ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 830 of 3903
« First < 330730780820826827828829830 83183283383484088093013301830 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 02:48 PM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I had assumed that cruise ships had already been shut down. Weird.
They've been out to sea since early March. Apparently they thought they were all safe on board? Idk.
[Reply]
Bugeater 02:52 PM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
The old folks are being hard-headed as hell about this thing.

My grandparents are in their 80s and my grandpa is just a walking disaster - damn near every part of him is broken in some way. They have spent the last week insisting that they're gonna come back to KC from their little snowbird cottage in Florida. My mom and I have been arguing with them to just !@#$ing stay put.

Yesterday they finally relented and said they'd stay there. There's just no sense at all in exposing yourself to more people. I mean on one hand, florida is probably going to get hit harder and with their population of elderly there may be a greater chance of capacity issues in their hospitals. But driving 16 hours over a couple of days to get yourself back to Kansas City isn't smart either - that's just more time out in the public.

Ultimately had they come up with a better reason, I suspect I'd have been more inclined to listen. But they just wanted to get back and open their house back up and get to a couple of doctors appointments they'd had scheduled. Just being stubborn old goats.
I can't speak for them, but I have a feeling if I made it to 80+ years, I'd almost have a "bring it on!" mentality about this whole thing. You likely don't have many years left - might as well live life rather than be confined to your home like a prison.

(I reserve the right to change my position about it in 45 years though.)
More reasons the airports should have been closed. Fuck it, open the restaurants and bars back up and let the goddamn thing play out.
[Reply]
TLO 02:52 PM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Also heard from the same guy that there will be likely be a continuing trend of about 10 out of 100 people that actually test positive.
This number is still kind of astounding to me. We can talk about false positives/negatives all you want. It's still pretty crazy.
[Reply]
Monticore 02:52 PM 03-27-2020
I had assumed that cruise ships had already been shut down. Weird.
They had 70 ships at sea last week.
[Reply]
wazu 02:52 PM 03-27-2020
I can't speak for them, but I have a feeling if I made it to 80+ years, I'd almost have a "bring it on!" mentality about this whole thing. You likely don't have many years left - might as well live life rather than be confined to your home like a prison.

(I reserve the right to change my position about it in 45 years though.)
Yeah no kidding. I'm finally retired, trying to enjoy my newfound freedom before my body breaks down, and people want me to "shelter in place"? Screw that. Even if you're 80 years old your odds are actually still really good against this thing.
[Reply]
oaklandhater 02:53 PM 03-27-2020

NEW: Friday 27 March update of coronavirus mortality trajectories

• UK has more dead at this stage than any country except Spain & Italy ⚠️
• US now clearly more deaths than China or Iran, could soon pass France
• India added

Live version FREE TO READ https://t.co/VcSZISFxzF pic.twitter.com/aT5lZ0601R

— John Burn-Murdoch (@jburnmurdoch) March 27, 2020

Death toll trajectories in subnational regions:

• New York, Catalonia, Madrid, Paris: new urban epicentres
• London curve steepens, more than 60 new deaths in last 24h
• Florida & California steepening but still no nationwide US lockdown

All charts: https://t.co/VcSZISFxzF pic.twitter.com/0ng4J0EdUl

— John Burn-Murdoch (@jburnmurdoch) March 27, 2020

[Reply]
eDave 02:54 PM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
Yeah no kidding. I'm finally retired, trying to enjoy my newfound freedom before my body breaks down, and people want me to "shelter in place"? Screw that. Even if you're 80 years old your odds are actually still really good against this thing.
My dad is over the top scared. He's like 82 or something like that.

Asshole brother was talking about inheritance the other day. :-)
[Reply]
Monticore 02:54 PM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
if i hit 80 i am doing coke and jumping out of planes, try and stop me.
[Reply]
oaklandhater 02:55 PM 03-27-2020
The University of Washington projects that the pandemic will peak on April 14th, and there will be roughly 80,000 deaths by the end of August.

How many more deaths do we need until we get a nation wide lockdown.
[Reply]
Bugeater 02:56 PM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by oaklandhater:
The University of Washington projects that the pandemic will peak on April 14th, and there will be roughly 80,000 deaths by the end of August.

Did you ever post the details of this lockdown you are advocating? I may have missed it.
[Reply]
oaklandhater 02:56 PM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Did you ever post the details of this lockdown you are advocating? I may have missed it.
I mean the state lockdowns are barely being enforced.

it needs to come down from a federal level.

something like Ireland is doing for 2-3 weeks is what we need to get ahead of this

BREAKING: Ireland announces nationwide lockdown due to coronavirus, effective at midnight

— BNO Newsroom (@BNODesk) March 27, 2020

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:56 PM 03-27-2020
Maybe more than 5 per 1 million people.
[Reply]
oaklandhater 02:57 PM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Maybe more than 5 per 1 million people.
the thing is once we reach that level it's gonna be a bitch slowing it down.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:58 PM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
My dad is over the top scared. He's like 82 or something like that.

Asshole brother was talking about inheritance the other day. :-)
Yeah, that's shitty. I've always found talk of inheritance to be a bit offputting in general. I'd imagine I'll get something when my parents pass (hopefully not for years), but I won't be building it into my retirement plans. I get what I get, and hopefully they live long enough that there won't be much left.
[Reply]
Bugeater 02:58 PM 03-27-2020
I mean the state lockdowns are barely being enforced.

it needs to come down from a federal level.

something like Ireland is doing for 2-3 weeks is what we need to get ahead of this

You're dodging the question. Just give me list of conditions.
[Reply]
Page 830 of 3903
« First < 330730780820826827828829830 83183283383484088093013301830 > Last »
Up