ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 8
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>To extend Tyrann or not to...
BossChief 08:13 PM 04-06-2021
Tyrann posted something interesting today...

https://twitter.com/mathieu_era/stat...154661892?s=21

Tyrann

You cannot show me that I’m an option, I’ll show you I have others...

Sorry, not sure how to embed from iPhone.

That tweet can mean many things, but it could be correlated to his contract negotiations for an extension in KC that Veach has mentioned is a priority this offseason. It could be related to a relationship, family member, bowling league or wing eating contest.

It’s plausible that the tweet is a public response to the team not wanting to pay a massive AAV to re-sign Tyrann and using other free agent and draft options as reasons they don’t NEED to re-sign him (this is business, nothing more) to try to drive down the price.

Let’s talk about it...

Some pros of extending his contract:

Clears a nice chunk of cap space this offseason.
Keeps a leader in the locker room as well as in the secondary.
Continues to provide the defense with a guy that consistently takes the ball away.

Some cons to an extension for Tyrann:

Once he loses a step, he’s not going to be nearly as effective at his size, he’s already not a burner. He will still be good due to prep snd instincts, but will be beaten more once he loses a step.
Any extension would start after he turns 30. He’s currently signed through age 29 this year.
Judging from his last contract negotiation with us, he wants top of the market money. Most likely a 3 year extension. Something close to 3/48. If structured right, I’d extend him for 3 years...even at that price. The structure would need to give the team options if he falls off.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:15 PM 04-06-2021

You cannot show me that I’m an option, I’ll show you I have others...

— Tyrann Mathieu (@Mathieu_Era) April 6, 2021

[Reply]
TribalElder 08:16 PM 04-06-2021
oh, thought we signed him
[Reply]
staylor26 08:33 PM 04-06-2021
That tweet could mean anything...
[Reply]
Rainbarrel 08:52 PM 04-06-2021
Nape of the neck baldness is real. Mullet or shave?
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 08:59 PM 04-06-2021
You guys read too much into shit
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 09:02 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brother:
You guys read too much into shit
I think he sits out this year now.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 09:13 PM 04-06-2021
I'm torn on the thought of an extension. Hes a leader and a great guy and player, but weve been burned before. Probably depends on the numbers for me.
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:16 PM 04-06-2021
He’s the heartbeat of the team in ways that not even Mahomes is.

You extend him, and you do it this offseason.
[Reply]
wazu 09:30 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
He’s the heartbeat of the team in ways that not even Mahomes is.

You extend him, and you do it this offseason.
Settle down.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 09:38 PM 04-06-2021
Honey Badger literally posts shit like this all the time and Veach said Mathieu will get done this offseason. Called him the same importance as Mahomes in getting an extension done
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:40 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by wazu:
Settle down.
We won the Super Bowl with a beloved QB who’s the best in the league and Mathieu, not Mahomes, won the team MVP.

That’s no slight on Mahomes at all, but it does show the extraordinary leadership that may truly be unparalleled in Chiefs history. He’s that special of a guy.

And he backs it up on the field. He was a legit DPOY contender that year as well.

We’re also paying Hill next offseason, so we want to stagger the first year hits of Mathieu and Hill in succeasive years rather than having them hit at the same time.
[Reply]
JakeF 09:49 PM 04-06-2021
It all matters on how well he can maintain his speed and quickness. When those go a secondary player usually drops off a cliff. The 1st half of the year Mathieu seemed to be a little off. Then he picked it back up in the 2nd half. I dunno if we have much of a choice about an extension. We need a replacement if we are going to let him walk. We don't have that now.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:50 PM 04-06-2021
He was talkin about his bitches
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 10:12 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
He was talkin about his bitches
He’s engaged.....
[Reply]
Page 1 of 8
1 2345 > Last »
Up