter. F
[Reply]
ROYC75 08:55 AM 04-07-2019
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Oh my word. Where to start...

First: If top draft picks were all it took to turn a team around, why do teams get stuck in perpetual cycles of suck? It happens.

The MLB draft is a bigger crapshoot than the NFL or NBA. By far. You don’t have very many known quantities.

And the Royals system wasn’t just built on #1 picks. You can’t build a system that way. It was built with good top picks, by nabbing a lot of talent in the later rounds by paying big bonuses to guys drafted later, by bringing in talent from Latin America, and by making good trades.

It also should be noted that he was able to turn that into two WS appearances and a WS title for a small market team. Many GMs have not been able to close the deal on that. He deserves credit for it.

Second (from a previous post of yours)
You can’t say “the Royals haven’t developed any starting pitchers” when Duffy, Ventura and Junis are around. If you want to say they haven’t developed enough of them or high enough quality, OK. But you can’t sum it at zero. It’s inaccurate.

Third:
When the team is not good, it’s going to sign cheap, stop-gap veterans to fill the major league roster. Those guys are going to play a lot and be not good. That’s how it works. And it’s better than short-changing the development frame of players.

People freaked out about Escobar last year. He was signed because they wanted Mondesi to earn the job by actually improving in some areas (health, consistency, approach at plate). All have happened. He’s a better player for having had to return to Omaha and improve.

I’ll close with this:
Moore deserves criticism in some arenas. He hasn’t been perfect. The Infante contract blew up on him. Alex Gordon fell off a cliff 2-3 years before anyone expected it. Ian Kennedy has been a real disaster.

His faith and loyalty to players and staff is a weakness at times (and a strength at others). It’s an issue when it blocks legitimate players they need to play, who are ready (like Dozier and O’Hearn). It’s been an asset many times, too (with Zack Greinke, with Moustakas, Homer, Cain, and Gordon)

The farm system is pointed up. The Royals have moved from a bottom 5 system at this time last year to a top half system that will improve.

And it’s not being done just through big ticket expenses at the top of the draft. It’s being done by changing the profile of guys the Royals go after (they seem to have learned their lesson on the volatile HS pitchers they spent much of the first half of this decade burning draft capital on) and finding more players late in the draft.

This year’s major league team isn’t going to be good. It never was.

A better bullpen and Nicky Lopez might make it a 75 win team instead of a 65-win team. But who cares?

Clearly not many Royals fans, who want to limit conversation to 2014 and 2015 and not talk about the winning season in 2013, and the competitive seasons in 2017 and 2016, in which the team had a chance late.

There are things to watch and want to see happen. Merrifield. Mondesi. Soler. Keller. Junis. Jorge Lopez. The young relievers, when they come up, later.
The rest of it really doesn’t matter. F
:-) :-) :-)

You got my 3 cheers but soon the Drama Queen fans and kneejerkers will be here to tell us how much we are wrong!

You are Oh so spot on about the draft, to the uninformed all of our #1's and #2's should be in the majors in 2 years! Boy I wish they could mature and prosper that quick.

Again, props on trying to help explain this to them!
[Reply]
OKchiefs 09:00 AM 04-07-2019
I agree with most of what Duncan said, even if I am pretty critical of Moore. However, I'm not sure I'd call the farm system top half yet. Let's see how they do this year.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:00 AM 04-07-2019
Should also say, re: criticism of Moore, they didn’t draft well enough once the system changed before 2012. Zimmer was bad luck. But those drafts had too many hollow high picks for the Royals to survive without missing a beat.

But they have made a huge change in draft strategy starting in 16. Its paying off in the way the system is turning.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:07 AM 04-07-2019
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
I agree with most of what Duncan said, even if I am pretty critical of Moore. However, I'm not sure I'd call the farm system top half yet. Let's see how they do this year.
That's fair, man.

They aren't a consensus top 1/2 system. MLB and Baseball America are the two most look at first, and they're in the low 20s in those.

Baseball Prospectus is the one I pay for and trust the most, and they're 16th in that list (technically just on the other side of the top half). That's what I tend to reference.

