ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 453 of 460
« First < 353403443449450451452453 454455456457 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official Bushwood Country Club Lounge***
smittysbar 11:49 AM 05-11-2008
Okay, here is a place for the Golfers to talk about tournaments, clubs, swing help or thoughts.

Today is the Players Championship, which I think ought to be the 5th Major. Largest pot in the PGA. The daunting 17th, which seems to bring excitement every year. At least we will get to see Sergio blow up yet again.

I am ready to see some water balls!
[Reply]
ChiTown 02:03 PM 07-25-2023
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
Harmon looks a lot like the guy from impractical jokers.
I told my wife that exact thing on Sunday. Murr!!!!

[Reply]
philfree 10:30 PM 08-03-2023
A really nice look at Ben Hogan's swing. The position of the left leg as he changes direction and starts his downswing is something to emulate.

[Reply]
srvy 10:50 PM 08-03-2023
He is trash! Can't bomb it 380 and such a good putter. B.Willie
[Reply]
BWillie 05:28 AM 08-04-2023
Originally Posted by srvy:
He is trash! Can't bomb it 380 and such a good putter. B.Willie
Hogan fantastic ball striker. But we are seeing the best to ever do it currently. Rory was bombing permisson drivers 286 yards the other day. How come Nicklaus could only hit it 260? Might just be the ball but its impressive.
[Reply]
scho63 06:10 AM 08-04-2023
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Rory was bombing permisson drivers 286 yards the other day. How come Nicklaus could only hit it 260? Might just be the ball but its impressive.
You meant PERSIMMON drivers.

I used to have a Ben Hogan persimmon driver from the 70's that was pretty great. Very small but maybe best drive was 260-265. When I switched to metal I picked up 25-30 yards on best drive.

One of my best friends had an old 2 wood that was both rare and bigger than 99% of the drivers. I would borrow it on occasion and to this day no other club I ever hit had the feel of that club when struck pure.

The best driver for distance I ever owned was a gimmick type club made by the Woods Brothers out of Texas. It was a cork-filled golden maple wood driver with a plastic face with a huge 54" graphite shift. It bent like a bow and arrow when I swang it. Once I found the correct tempo to control ball flight for straight shots off the tee, I started hitting it 285-325 and was at the peak of my game somewhere around the early 90's. Got my handicap down to a 7.8 If I stepped on a course today, I would shot 40 over par.
[Reply]
BWillie 06:19 AM 08-04-2023
Originally Posted by scho63:
You meant PERSIMMON drivers.

I used to have a Ben Hogan persimmon driver from the 70's that was pretty great. Very small but maybe best drive was 260-265. When I switched to metal I picked up 25-30 yards on best drive.

One of my best friends had an old 2 wood that was both rare and bigger than 99% of the drivers. I would borrow it on occasion and to this day no other club I ever hit had the feel of that club when struck pure.

The best driver for distance I ever owned was a gimmick type club made by the Woods Brothers out of Texas. It was a cork-filled golden maple wood driver with a plastic face with a huge 54" graphite shift. It bent like a bow and arrow when I swang it. Once I found the correct tempo to control ball flight for straight shots off the tee, I started hitting it 285-325 and was at the peak of my game somewhere around the early 90's. Got my handicap down to a 7.8 If I stepped on a course today, I would shot 40 over par.
Yeah I never had much experience playing with the actual wood drivers...persimmon or whatever but I have hit some just sitting in the clubhouse before as a goof and my god they are hard to hit. If you hit it solid it is fine but the mishits are so punishing.

When I started golfing again in 2019 or 2020 my handicap was sky high. Always have deep respect for the guys with great swings that dont have to play very often. One of my old college teammates just rolls out of bed, shoots 75 even if he hasn't played in 9 months. I lose my timing if I dont play for a few weeks. Thats the difference between a good swing and a great one. Its always there and doesnt necessarily require alot of play to be good.
[Reply]
scho63 06:34 AM 08-04-2023
The biggest advancement in clubs is the enlarged faces for more forgiveness and not the horrible results on old blade irons when you miss. Cavity backed balanced clubs made a huge advancement for amateurs.

I would only hit a pure shot off my old Hogan blades about 3-4% of the time. It still is the most incredible feel. No cavity back club comes close to a pure blade strike. Problem was they were so fucking hard to hit, miss hits were ugly as shit, and the worst was trying to muscle a 5 or 6 iron out of deep rough. I could NEVER get good contact. Lastly, hitting a 2 or 3 old tiny blade iron was the most difficult thing to do. Maybe a good strike was only 1 per thousand for me. Hated it and used a 5 wood whenever possible. Hybrids and cavity backed clubs to replace the 1-4 irons were a huge help for all amatuer golfers.
[Reply]
O.city 06:41 AM 08-04-2023
So my 8 and 10 year old's made it to KC in the sub regional drive chip and putt. 10 year old ended up finishing 5th there, he's the better player but had a bad lag putt that killed his score.

8 year old won so we go to Castle Pines in Colorado in September for the super regional. A win there and we're off to Augusta national.
[Reply]
BWillie 06:49 AM 08-04-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
So my 8 and 10 year old's made it to KC in the sub regional drive chip and putt. 10 year old ended up finishing 5th there, he's the better player but had a bad lag putt that killed his score.

8 year old won so we go to Castle Pines in Colorado in September for the super regional. A win there and we're off to Augusta national.
So jealous they got to play that course, Castle Pines. Best course Ive ever played on simulator golf. Looks like so much fun.
[Reply]
O.city 06:54 AM 08-04-2023
So jealous they got to play that course, Castle Pines. Best course Ive ever played on simulator golf. Looks like so much fun.
We're gonna go out Friday and play Cherry Hills, then Castle Pines Saturday for him to get ready for his thing.

If he makes it to Augusta and they think I'm not hitting a putt or a ball on the range they're high off their ass.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:14 AM 08-04-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
We're gonna go out Friday and play Cherry Hills, then Castle Pines Saturday for him to get ready for his thing.

If he makes it to Augusta and they think I'm not hitting a putt or a ball on the range they're high off their ass.
:-)
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:20 AM 08-04-2023
Hogan fantastic ball striker. But we are seeing the best to ever do it currently. Rory was bombing permisson drivers 286 yards the other day. How come Nicklaus could only hit it 260? Might just be the ball but its impressive.
Nicklaus hit one 341 at the PGA long drive in the early 60s. Dude could absolutely move it unlike any elite player, even Tiger.
[Reply]
scho63 05:10 PM 08-27-2023
Victor Hovland played fantastic but Jesus Fucking Christ these guys are so fucking slow it's ridiculous.

I realize they are playing for millions but holy cow how long must you take.
[Reply]
scho63 05:20 PM 08-27-2023
That course is gorgeous. Old school for sure.
[Reply]
BWillie 05:27 PM 08-27-2023
I'm going to be upgrading my driver from the Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero to the Titleist TSR3. My friends tell me you can't have a driver head that is older than 5 years old.
[Reply]
Page 453 of 460
« First < 353403443449450451452453 454455456457 > Last »
Up