ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>To extend Tyrann or not to...
BossChief 08:13 PM 04-06-2021
Tyrann posted something interesting today...

https://twitter.com/mathieu_era/stat...154661892?s=21

Tyrann

You cannot show me that I’m an option, I’ll show you I have others...

Sorry, not sure how to embed from iPhone.

That tweet can mean many things, but it could be correlated to his contract negotiations for an extension in KC that Veach has mentioned is a priority this offseason. It could be related to a relationship, family member, bowling league or wing eating contest.

It’s plausible that the tweet is a public response to the team not wanting to pay a massive AAV to re-sign Tyrann and using other free agent and draft options as reasons they don’t NEED to re-sign him (this is business, nothing more) to try to drive down the price.

Let’s talk about it...

Some pros of extending his contract:

Clears a nice chunk of cap space this offseason.
Keeps a leader in the locker room as well as in the secondary.
Continues to provide the defense with a guy that consistently takes the ball away.

Some cons to an extension for Tyrann:

Once he loses a step, he’s not going to be nearly as effective at his size, he’s already not a burner. He will still be good due to prep snd instincts, but will be beaten more once he loses a step.
Any extension would start after he turns 30. He’s currently signed through age 29 this year.
Judging from his last contract negotiation with us, he wants top of the market money. Most likely a 3 year extension. Something close to 3/48. If structured right, I’d extend him for 3 years...even at that price. The structure would need to give the team options if he falls off.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:05 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
He’s engaged.....
You have alot to learn
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:47 PM 04-06-2021
100% has nothing to do with the Chiefs or his contract. You fucking sleuths do this

Every
Single
Time

Last one I remember was Chris Jones. Oh Chris look is tweeting things that we can associate with his contract negotiations, must mean he's leaving!

Nope wrong
Wrong here too.

Honey Badger is a professional and wouldn't put that shit out in the open.
[Reply]
eDave 01:04 AM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
He’s engaged.....
:-)
[Reply]
tyecopeland 05:44 AM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
100% has nothing to do with the Chiefs or his contract. You fucking sleuths do this

Every
Single
Time

Last one I remember was Chris Jones. Oh Chris look is tweeting things that we can associate with his contract negotiations, must mean he's leaving!

Nope wrong
Wrong here too.

A professional who threw a temper tantrum over madden on twitter.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 06:22 AM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
100% has nothing to do with the Chiefs or his contract. You ****ing sleuths do this

Every
Single
Time

Nope wrong
Wrong here too.

your a sleuth
[Reply]
Chargem 06:59 AM 04-07-2021
If I was Mathieu, I am not sure I would want to negotiate an extension now in a down year cap wise, why not wait until after the season?

It's probably in the Chiefs best interests to extend him now if they want him, but if they don't immediately need the cap room this year then its not too disadvantageous to wait.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:04 AM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by Chargem:
If I was Mathieu, I am not sure I would want to negotiate an extension now in a down year cap wise, why not wait until after the season?

It's probably in the Chiefs best interests to extend him now if they want him, but if they don't immediately need the cap room this year then its not too disadvantageous to wait.
You are probably right.
[Reply]
Direckshun 07:28 AM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by Chargem:

It's not all about the money. It's about the security.

The calculation is easy.

Do you want to be a Top 3 paid safety in the NFL? Will the Chiefs ultimately be willing to make that happen?

The answer to both is almost certainly yes, right?

If that's the case, it's better to get the deal done now. Because he's had an injury history, despite his durability in KC. And if he tears an Achilles and is never the same, he'd only get something like 15-18m, rather than the dozens of millions an extension would guarantee him.

You get the deal done now if you're KC and you get the deal done now if you're Mathieu.
[Reply]
RockChalk 07:39 AM 04-07-2021
Did we re-sign this piece of shit yet?
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:00 AM 04-07-2021
Dude is making $14.8MM in 2021 to play safety. If we plan to keep him long term I am sure they extend him to drop the cap hit, if not then he likely wont be back.

Either way he is making plenty of $ for a safety so he has nothing to complain about (not that he is).
[Reply]
CoMoChief 08:49 AM 04-07-2021
He doesn't seem like he'd hold out. Who knows...Draft that dude out of USC and move on from him if he does.

He's a safety....not a QB.

Losing him would sting a little but you move on.

Chiefs have Mahomes...things aren't what they used to be.
[Reply]
Chargem 10:45 AM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
It's not all about the money. It's about the security.

The calculation is easy.

Do you want to be a Top 3 paid safety in the NFL? Will the Chiefs ultimately be willing to make that happen?

The answer to both is almost certainly yes, right?

If that's the case, it's better to get the deal done now. Because he's had an injury history, despite his durability in KC. And if he tears an Achilles and is never the same, he'd only get something like 15-18m, rather than the dozens of millions an extension would guarantee him.

You get the deal done now if you're KC and you get the deal done now if you're Mathieu.
I don't think stud athletes are risk averse to injuries, they only think their value will go up when they "ball out" in a contract year. I'm sure they could also insure against the risk of a career ender, if they wanted.

I also don't think he wants to be top 3, I think he wants to be top 1.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:50 AM 04-07-2021
He wants to be here, we want him to be here, it'll get done.
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 12:27 PM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I think he sits out this year now.
Heard he wants to pursue his first true love. tennis
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 12:29 PM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Dude is making $14.8MM in 2021 to play safety. If we plan to keep him long term I am sure they extend him to drop the cap hit, if not then he likely wont be back.

Either way he is making plenty of $ for a safety so he has nothing to complain about (not that he is).
He wants to be the highest paid safety and he damn well deserves it!!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up