ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 28
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Josh Allen “debating” whether to get COVID-19 vaccine
kcbubb 10:12 PM 04-07-2021
The NFL will not mandate COVID-19 vaccines. Thus, it stands to reason, even with incentives offered to teams and players who are vaccinated, some players aren’t going to get a shot.

Bills quarterback Josh Allen could be one of those. In an appearance on The Ringer’s “10 Questions With Kyle Brandt” podcast, Allen said he has not had a vaccine and might not get one.

“I’m still debating that,” Allen said, via Matt Parrino of nyup.com. “I’m a big statistics and logical guy. So, if statistics show it’s the right thing for me to do, I’d do it. Again, I’d lean the other way, too, if that’s what it said. I haven’t been paying attention to it as much as maybe I should have. I’ve just been doing my thing and masking up when I’m going out and just staying close and hanging around family.”

It is unclear what statistics Allen needs to see to convince him to get a shot. The Pfizer vaccine was shown a 95 percent efficacy rate in preventing symptomatic COVID-19, just 1 percentage point more than Moderna’s. The single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine was shown to have a 72 percent efficacy rate in the United States in preventing symptomatic illness and an 85 percent efficacy rate in preventing the most severe disease 28 days after vaccination.

Allen, 24, made clear he’s against any kind of mandate.

“I think everybody should have that choice to do it or not to do it,” Allen said. “You get in this tricky situation now where if you do mandate that that’s kind of going against what our constitution says and the freedom to kind of express yourself one way or the other. I think we’re in a time where that’s getting a lot harder to do. Everybody should have that choice.”

However, the league expects to amend certain protocols for those who are vaccinated and for teams as a whole if certain vaccination levels are met, which will encourage (pressure?) players to get a COVID-19 shot.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...id-19-vaccine/
[Reply]
O.city 09:50 AM 04-08-2021
Originally Posted by Shaid:
Except none of that matters if the rest of the world isn't also vaccinated. So the US will be in an ok spot soon, the rest of the world will take a lot longer and something like 20-25% of our population choosing not to get vaccinated and contract it naturally instead isn't going to be a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

Regardless, you also could say the same thing regarding any other disease or flu. Things mutate, we can't control much more. I've been fine with masking but we are getting to a spot very soon where that also will no longer make sense. We were never going to eradicate this, just slow it down to not overrun systems. Now that vaccines are out, it's going to really turn into more of a standard thing like a flu shot.
The current vaccines produce a strong monoclonal antibody response that's holding up well against the variants plus you've got cell mediated immunity. I don't think we'll need boosters.

The more natural infections you get, the more likely you are to get variants which could theoretically develop AB evasion. I'm skeptical on it, but it's definitely possible.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:50 AM 04-08-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Seems like what you're laughing at is more or less the media's interpretation of science for clickbait articles and basically the marketing side of science.

The actual science is pretty much irrefutable. Science isn't 100% guarantees like the media reports it, or when the CDC says "getting back to normal in a year" when they actually mean there's some percentage of a chance to do so in order to talk people into doing what's theoretically the best course of action.

It wasn't ever "wash your hands and wear a mask and no one will die"... it started with washing hands/social distancing to slow down the spread. And when that didn't work, it was wearing masks. And when that didn't work, it was shutting shit down.

All of those things were the best course of action based on the information at the time for a virus that didn't exist 18 months ago.... and everyone should be aware by now that masks aren't 100%, and a mask that's 30% effective will literally slow it down by 30%, not "get back to normal".

Science gets dumbed down a lot because people in general are terrible at math and want to know without a doubt what's going to happen in the future.... well, science isn't about crystal-balling, it's about logically coming to conclusions based on the data provided at the time and then modifying the conclusion as more data becomes available.

And people don't like that. :-)

tl;dr... stop watching the news and with any article that says "a new study says...", go find that study and read what it really said.
My "laugh" was at him saying that closing down a tire shop isn't a life ruined because a mother of 3 that died from COVID can't come back to life.

Nevermind the fact that people who lost their jobs through no fault of their own OD'd, killed themselves, and even died of other ailments because they feared catching COVID at the doctor's office or because they couldn't afford treatment due to lack of employment.

Those people are actually dead and can't come back to life but they apparently don't matter. Actually, they haven't mattered this whole time. It's all about the RONA.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:51 AM 04-08-2021
Originally Posted by Donger:
Yep, and one of the interesting things about this is it showed how binary some people are.
Oh the irony.
[Reply]
Donger 09:51 AM 04-08-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Oh the irony.
There's no irony. I'm not binary.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:52 AM 04-08-2021
Originally Posted by Shaid:
Except none of that matters if the rest of the world isn't also vaccinated. So the US will be in an ok spot soon, the rest of the world will take a lot longer and something like 20-25% of our population choosing not to get vaccinated and contract it naturally instead isn't going to be a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

Regardless, you also could say the same thing regarding any other disease or flu. Things mutate, we can't control much more. I've been fine with masking but we are getting to a spot very soon where that also will no longer make sense. We were never going to eradicate this, just slow it down to not overrun systems. Now that vaccines are out, it's going to really turn into more of a standard thing like a flu shot.

