ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 12
« First < 678910 1112 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Knowledge Weighs Nothing - Life Hacks, Bushcraft etc
Easy 6 02:08 PM 04-23-2014
Its camping season, so I figured its time for a repository for all of the cool tips and tricks to be found out there that can make your experience easier and more enjoyable... don't wanna pack a tent so you can really rough it? theres a lot of different shelter designs out there, need to start a fire but forgot the lighter? there are tricks out there for that as well.

It can also branch out into cool knowledge that's useful around the home and in life in general, which is why I threw "life hacks" in there... this thread is for outdoorsmen and everyman.

Tell us your trick for saving money around the house, building a fire, catching food, making a field expedient water filter etc.
[Reply]
srvy 07:49 PM 12-29-2020
Also Osage orange as it ages takes on a patina and darkens to a deep orangish-red when exposed to the air.
[Reply]
srvy 07:50 PM 12-29-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Crafting a bow seems a super difficult and tricky art, where just like the metalworkers on Forged In Fire... even the good ones can be prone to many mistakes and minor flaws that compromise the whole thing

Pics of your work would be sweet...
I will work on this. I have posted a while back I think some of my work.
[Reply]
srvy 08:05 PM 12-29-2020
Crafting a bow seems a super difficult and tricky art, where just like the metalworkers on Forged In Fire... even the good ones can be prone to many mistakes and minor flaws that compromise the whole thing

Pics of your work would be sweet...
Self bows or Indian bows are actually easier than a laminated recurve or long bow. They don't require a lot of tools. A hatchet, drawknife, spokeshave, and a regular knife to scrape. Honestly, you could do it with a hatchet to rough out and a 6 to 8-inch knife.

Laminated bows require a lot of tools and the wood laminations are getting expensive if you don't have a wood planer. Then you have to build a curing oven. Make a Limb press and purchase a lot of clamps. Not to mention dangerous caustic airline grade epoxys.
[Reply]
Easy 6 08:09 PM 12-29-2020
I have nothing but respect for those who keep these old arts alive, srvy... its Jedi level cool
[Reply]
srvy 08:10 PM 12-29-2020
Many now start out with board bows from hardwoods purchased at a lumbar yard. I didn't go that direction. We own property near Maysville Mo and some in SE Ks where good bow woods are abundant. Osage is the best followed by I think Black Locust and Hickory. Also I am hearing that Hackberry makes a nice bow but haven't tried it yet but its all over this area.
[Reply]
srvy 08:16 PM 12-29-2020
I have nothing but respect for those who keep these old arts alive, srvy... its Jedi level cool
In Missouri Kansas and Iowa where I do a lot of 3 d shoots many people are fashioning nice primitive bows and bringing to shoots. It involves more patience than skill honestly.

My Dad was of the generation that had nothing and learned to repair and fix stuff if you wanted it. He taught me and my brothers a lot but he didn't make bows. I think this is why I took to it it was my deal alone.
[Reply]
Iowanian 08:53 PM 12-29-2020
Sec is your man for home made bows and arrows. I’ve got one of his arrows.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:03 PM 12-29-2020
As a somewhat n00b to camping...
...JetBoil is amazing.
...freeze everything in your cooler (or at least make sure it's all cold) before adding everything and use big blocks of ice.
...organize the shit out of your routine. Camping box with all the camping things, checklists, packing routine, etc.
...noticed pre-making meals earlier in the thread. Especially breakfast, when you might be recovering from the night before, like breakfast burritos cooked over the fire.
...small lanterns are very convenient. As well as 5 gallon buckets of water.
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:17 PM 12-29-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
...JetBoil is amazing.
...freeze everything in your cooler (or at least make sure it's all cold) before adding everything and use big blocks of ice.
...organize the shit out of your routine. Camping box with all the camping things, checklists, packing routine, etc.
...noticed pre-making meals earlier in the thread. Especially breakfast, when you might be recovering from the night before, like breakfast burritos cooked over the fire.
...small lanterns are very convenient. As well as 5 gallon buckets of water.
The second tip is one of the best, refrigerating your first meal or two with your next couple meals is a perfect hack

Yes on water, always keep it nearby... a milk jug gallon goes with me everywhere
[Reply]
srvy 10:53 PM 12-29-2020
Well this is what I have found so far as most are from film camera needs scanned and some are on a Photobucket account that's locked unless I pay there stupid fee for overage.
This was my first laminated recurve under construction hell back when I was renting a house in the Northland.

The two osage longbows the red leather handle is mine and the black handle I made for my brother. The arrow is a field tip arrow from port Orford cedar blanks I straightened stained crested and fletched. The blanks were bought from 3 Rivers Archery.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:27 PM 12-30-2020
I must've shut it down for the night just before you posted those, srvy

Very nice work, you're apparently the Real McCoy, my faves are the Osage long bows... that is sleek and sexy
[Reply]
srvy 07:05 PM 12-30-2020
I must've shut it down for the night just before you posted those, srvy

Very nice work, you're apparently the Real McCoy, my faves are the Osage long bows... that is sleek and sexy
The recurve bow was in the process of being built. I took pics on Kodak film that probably late 70's. Heck I have got rolls of undeveloped film in the closet I was always going to get around too but I guess it died with digital:-)

Those two longbows are the best I've done and were perfect staves. That the biggest battle choosing the wood ya never know what ya gonna get. Drying the billets takes 60 to 90 days minimum. Hell, there are people selling staves now at a hundred bucks a stave. Don't know that they get that but you see it on eBay.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:06 PM 01-02-2021
Best 12 minutes of my day, I'd spend a summer on it

[Reply]
Megatron96 05:17 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
If you have to poop in the wild you can use a leaf to wipe
What about three seashells?
[Reply]
Shag 05:20 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
...JetBoil is amazing.
JetBoils are amazing. I have even more appreciation for them after getting hit by a stingray earlier this year on a camping trip. Primitive site, so no hot water anywhere - 3-4hours of constant hot water from the JB. Saved me a lot of pain.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 12
« First < 678910 1112 >
Up