ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2849 of 3903
« First < 1849234927492799283928452846284728482849 285028512852285328592899294933493849 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 08:44 AM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:

Here's a great thread breakdown for you guys from a couple interesting guys. Mina and Bedford are good follows as well.
That's really interesting - especially the part about the FDA not being set up to approve a high-error test. But they're right - that's exactly what we need right now.

Also interesting the combo-theory for herd immunity. If we do jack shit, it's probably around 60%, but in combination with distancing it's more like 20-30%. That's the first time I think I've seen data that shows the impact of both in combination.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:48 AM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
That's why all of the "look at XYZ city, they've had a mask requirement for months and look at their case numbers skyrocket!" comments are stupid.

A mask requirement means nothing if:

It's not enforced;
People aren't wearing them properly

Based on what I've seen, no one is enforcing it, and there are a lot of people not wearing at all, or wearing/using improperly.
I don't entirely agree that it "means nothing." Very little of this situation is driven by a single, individual's actions. It's all about moving the behaviors of large portions of the population. Based on what I see in the data for my county, the mask requirement took compliance from about 60% to about 90% (caveats about proper wear acknowledged) even though they aren't actively enforcing anything. Even if 10% of people are still not doing it, that 30% jump is definitely impactful at the population level.

It's why I think the vitriol and angst about masks is a little overblown. Some people are gonna be stubborn about it, and that's annoying, but outliers aren't the main drivers of spread of this thing. It's all about getting as many people as possible to do things based on the recommendations.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 08:52 AM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I don't entirely agree that it "means nothing." Very little of this situation is driven by a single, individual's actions. It's all about moving the behaviors of large portions of the population. Based on what I see in the data for my county, the mask requirement took compliance from about 60% to about 90% (caveats about proper wear acknowledged) even though they aren't actively enforcing anything. Even if 10% of people are still not doing it, that 30% jump is definitely impactful at the population level.

It's why I think the vitriol and angst about masks is a little overblown. Some people are gonna be stubborn about it, and that's annoying, but outliers aren't the main drivers of spread of this thing. It's all about getting as many people as possible to do things based on the recommendations.
Compliance where you live is a LOT higher than where I live.
[Reply]
Donger 08:53 AM 08-14-2020
New case decline has plateaued. I hope it's just a pause.
[Reply]
jd1020 08:55 AM 08-14-2020
That's really interesting - especially the part about the FDA not being set up to approve a high-error test. But they're right - that's exactly what we need right now.

Also interesting the combo-theory for herd immunity. If we do jack shit, it's probably around 60%, but in combination with distancing it's more like 20-30%. That's the first time I think I've seen data that shows the impact of both in combination.
Even 30% is an insane number. That's 98.5M people recovered. At the current rate of recovered to dead that's 5.9M deaths.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:56 AM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Compliance where you live is a LOT higher than where I live.
Sure, I get that. And I'm not saying that it wouldn't be great if everything was enforced. It's just that the situation is REALLY complicated, and there are no good answers. For example, you could ask cops to enforce it, but some of them are hardcore against it, so you're just going to cause a lot of angst within the ranks, and it's not like cops don't already have shit to focus on right now. You can ask employees to enforce it more strictly, but then you end up with some of them being assaulted or even shot.

At some point, it's just not worth the fight. But even then, the mandates DO move the needle some - even if not as much as we'd like.
[Reply]
Donger 08:58 AM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Even 30% is an insane number. That's 98.5M people recovered. At the current rate of recovered to dead that's 5.9M deaths.
Once all the old people are dead, that number would drop dramatically.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 09:01 AM 08-14-2020
Sure, I get that. And I'm not saying that it wouldn't be great if everything was enforced. It's just that the situation is REALLY complicated, and there are no good answers. For example, you could ask cops to enforce it, but some of them are hardcore against it, so you're just going to cause a lot of angst within the ranks, and it's not like cops don't already have shit to focus on right now. You can ask employees to enforce it more strictly, but then you end up with some of them being assaulted or even shot.

At some point, it's just not worth the fight. But even then, the mandates DO move the needle some - even if not as much as we'd like.
How awesome would it be to have stores hire out of work bar bouncers to man their doors?

Holy hell, that would be entertaining as fuck.
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:01 AM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Recovered known cases? In general I multiply known cases by 10 to get actual cases. It's obviously not super-accurate, but nothing is.
[Reply]
jd1020 09:01 AM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Recovered known cases? In general I multiply known cases by 10 to get actual cases. It's obviously not super-accurate, but nothing is.
In general I just go by what is known and not making shit up.
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:04 AM 08-14-2020
Well it's clearly not correct to assume everyone who got covid has been tested, if you're going to try to use deaths to extrapolate to some number of deaths based on a percentage of actual (as opposed to confirmed) cases.

There have been a bunch of studies of entire populations of towns etc. where actual cases come in around the ballpark of 10x confirmed cases.
[Reply]
jd1020 09:08 AM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Well it's clearly not correct to assume everyone who got covid has been tested, if you're going to try to use deaths to extrapolate to some number of deaths based on a percentage of actual (as opposed to confirmed) cases.

There have been a bunch of studies of entire populations of towns etc. where actual cases come in around the ballpark of 10x confirmed cases.
Most of those studies are using the fucking cruise ship as their model and come out with a 25% MOE. Excuse me for not taking those models seriously.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:11 AM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
My coworker was 4 weeks in the hospital. He’s now in acute rehab. Still on oxygen but up and moving with a walker. He’s doing much better but permanent pulmonary damage is still very likely.

/only deaths matter though.
Glad he is doing better. We have a maintenance guy with heart issues and diabetes thats struggled to recover completely.

Locally we had a perfectly healthy 24 year old teacher's aid die from Influenza B in January and her brother also in his 20's spent 3 weeks in ICU at KU med for it.

There are extreme examples of every illness it doesn't change the fact that the vast vast majority of people do not end up in these post severe scenarios and we know at this point that number as to be < 1% looking at the known cases vs unknown asymptomatic cases.
[Reply]
O.city 09:16 AM 08-14-2020
Yeah, all the serology stuff has us undercounting cases by alot.

If it's only gonna take 20-30 percent to get there with what we're doing, we're probably getting close.
[Reply]
O.city 09:17 AM 08-14-2020

There's some interesting data about the 20-30 percent going around. I think or atleast hope it's correct. We'd be closer to the end of this than we think.

It doesn't mean we can open wide back to normal, but it would allow us to ideally get pretty close to it.
[Reply]
Page 2849 of 3903
« First < 1849234927492799283928452846284728482849 285028512852285328592899294933493849 > Last »
Up