ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2989 of 3903
« First < 1989248928892939297929852986298729882989 29902991299229932999303930893489 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 12:40 PM 09-26-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
If the IFR is really around 0.6% then around 35M to even 40M Americans have had Covid-19. Which would be about 11% of the population. How far will that go to curbing the spread since 1 out of 10 Americans have at least some protection or antibodies? How long after recovery from the virus is one USUALLY immune?
I was going to try and dig into this and give you an in-depth answer, but it's extremely complicated. Here's my short answer.

My take is that the populations immunity is much further reaching than what antibody tests show. This is widely accepted thinking, for the most part.

Estimating how many infections have actually occurred is virtually impossible.

We have no true scientific data to rely on that shows how long someone is immune after infection with this particular virus. All we have to go off of is what we know about other coronaviruses.

Add all of that up and you get ??????? relating to your specific questions.
[Reply]
Donger 12:47 PM 09-26-2020
If the IFR is really around 0.6% then around 35M to even 40M Americans have had Covid-19. Which would be about 11% of the population. How far will that go to curbing the spread since 1 out of 10 Americans have at least some protection or antibodies? How long after recovery from the virus is one USUALLY immune?
I think you're conflating IFR with total number of infections/cases?
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:47 PM 09-26-2020
Well there's about a million variables.

For one thing if you get it and have no symptoms, it's likely you don't have antibodies, or the memory of how to quickly produce more. So you might be just as well a covid virgin.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/08/25/...y-to-covid-19/

Originally Posted by :
“If you generate a response to clear the virus, I think you will maintain that immunity long term,” Menachery added, though he raised a question about people who have had symptom-free or mildly symptomatic infections. “For people with mild or asymptomatic infection, it may not be lost immunity, but rather no immunity generated.”
So you almost have to look at people who at least got partially sick. Not extrapolate IFR out to include asymptomatic people.

But still - antibody studies suggest places like NYC have 20% penetration. And that's developing antibodies - which means they can do it again - hence they shouldn't get as sick the second time.

Originally Posted by :
Waning infection, the third scenario, is a variation of functional immunity. In this scenario, people who have been infected or vaccinated would lose their protection over time. But even if immunity wanes, reinfections would be less severe, Menachery said.

“You will never get as sick as you were the first time,” he said.
Originally Posted by :
Under this scenario, people whose immune systems have been primed to recognize and fight the virus — whether through infection or vaccination — could contract it again in the future. But these infections would be cut short as the immune system’s defenses kick into gear. People infected might not develop symptoms or might have a mild, cold-like infection.
However - the million dollar question is how infectious will these functional immunity people be if they get it a second time? I haven't read anything even speculating on that. If it's not very infectious, then you can take 20% of the pop out of the high-density areas - which would seem to blunt (but not kill) the effects of a winter second wave.

Also common sense would suggest the first wave of people who got sick were the easiest to infect - IE front-line workers who can't work from home, and especially when those people live with older relatives in multi-generational housing. If the second wave doesn't have that kind of low-hanging fruit to plow into, it could be much less deadly.

And of course nursing homes are better prepared now, treatments are better, and masks make a huge difference. There's some speculation that masks lower the initial viral load so much that it's often like vaccinating yourself if you do catch it. You get a mild dose which means mild infection, and now you have some immunity.

But working against all this is back to school, college kids coming back home for breaks, general quarantine fatigue/complacency, and colder weather. I'm convinced from everything I've read that the virus thrives in colder, drier air.

Colder air holds much less water vapor at the same relative humidity. It's the presence of water vapor that degrades the virus quicker. Also sunlight and maybe even vitamin D from sunlight helps. I am worried about colder air and less sunlight making this thing last in the air and on surfaces longer - which will make it more infectious, and lead to higher initial viral loads - which equals more severe infections.

Like I said - there are a shit ton of variables.
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:49 PM 09-26-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
I think you're conflating IFR with total number of infections/cases?
You use IFR of .6% to extrapolate total # of infections. It's probably better than using CFR since testing is so all over the map.

But of course so is IFR due to population differences. IFR was much higher in the early days when this thing was running rampant in nursing homes. I've read speculation it's more like about .25% right now - which seems reasonable to me.
[Reply]
Donger 12:57 PM 09-26-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
You use IFR of .6% to extrapolate total # of infections. It's probably better than using CFR since testing is so all over the map.