I like Baseball Prospectus because they look deeper and at players that are farther away, and are less influenced by the "closeness" of players, and less lkely to rank high floor, low ceiling guys in their top 100 list.

I think that's more realistic than the way Baseball America approaches it. Example:

Casey Mize is ranked like an elite prospect by Baseball America and MLB.com (top 20). His upside is that of a 3/4 starter, but his floor is a 5th starter.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:10 AM 04-07-2019
Gordon playing like an All Star 29 Abs in. So theres that!
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 10:27 AM 04-07-2019
Owings is out!!!! But Duda is in
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:45 AM 04-07-2019
Dont worry bullpen will blow in later on
[Reply]
Bowser 10:46 AM 04-07-2019
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Gordon playing like an All Star 29 Abs in. So theres that!

[Reply]
SAUTO 10:57 AM 04-07-2019
No one wanted to play us the last part of 2013. I remember Duncan. We were HOT
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 11:00 AM 04-07-2019
I’d rather have Duda then Owings but O Hearn should be in the lineup everyday. Schwindel should be the DH. Soler in RF and Whit back to his normal position at second. Gordon has been playing like an all star. Yost said Ynoa could be a option in the bullpen. I don’t even know where to start on who to get rid of first. Probably McCarthy or Peralta
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:15 AM 04-07-2019
Gordon was really bad in 2017 but other than that he’s been ok. He’s off to a decent start too. I doubt that contract will end up being very bad. Ian Kennedy tho needs to consider suicide
[Reply]
tk13 11:29 AM 04-07-2019
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
We will never know what Yordano would have become and I was a huge fan, but if you look at his numbers it seemed like be got worse and worse every year in just about every stat. Im not good with advanced numbers and maybe those tell a different story, but here are what his numbers were in the 3 years he was a starter in the majors:

2014: 30 Starts/3.20 ERA/183 IP/1.295 WHIP/8.3 H/9 inn/.7 HR/9 inn/3.4 BB/9 inn/7.8 SO/9 inn

2015: 28 Starts/4.08 ERA/163 IP/1.298 WHIP/8.5 H/9 inn/.8 HR/9 inn/3.2 BB/9 inn/8.6 SO/9 inn

2016: 32 Starts/4.45 ERA/186 IP/1.441 WHIP/9.2 H/9 inn/1.1 HR/9 inn/3.8 BB/9 inn/7.0 SO/9 inn

I am in no way saying that YV sucked just that it's possible that he was starting to decline for some reason.

I don't think a healthy Danny Duffy makes us any better. For some reason he just isn't as good as he was. He had alot of promise, but he's on the wrong side of 30 now. I just wish they could have traded in the offseason after the 2017 season or during the season last year.
It's all speculation, but he was entering his mid to late 20's "prime" years where a lot of pitchers figure out how to actually pitch and not just throw it by guys.

And remember he pitched much better in the 2nd half of 2016. In the 2nd half he posted a 3.73 ERA with 2 CG. He wasn't completely lights out but he looked like a solid starting pitcher.
[Reply]
suzzer99 04-07-2019, 12:14 PM
This message has been deleted by Bowser. Reason: stop it
Prison Bitch 12:54 PM 04-07-2019
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Should also say, re: criticism of Moore, they didn’t draft well enough once the system changed before 2012. Zimmer was bad luck. But those drafts had too many hollow high picks for the Royals to survive without missing a beat.

But they have made a huge change in draft strategy starting in 16. Its paying off in the way the system is turning.

A bit surprised you are avoiding the attendance discussion. I’m calling it a near crisis while others say “meh”. This topic is going to really come to the forefront publicly this summer - mark my words. You know how I’m always ahead of the curve bro.

For those saying it’s just cause we ain’t winnin.....I encourage you to look up attendance figures at peer cities like Mil-Denver-Cinci. CIN been garbage last 5 years, attendance: 2.5, 2.4, 1.9, 1.8, 1.6. We did 1.6 last year and won’t touch it this year.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 04-07-2019, 01:04 PM
This message has been deleted by Bowser. Reason: stop it
Page 16 of 301
« First < 61213141516 171819202666116 > Last »
Up