ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1534 of 3903
« First < 534103414341484152415301531153215331534 153515361537153815441584163420342534 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bwana 10:16 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It's not a government order that's shut them down, right? Are there other vets (non-emergency) in your area that are open?
No it's not an order, this gal must have gotten some kind of Rona OCD/PTSD or something. There are some other ones that are open, but they told me they are not taking any new patients right now.
[Reply]
Donger 10:16 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by Bwana:
The refineries are already running on Skelton crews around here. Between P-66 and Exxon Mobil, they laid off over 1500 people and that was clear back in mid March.
Yep...

I think this has been updated since last week.
[Reply]
stevieray 10:20 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Right... They are going to have to get creative to keep businesses afloat but I mean the economy isn't going to come back in full force until a vaccine comes out
Not even close to feasible.

Can't just lay down and die.
[Reply]
Setsuna 10:21 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
What's "wow" about this thread still existing?
The stipulation that there are no politics in the thread. It's laughable really. I thought they'd just close the thread because of how impossible that stipulation is.
[Reply]
Donger 10:22 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by Setsuna:
The stipulation that there are no politics in the thread. It's laughable really. I thought they'd just close the thread because of how impossible that stipulation is.
It seems to be decidedly non-political, actually.
[Reply]
Bwana 10:26 AM 04-20-2020
You know how many people have been booted from this thread? There are a couple more on the bubble as well, but the people that insisted on making it political were shown the door.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:28 AM 04-20-2020
There is a distinct possibility that a viable vaccine never results. With that said, there are strategies to overcome this-- the first is mitigation, which we are doing now. The second is to ensure that there is effective testing and contact tracing, which we haven't yet established, but this can be made easier by implementing changes like mask wearing and effective hygiene. If this is done intelligently, then the spread can be severely curtailed. Other countries have already shown us the blueprint.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 10:30 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
U.S. crude prices plunged to their lowest level in more than 30 years on Monday as traders continue to fret over a slump in demand due to the coronavirus pandemic. The price of the nearest oil futures contract, which expires Tuesday, was the hardest hit, detaching from later month futures contracts with a drop of more than 30%. This suggests that some believe there could be a recovery later in the year.

West Texas Intermediate crude for May delivery tanked 42.2%, or $7.75, to $10.52 per barrel.
I believe this is mainly due to future contracts going to cash value, this should be a temporary situation as contracts further out are in the mid 20's. Still, not great news, at $11 or $25.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:32 AM 04-20-2020
NY's first and hopefully only post of the day 478 new deaths. By far the lowest is weeks.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 10:33 AM 04-20-2020
Perhaps some more good news on a study out of Boston:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...exposed-2020-4

Originally Posted by :
A test of 200 people just outside Boston found that 32% had been exposed to the coronavirus, compared to an official rate of 2%
If extrapolated out to the general population, this would mean we are closer to herd immunity than previously thought, and the IFR is much lower.
[Reply]
O.city 10:36 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
There is a distinct possibility that a viable vaccine never results. With that said, there are strategies to overcome this-- the first is mitigation, which we are doing now. The second is to ensure that there is effective testing and contact tracing, which we haven't yet established, but this can be made easier by implementing changes like mask wearing and effective hygiene. If this is done intelligently, then the spread can be severely curtailed. Other countries have already shown us the blueprint.
With the testing issues and the actualities of the virus, we don't even know who has this thing.

I just don't see unless testing is scaled to a massive level what good it really does. Until the positive tests compared to the tests we're doing gets down around 1%, we're catching like a fraction of the virus.
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:36 AM 04-20-2020
It's actually going pretty well... 90% has been meta-political talk in at least the past week, if not longer.

We should just start booting people who keep bringing up the idea of politics in this thread, huh?
[Reply]
O.city 10:37 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:

If extrapolated out to the general population, this would mean we are closer to herd immunity than previously thought, and the IFR is much lower.
There's some issues with the set up of these studies from what i've read but it's encouraging atleast.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:39 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:

Again, the issue is that it just doesn't pass the sniff test. If 32% were exposed, that means that tripling the number of deaths per capita should yield a maximum per-capita death rate. But according to Covidly, Massachusetts is at 251 compared to New York at 924. It's hard to reconcile that, though I know that things are still settling out.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:41 AM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
There's some issues with the set up of these studies from what i've read but it's encouraging atleast.
You've read more than I have - is the reliability of the serology tests an issue? I've seen some suggestions that some of the antibody tests are turning out to be junk, but I don't have a feel for how big of an issue it is.
[Reply]
Page 1534 of 3903
« First < 534103414341484152415301531153215331534 153515361537153815441584163420342534 > Last »
Up