ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 12
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Knowledge Weighs Nothing - Life Hacks, Bushcraft etc
Easy 6 02:08 PM 04-23-2014
Its camping season, so I figured its time for a repository for all of the cool tips and tricks to be found out there that can make your experience easier and more enjoyable... don't wanna pack a tent so you can really rough it? theres a lot of different shelter designs out there, need to start a fire but forgot the lighter? there are tricks out there for that as well.

It can also branch out into cool knowledge that's useful around the home and in life in general, which is why I threw "life hacks" in there... this thread is for outdoorsmen and everyman.

Tell us your trick for saving money around the house, building a fire, catching food, making a field expedient water filter etc.
[Reply]
srvy 08:30 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by scott free:
Yes, ticks must pay for their insidiousness, a quick and easy death does not serve justice.
I like to pull them off and set them on the hood my work truck that has set in the hot sun. They hot foot around a little bit then give up the ghost.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 08:40 AM 04-24-2014
Here’s something everyone should have in their camping gear, or at least something like it.

After you’ve been stomping around in the woods wash your arms, legs, hands and feet down with this stuff. I don’t know about you guys but poison ivy/oak is thick around here. I’ve gotten much better at recognizing it but I’ll still come down with it at least once a year.

If it’s too late and you’ve got blistering rash move on to this stuff.

[Reply]
srvy 08:41 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by patteeu:
You'd better not be under very long if you're trying to breath through a hose that long. Almost all the air you inhale will be air you just exhaled and it won't take long to run out of oxygen.
Always worked for Tarzan with the reed.
[Reply]
patteeu 09:06 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by srvy:
Always worked for Tarzan with the reed.
It works if it's short enough. 2 or 3 feet is probably alright. 8 feet is too long.
[Reply]
Sully 09:09 AM 04-24-2014
If you're on the couch and are having trouble breathing, don't bother with a hose. You're probably choking on a potato chip. Simply pat your belly until your dog jumps on you, sorta like the Heimlich menouver.

Pro tip: Chewing often prevents this.
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:19 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by jspchief:
Camp stove out of a pop can:

Those are great, I've got an easier to make, cruder version of it made from a fancy feast cat food can, but it will still boil two cups of water in 4 minutes.

Originally Posted by patteeu:
Why is pee important here? Couldn't you do the same thing with water?
What if you don't have any water?
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:25 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by Dick Bull:
It's stories like these why I love the outdoors. Being isolated from technological and other life distractions. Being isolated from the world and just focusing on nature and the other people around. I think it's more of a stop and pay attention thing because I've got a ton of memories from these trips that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world.
The witch story was hilarious, and I totally agree with the above... I can almost literally feel my blood pressure go down when I'm out in the woods away from all of the BS.

I never fail to feel refreshed afterwards.
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:27 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by srvy:
I like to pull them off and set them on the hood my work truck that has set in the hot sun. They hot foot around a little bit then give up the ghost.
Sometimes one must be evil to defeat evil.
[Reply]
Graystoke 10:41 AM 04-24-2014
The best way to cook.

[Reply]
A Salt Weapon 11:31 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by tooge:
cotton balls with vaseline. Jam about 10 of them in a small clear bottle. They make great fire starters and will start with one match. If you don't have a match, they take a spark readily from a magnesium bar. I keep this in my fishing backpack, my camping gear, and my truck.
or you can keister them to prevent having to poop in the woods.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 11:40 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by A Salt Weapon:
or you can keister them to prevent having to poop in the woods.
Probably make your fire smell like shit though.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 11:41 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
The best way to cook.

Oh hell yes. :-)
[Reply]
Dave Lane 12:01 PM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by scott free:
Yes, ticks must pay for their insidiousness, a quick and easy death does not serve justice.
I learned something on CP, Permethrin is the fucking bomb for ticks. Soak pants and jacket with it. No ticks.
[Reply]
morphius 12:11 PM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
I’ll admit I was looking for a good tick removal video to post because I’m sure they’re going to be thick this year. I already found one on me after fishing a farm pond about 3 weeks ago.

I may add that if you get a lone star tick, very popular in MO, that the best way I have found to remove them is to flip them on their back and pull out backwards. For whatever reason they are more likely to break or just never come out if you pull them straight out or straight back. But flipping them works like a charm.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 12:33 PM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by morphius:
I may add that if you get a lone star tick, very popular in MO, that the best way I have found to remove them is to flip them on their back and pull out backwards. For whatever reason they are more likely to break or just never come out if you pull them straight out or straight back. But flipping them works like a charm.
Interesting. I had always called what we have around here deer ticks but your comment about lone star ticks got me wondering if that’s what they are. According to this chart:

http://www.tickinfo.com/TICKIDPAGE.htm

What we have mostly are American dog ticks.

The best method I’ve found for removal is similar to what you and the video are talking about, pair of tweezers as close to where the ticks connected to the skin as possible, but instead of a slow steady pull backwards I pull until the skin starts to bulge out and hold it. Pretty soon the tick will let go on its own.
When you grab a tick the first thing it does is tighten its grip, that’s why if you yank on it it’ll leave parts behind.
It’s kind of like if your holding onto a bar, if you’re just lying there you can hold onto it forever but if someone comes along and starts pulling on your legs you’re only going to be able to hold on for so long. So if you get a good grip on the tick and pull until there’s pressure on it to hold on it’ll eventually fatigue and let go. At least that’s my theory and I’ve had lots of success with it.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 12
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up