ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Media Center>Devices for PDF/eBook Annotation
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:04 AM 12-27-2020
Hello all,

The last several months I've been toying around with ways to get more out of my reading experience while also saving space. While the digitization features of a nook/Kindle are fine, the inability to make notes in the margins and quickly highlight important passages affects my comprehension of the material.

Similarly, I would like a device that can annotate PDFs well so that I can keep up on the latest in professional practice while also having something that is more portable and easily searchable.

I've used Calibre to strip DRM and convert books to PDFs in the past. Would I be best off doing that and then sending it to a Remarkable? How is eBook and PDF annotation in the current generation of iPad?

Thanks.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:15 AM 12-27-2020
Not going to be much help here about the formatting or programs used, but if you can get it to the appropriate format, the pen/stylus game has improved substantially recently. I have a 4 year old Surface Pro, and hell that pen is pretty good. Apple's stylus options on their products (I'm not very familiar with, but appear to be similar). They both appear to have customizable buttons and the interface is way, WAY better than it used to be.

Surface platforms and Apple are the most common ones I've seen, but I've used some Toshiba ones (mostly signatures on forms) and I think there are some more out there.

That stuff doesn't really work very good in my applications, but the technology appears to be out there.

I'm guessing this is what you're after? I don't know anything about the software and am certainly not going to bat for it, but this is whgat you're trying to do right?

[Reply]
Buehler445 11:19 AM 12-27-2020
If you're a Windows guy, here's what I could find on the microsoft platform, although it is 2 years old.

[Reply]
Buehler445 11:21 AM 12-27-2020
Bottom line is I think either platform will get you what you want, but I'd definitely look into the current stylus/pen market. They are really a lot better, and I think (can't vouch) will be much less cumbersome than using a mouse or touch.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:01 PM 12-28-2020
For annotating PDF’s, Windows is the first choice because of the available software, including Adobe’s own tools. I’m sure you could find alternatives for iOS or Android as well but Windows just would be super easy.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 03:49 PM 12-29-2020
I take is that no one has come up with a solution for eBook annotation aside from using Calibre to strip the DRM, save it as a PDF, and annotate on the now-PDF file?
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:05 PM 12-29-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I take is that no one has come up with a solution for eBook annotation aside from using Calibre to strip the DRM, save it as a PDF, and annotate on the now-PDF file?
Not on my end.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:08 PM 12-29-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Not on my end.
Shit like this is why I wish I still pirated more stuff. If one purchases a digital copy, one should be allowed to mark up said copy however they want. I have no problem with them cracking down on attempts at me disseminating it for profit, but I should be able to annotate it as I see fit.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:25 PM 12-29-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Shit like this is why I wish I still pirated more stuff. If one purchases a digital copy, one should be allowed to mark up said copy however they want. I have no problem with them cracking down on attempts at me disseminating it for profit, but I should be able to annotate it as I see fit.
Yeah, it's frustrating there isn't a better format.
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:36 PM 12-29-2020
What about something like this?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pdf-he...r/id1512973255
[Reply]
Up