But of course so is IFR due to population differences. IFR was much higher in the early days when this thing was running rampant in nursing homes. I've read speculation it's more like about .25% right now - which seems reasonable to me.
I hadn't seen that before. What does the math look like?

The only thing I've heard until now was that CDC believes that we have 10 times the number of confirmed cases, or ~72,000,000
[Reply]
O.city 01:06 PM 09-26-2020
It’s not all about antibodies and even those will wane and you’ll still have immunity. Last I read even asymptomatic people have memory cells.

Until further notice, id go woth “once you’ve had it, you’re gonna be immune for a while and if you do get it again it’ll be mild” just like other infections
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:33 PM 09-26-2020
I hadn't seen that before. What does the math look like?

The only thing I've heard until now was that CDC believes that we have 10 times the number of confirmed cases, or ~72,000,000
Right. But you've seen IFR #s thrown around. .6% is a conservative estimate that might be low for early in the pandemic and high now. Italy was probably over 1%.

NYC has had 23.7k deaths. Divide that by .006 you get = 3.95M people. So wow actually NYC could be at almost 50% prevalence. That's crazy.

If they were more like 1% IFR (most of the deaths early on) - then you get 2.37M people infected - about 25% of the population of NYC which seems a lot more realistic.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:33 PM 09-26-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
It’s not all about antibodies and even those will wane and you’ll still have immunity. Last I read even asymptomatic people have memory cells.

Until further notice, id go woth “once you’ve had it, you’re gonna be immune for a while and if you do get it again it’ll be mild” just like other infections
Do you have a link for asymptomatic people having memory cells? I haven't seen that yet but it's great news if true.
[Reply]
O.city 02:52 PM 09-26-2020
I read the study recently, will see if I can find it
[Reply]
lewdog 03:01 PM 09-26-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I read the study recently, will see if I can find it
I've yet to meet someone who's tested positive, been asymptomatic and had antibodies. We tested our entire building for antibodies in early summer, 200 employees and not a single positive/asymptomatic from months early had them. That was when I was positive and asymptomatic in May and took antibodies in June too. And as you know got it with symptoms in July. Wife and I officially have antibodies on both our recent tests.

If you find something on that it would be huge though!
[Reply]
suzzer99 03:24 PM 09-26-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I've yet to meet someone who's tested positive, been asymptomatic and had antibodies. We tested our entire building for antibodies in early summer, 200 employees and not a single positive/asymptomatic from months early had them. That was when I was positive and asymptomatic in May and took antibodies in June too. And as you know got it with symptoms in July. Wife and I officially have antibodies on both our recent tests.

If you find something on that it would be huge though!
It's not necessarily having antibodies left, but maybe having the t-cell memory to crank them out sooner next time. Or some other form of remembered immunity. Theoretically.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:31 PM 09-26-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
It's not necessarily having antibodies left, but maybe having the t-cell memory to crank them out sooner next time. Or some other form of remembered immunity. Theoretically.
True. And I know those are hard and costly to measure.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 03:34 PM 09-26-2020
That's not very good and it's increasing, unfortunately.
Cases mean jack shit. At minimum 10 times more people would be considered "cases" if everyone was tested.
[Reply]
suzzer99 03:41 PM 09-26-2020
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
Cases mean jack shit. At minimum 10 times more people would be considered "cases" if everyone was tested.
Most experts seem to agree that actual cases are generally in the ballpark of 10x confirmed cases. CFR can still be a useful metric to predict hospitalization and death a month into the future.
[Reply]
Donger 03:45 PM 09-26-2020
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
No, cases/infections is where it all starts. This has been covered and explained before, which in and of itself is stunning that it has to be.

No infections, no getting sick. No getting sick, no going to the hospital. And so on.

We've now seen what happens when those "don't mean jack shit" cases rise, twice. As they increase, an increase in deaths follows. Thankfully, last time, deaths weren't as bad as the first increase in cases in March/April.

I understand you don't like that cases appear to be increasing (neither do I), but to say that they mean nothing is either ignorance or lying.
[Reply]
Page 2989 of 3903
« First < 1989248928892939297929852986298729882989 29902991299229932999303930893489 > Last »
Up