Yeah people seem to have this unrealistic expectation that the virus is going to go away. As it continues to be present and infect more and more people it just shifts towards resembling any number of the dozens of other coronaviruses already out there that no one cares one iota about.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:52 AM 04-08-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
The messaging was always the problem.

From the very beginning it should have been said "this isn't going to go away unless we can suppress it to near zero, which we can't" Once it got widespread, there wasn't any slowing it until you get it or get vaccinated. Now we have variants popping up that could lead to reinfection, but it's not likely.

It wasn't ever going to be a "slow the spread for two weeks" thing.

Just tell people whole thing and let them deal with it.
Yeah, and on top of the media misinterpreting things for their own agendas or dumbing it down for absolutes, there are all of the youtube doctors or other talking heads with large audiences that voice an opinion that becomes the audience's opinion because it makes for a good facebook post, but of course with no actual thought behind it.

Tell people everything or tell them part of it, it's just a big game of telephone from kindergarten.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:53 AM 04-08-2021
The messaging was always the problem.

From the very beginning it should have been said "this isn't going to go away unless we can suppress it to near zero, which we can't" Once it got widespread, there wasn't any slowing it until you get it or get vaccinated. Now we have variants popping up that could lead to reinfection, but it's not likely.

It wasn't ever going to be a "slow the spread for two weeks" thing.

Just tell people whole thing and let them deal with it.
That was never going to happen. The general populace is very stupid and can't handle information correctly, especially sensitive information.

If you had a true world ending event about to happen, no government would say a damn thing about it. Why? Because general person can't properly handle said information.

Now that said I don't have much desire to get a covid vaccine. I don't get flu shots etc. And call me whatever you want but considering how long of a process a normal vaccine goes through and what this went through..it sets off my skepticism meter.
[Reply]
O.city 09:54 AM 04-08-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Yeah people seem to have this unrealistic expectation that the virus is going to go away. As it continues to be present and infect more and more people it just shifts towards resembling any number of the dozens of other coronaviruses already out there that no one cares one iota about.
That's not the case quite yet. They're starting to see the variant from the UK cause more serious infections in younger cohorts.

We're a ways from it becoming "the common cold" I'd think. With vaccines though it definitely could.
[Reply]
O.city 09:56 AM 04-08-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
That was never going to happen. The general populace is very stupid and can't handle information correctly, especially sensitive information.

If you had a true world ending event about to happen, no government would say a damn thing about it. Why? Because general person can't properly handle said information.

Now that said I don't have much desire to get a covid vaccine. I don't get flu shots etc. And call me whatever you want but considering how long of a process a normal vaccine goes through and what this went through..it sets off my skepticism meter.
Read up on it. From legit sources, make a decision.
[Reply]
O.city 09:57 AM 04-08-2021
In terms of Josh Allen, if I were the Bills I'd be pretty interesting in speaking to him and educating him on the vaccine. With their investment in him and what they're about to invest in him, I'd imagine they're pretty interested in keeping him healthy.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:57 AM 04-08-2021
Read up on it. From legit sources, make a decision.
I have and I think at best I'll be waiting for awhile. I had covid it was ass I won't deny that.
[Reply]
arrwheader 10:00 AM 04-08-2021
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Lol I'm sure you're an expert on other countries and who they tested.

Want to know how I know you're an idiot?

Other countries did in fact test people, much better and more efficiently in fact.
Oh ok so YOU are the expert in other countries Health Care systems. Ok I'll be sure to consult you for any questions I have on that.

Provide a link or some data on that because I am pretty skeptical on that one.
[Reply]
TLO 10:03 AM 04-08-2021
I've heard from sources close to the situation getting the vaccine can improve the accuracy of his throws by 10%

He'll still be inaccurate as duck but 10% isn't a drop in the bucket.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:03 AM 04-08-2021
Originally Posted by Donger:
There's no irony. I'm not binary.
Of course not, that would imply that you actually see two potential ideas, not just one.
[Reply]
Donger 10:05 AM 04-08-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Of course not, that would imply that you actually see two potential ideas, not just one.
I see all ideas and options. And I select which one makes the most sense.

Now, there are people who say "Masks don't work" because they aren't 100% effective. That's binary.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 28
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Up