« First < 95999105106107108109 110111112113119 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Dorsey gone?
bdj23 02:12 PM 06-22-2017
Per 610.

The ****?
[Reply]
Rausch 09:57 AM 06-26-2017
Originally Posted by Inmem58:
Two outside names on the radar for #Chiefs GM job, per sources: Scott Fitterer (#Seahawks) and Ryan Cowden (#Titans).
I like this idea.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:59 AM 06-26-2017
Originally Posted by FringeNC:
Short version: Reid forced Dorsey out
No
[Reply]
BlackOp 09:59 AM 06-26-2017
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Good points.

Also consider that we probably could have had him for about $5 mil less a year had we not waited until his 22 sack season to resign him.

And pass rusher might be the 2nd most important position on the field in the modern NFL.
All that is true but Houston hasn't played much so the return on the investment has been terrible.

While Ford/Hali haven't been world-beaters it was still a pretty shrewd move by Dorsey to draft Ford...
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:01 AM 06-26-2017
Originally Posted by O.city:
Can someone cliff note what was said in that?
It's fairly irrelevant. Also, how can some bozo that lives in Denver have the "inside scoop" on the Chiefs front office drama when the local reporters seems to know next to nothing?

Allbright is talking out of his ass and Josh Briscoe, whomever he is, is speculating.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:02 AM 06-26-2017
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
All that is true but Houston hasn't played much so the return on the investment has been terrible.

While Ford/Hali haven't been world-beaters it still was a pretty shrewd move by Dorsey to draft Ford...
The Houston extension hasn't paid dividends but there's no way the Chiefs could allow him to walk, especially to a division rival.
[Reply]
Rausch 10:04 AM 06-26-2017
So far, yes.

While Ford/Hali haven't been world-beaters it still was a pretty shrewd move by Dorsey to draft Ford...
Not if he was going to ride the pine for 3 years, and overpay Hali on top of it.

If anything we should have let Hali walk and let Ford play. And I'm not a huge Ford fan but he's a better pure pass rusher (at this point in their careers) than Hali is...
[Reply]
Rausch 10:05 AM 06-26-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
The Houston extension hasn't paid dividends but there's no way the Chiefs could allow him to walk, especially to a division rival.
This.

To me this is like the Cousins/DC deal. They told Cousins to prove it, he did, now he's going to ask for big bucks.

At this point it isn't about what Cousins is worth, because some NFL team will be stupid enough to overpay him, it's about what it will cost to keep him...
[Reply]
BlackOp 10:07 AM 06-26-2017
So far, yes.

Not if he was going to ride the pine for 3 years, and overpay Hali on top of it.

If anything we should have let Hali walk and let Ford play. And I'm not a huge Ford fan but he's a better pure pass rusher (at this point in their careers) than Hali is...
Hali had a lot of pressures last season...if I'm not mistaken.
[Reply]
BlackOp 10:11 AM 06-26-2017
This.

To me this is like the Cousins/DC deal. They told Cousins to prove it, he did, now he's going to ask for big bucks.

At this point it isn't about what Cousins is worth, because some NFL team will be stupid enough to overpay him, it's about what it will cost to keep him...
QB is a different animal...look at Denver, they have Miller (who KC thought they were getting in Houston) but still missed the playoffs.

I'm just being pragmatic about mega-contracts for non-QBs...and if they really are beneficial for a team in the long run. How many actually work out? JJ Watt missed last season....
[Reply]
Rausch 10:23 AM 06-26-2017
I'm just being pragmatic about mega-contracts for non-QBs...and if they really are beneficial for a team in the long run.
QB's and elite pass rushers always get them. That's just how it is.

As far as KC's $$$ spent on players under Dorsey I'd break it down like this:

1) Top tier talent: for the most part paid market value got value for what they paid (Kelcee, Berry, Houston, etc.)

2) Mid tier talent: overpaid and few mid-range players would be considered a good deal. (Hali, Parker, Fisher, etc.)

3) Bottom draft picks/signings: saved us $$$, consistently produced far beyond their cost, often contributed in big ways (Ware, Hill, Tardif, etc. )
[Reply]
RunKC 10:35 AM 06-26-2017
Trent Kirchner-Seattle
Russ Ball-GB
Brian Gutekunst-GB
Joey Clinkscales-Oakland
Omar Khan-Pittsburgh
Mark Koncz-Carolina

Brett Veach is the best option IMO but I think these guys should get strong consideration.
[Reply]
Dante84 10:37 AM 06-26-2017
Okay, so if I'm Hunt, here's how I handle it.

There's not another opening right now, so this is an exclusive search where there is zero risk of losing a potential candidate to another organization. The Chiefs have full leverage in that regard.

So, I bring in all of the best and brightest minds in football right now to interview, regardless of my intention to hire them or not. Make it thorough as fuck - all big swinging dicks. Aside from the basic aspects of the interview, where background is described and skills are discussed, I have them all complete a huge exercise of describing one thing:

"Lay out your plan for bringing Kansas City a Super Bowl, in detail, and as comprehensive as possible."

I record all of these discussions, and I keep all of the materials that they provide - reports, analysis, etc...

At that point, I make my selection, and hand them everyone else's analysis of what needs to happen. Cherry pick all of the great ideas from a pool of very good ideas.
[Reply]
Rausch 10:40 AM 06-26-2017
Originally Posted by Dante84:
Okay, so if I'm Hunt, here's how I handle it.

There's not another opening right now, so this is an exclusive search where there is zero risk of losing a potential candidate to another organization. The Chiefs have full leverage in that regard.

So, I bring in all of the best and brightest minds in football right now to interview, regardless of my intention to hire them or not. Make it thorough as **** - all big swinging dicks. Aside from the basic aspects of the interview, where background is described and skills are discussed, I have them all complete a huge exercise of describing one thing:

"Lay out your plan for bringing Kansas City a Super Bowl, in detail, and as comprehensive as possible."

I record all of these discussions, and I keep all of the materials that they provide - reports, analysis, etc...

At that point, I make my selection, and hand them everyone else's analysis of what needs to happen. Cherry pick all of the great ideas from a pool of very good ideas.
JMO but Clark seems to interview until he finds a philosophy he likes and rides with it...
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:33 AM 06-26-2017
JMO but Clark seems to interview until he finds a philosophy he likes and rides with it...
It's the GM's job to scout, sign and draft players that fit with the offensive and defensive scheme.

Clark hired Pioli, who hired Haley, to run the same exact offensive and defensive schemes that were run in New England.

Clark hired Dorsey to scout, draft and sign players that run Reid's offense and Sutton's defense, which is why we saw so many guys claimed off the waiver wire from teams running the same offense and defense (i.e., Philly, Seattle and Green Bay).

Clark won't stray from that type of team building philosophy. But what he needs to accomplish in interviewing external candidates is for him personally not to make the same mistakes as he did with Pioli and with Dorsey.

Reid will always have an influence in terms of personnel because he's the head coach and ultimately is responsible for putting players on the field that can "win" at their position.

But Clark really needs to figure out the type of person that makes him comfortable running the football operations because clearly, Pioli and Dorsey did not.
[Reply]
Rausch 11:37 AM 06-26-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
But Clark really needs to figure out the type of person that makes him comfortable running the football operations because clearly, Pioli and Dorsey did not.
Clark needs to define an identity for his team and stick with it.

Period.

HIS idea of what Chiefs football is.

Not what's winning, not what the new fad is, what HIS team's identity is going to be...
[Reply]
Page 109 of 137
« First < 95999105106107108109 110111112113119 > Last »
Up