ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 25 of 62
« First < 152122232425 2627282935 > Last »
Media Center>Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread
Buck 07:05 PM 03-20-2012
There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142
[Reply]
keg in kc 06:03 AM 04-27-2014
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Maybe a few shots would help me get past that page. I'm told the stories are fantastic, but much like William Gibson's works I just have trouble getting past the writing.
That would be why I don't particularly enjoy Kim Stanley Robinson. I'm just not a fan of his writing style.
[Reply]
Braincase 11:54 AM 04-27-2014
Originally Posted by scott free:
I used to be waaay into the "Drizzt" the Dark Elf books, by RA Salvatore.

Anyone heard of it?
Nobody plays MMPORPG with a Dark Elf wielding two scimitars anywhere... just doesn't happen.

Bob Salvatore probably created the most iconic fantasy character in the last 50 years. I've read almost all of the books. Used to be a big D&D/Forgotten Realms fan. Teaching my son to play Pathfinder these days.
[Reply]
patteeu 11:58 AM 04-27-2014
Originally Posted by Braincase:
Nobody plays MMPORPG with a Dark Elf wielding two scimitars anywhere... just doesn't happen.

Bob Salvatore probably created the most iconic fantasy character in the last 50 years. I've read almost all of the books. Used to be a big D&D/Forgotten Realms fan. Teaching my son to play Pathfinder these days.
Have you ever read a book written by Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan?
[Reply]
unlurking 03:36 PM 04-27-2014
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
That would be why I don't particularly enjoy Kim Stanley Robinson. I'm just not a fan of his writing style.
Gotcha. Just glad there's so much to choose from!
[Reply]
cookster50 03:46 PM 04-27-2014
I've been on a sci fi kick lately. Anyone else finding that a lot of these sci fi writers are dirty old men that keep writing about the people of the future getting it on all the time?
[Reply]
Bowser 05:35 PM 04-27-2014
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Hyperion is one of the best novels I've ever read. You should really give it more than a single chapter and a few pages. Simmons received the Hugo award for it (same as Robinson got for Green and Blue Mars as I recall).
Originally Posted by listopencil:
^
Another vote from the Hyperion Trilogy here.
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:52 PM 04-27-2014
Originally Posted by cookster50:
I've been on a sci fi kick lately. Anyone else finding that a lot of these sci fi writers are dirty old men that keep writing about the people of the future getting it on all the time?
Check out Richard K. Morgan's Takashi Kovacs trilogy. No sex there. Promise!

:-)
[Reply]
Braincase 01:49 PM 04-29-2014
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Nope, but if I knew what to look for, I'd be all over it.
[Reply]
Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 07:40 PM 04-30-2014
Maybe one or two. :-)
[Reply]
patteeu 10:35 PM 04-30-2014
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan:
Maybe one or two. :-)
Didn't you write a forgotten realms book a while back?
[Reply]
Miles 10:37 PM 04-30-2014
Sounds like I need to get around to finally reading Hyperion.
[Reply]
Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 05:42 PM 05-01-2014
Didn't you write a forgotten realms book a while back?
No, I haven't been able to crack the Forgotten Realms nor Pathfinder books yet.

I did a novelization of Gauntlet Dark Legacy, and then did some novellas and short stories for Star Trek, Doctor Who, and the Incredible Hulk.

Now, I'm doing some original fantasy work (short stories - ebooks), as well as some "New Pulp" (action/adventure stories using either original or public domain characters).

A list of most of my work can be found here - My Bibliography. I've got a few more book covers to upload there once I get this paper done for school (the last one I have to do for my Masters outside of my Thesis. Huz-frickin-zah!)
[Reply]
patteeu 07:29 PM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan:
No, I haven't been able to crack the Forgotten Realms nor Pathfinder books yet.

I did a novelization of Gauntlet Dark Legacy, and then did some novellas and short stories for Star Trek, Doctor Who, and the Incredible Hulk.

Now, I'm doing some original fantasy work (short stories - ebooks), as well as some "New Pulp" (action/adventure stories using either original or public domain characters).

A list of most of my work can be found here - My Bibliography. I've got a few more book covers to upload there once I get this paper done for school (the last one I have to do for my Masters outside of my Thesis. Huz-frickin-zah!)
Congrats!
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:55 PM 05-24-2014
The new Dresden Files is out Tuesday on Audible, looking forward to that, so I'm re-listening to Cold Days.
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 09:51 AM 05-25-2014
I'm sharing a hotel with these people called BayCon. Wow.
[Reply]
Page 25 of 62
« First < 152122232425 2627282935 > Last »
Up