ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: What's your preference?
Chris Jones 94 54.34%
1st round draft pick + $20m of other players 74 42.77%
Some other option I will describe in the thread 3 1.73%
Polls are fun! 2 1.16%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll
Page 19 of 20
« First < 91516171819 20 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Jones vs. 1st Rounder + $20m
DaFace 11:08 AM 02-18-2020
Obviously this is going to be a key discussion this offseason. On The Athletic's podcast (Time's Ours), Nate Taylor said that he's heard that there are multiple teams out there who would give us a 1st round pick for Jones (assuming we tag and trade him), and possibly more than that.

So just to lay out a simplified version of the options:

Option 1:
Chris Jones (probably around $20m per year)

Option 2:
1st round draft pick (cheap for 4-5 years)
$20m worth of other players

For context on how much other players might cost based on recent free agents we've signed:
Clark - $21m
Mathieu - $14m
Hitchens - $9m
Schwartz - $8m
Okafor - $6m

So...which way do we go?
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 05:17 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
I would rather have the elite talent that is Chris Jones that is a bigger difference maker than any one of those players and possibly even all them together.
This is the most stupid take, maybe on all of CP. you think jones is more impactful than hill, kelce, thornhill, and hardman put together. Pass whatever you’re smoking bud! :-)
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 05:22 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by JakeF:
We started playing Nnadi and Saunders in the middle and that solidified our run defense and protected our linebackers. Our defense really seemed to come together when Jones was hurt.

when jones came back Spags started playing him at DE on run downs.
My response was to rushing the QB not defending the run. Stay on track here.
But since you went there I will say that you are still incorrect in what you think you saw. The run D came together after the first Titan game when they sat Pennel and didn't play Ragland. After that they played Pennel and Ragland on running downs and we were able to stop the run and still defend the pass well enough when a team tried to switch it up trying to catch us off guard. Spags rotated Nnadi, Jones and Saunders next to Pennel for the most part but sometimes he even put Jones at DE next to Pennel and or Nnadi.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:26 PM 02-19-2020
The Sacksquatch voters are winning handily :-)
[Reply]
Skyy God 05:30 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
The Sacksquatch voters are winning handily :-)
Errybody wanted to re-up HoboSpirit too.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 05:30 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky:
This is the most stupid take, maybe on all of CP. you think jones is more impactful than hill, kelce, thornhill, and hardman put together. Pass whatever you’re smoking bud! :-)
I take it that by now you have read the rest of the thread and have figured out that there were two people yourself and one other that didn't figure out the obvious.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:43 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
Errybody wanted to re-up HoboSpirit too.
Trying to replace 1 stud with 2 average joes almost never works

There are only 53 slots available, give me one guy capable of producing like two... not vice versa

We’ll see what Veach does, but my bet is squarely on Jones
[Reply]
MahiMike 05:55 PM 02-19-2020
I have Jones as one of my cornerstone players for this team.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 05:57 PM 02-19-2020
I don’t know that them trading Jones automatically means they’ll just hand that $20M out to 2 or 3 other players that they’d bring in.

Really, trading Jones would signal a need for money to me that it almost certainly dedicated to Mahomes. Not adding new, relatively expensive players.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:34 PM 02-19-2020
Yikes!

In one month (3/19), Jared Goff will be paid his $21M roster bonus for 2020. In addition, his $25M 2021 salary, $2.5M 2021 roster bonus, & $15.5M 2022 roster bonus ALL become fully guaranteed. His dead cap figure will rise to $94M!

— Spotrac (@spotrac) February 19, 2020

[Reply]
Buehler445 06:40 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I’ve come to the conclusion that you pay Chris Jones. Dude is fucking 25 and just hitting his peak. You don’t let those players go. We need to stop acting like we can’t afford it. There are ways to maneuver the cap. Dude was a trooper and showed up to camp because Veach told him that he would work on a new deal. Jones held up his end of the deal....now you pay the man.
I am fairly worried if it doesn’t work out with Jones that it might damage some good faith in the locker room. The locker room seems to be an all time high.

Originally Posted by The Franchise:
So do you never pay any of your defensive players?

Injuries happen. It’s all about how you structure the contracts.

Dorsey was fucking shit at contracts.
No argument about Dorsey there.

I did this exercise with my Hill thread. If you look through the highest paid contracts at every position they don’t look like a good deal. Hell Donald even didn’t have a great year this year.

I go back to the productivity per unit Salary Cap just doesn’t seem very good at all in any position other than good QBs. That’s perhaps exacerbated by all the first round bounces where the other team mitigates our good guy and he produces fucking nothing in a first round bounce. But that doesn’t change the fact that if you paid for a dude that didn’t produce very much more than a dude half his price.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 06:41 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic:
He has said in interviews that he started structuring contracts with Mahomes second contract in mind the moment he became GM.

I am firmly in the we need to keep Chris Jones camp, but one thing we all need to keep in mind is that Jones hasn't demanded $20 million, and has stated that he wants to be a Kansas City Chief. I'm not saying he is going to take significantly less than fair market value, but as of right now we don't have any idea what his asking price is.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
I'm surprised more players don't take a reasonable discount... Jones has a chance at the HOF if he wins another superbowl or 2 and would probably end up on the Ring of Honor. Also, the gov't takes 50% of any potential increase over a discount... Although they get 50% of the overall as well....
[Reply]
RunKC 06:55 PM 02-19-2020
If this CBA deal with 2 extra games per season instead of 1 passes, you pay Jones what he wants and backload the holy hell out of it.

Instead of the average $10 million rise in the cap every year, it’s gonna easily be at least $15 million per year.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 06:55 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
If this CBA deal with 2 extra games per season instead of 1 passes, you pay Jones what he wants and backload the holy hell out of it.

Instead of the average $10 million rise in the cap every year, it’s gonna easily be at least $15 million per year.
More probably. Cause they’re already getting a bigger chunk % wise.
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:16 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
I'm surprised more players don't take a reasonable discount... Jones has a chance at the HOF if he wins another superbowl or 2 and would probably end up on the Ring of Honor. Also, the gov't takes 50% of any potential increase over a discount... Although they get 50% of the overall as well....
I think there's a few reasons for this. Obviously one is that most of these guys came for poor backgrounds, and they can't even imagine turning down more money.

Then, consider that a lot of these guys are literally supporting their entire extended family. Parents, uncles, aunts, baby mommas, etc.

The average NFL career is about 3 years.

No one gets paid the last year of their contract.

Their agents get paid more if they get paid more, so . . .

Probably a few more reasons on top of those.

And the vast majority of players will never be inducted into the HOF, so why not take the money?

But if I were a player of Chris Jones' caliber, I would definitely think about the HOF and my legacy. Multiple SB rings would be a top goal right now, were I him. And I would take a discount to achieve that goal.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 08:08 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
There are some reasons for taking a discount. If you live in a state that does not have state income tax. It probably would save you the difference in taxes.
If the contract is $5M less over the length of say 5 years then probably, especially if you are on a team that is contending or you already have roots.
[Reply]
Page 19 of 20
« First < 91516171819 20 >
Up