ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2939 of 3903
« First < 1939243928392889292929352936293729382939 29402941294229432949298930393439 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
oliverwilson1987 05:58 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by JakeF:
A couple of reminders...

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!
Please take care of yourself! I wish you all good health!
[Reply]
loochy 06:40 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by oliverwilson1987:
:-)
[Reply]
TLO 06:54 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by oliverwilson1987:
Originally Posted by loochy:
About oliverwilson1987
Real First Name
Oliver
Biography
I'm really fond of domestic reptiles! I have python regius. His name is Charlie.
Interests
Golf, basketball, painting
Occupation
Coder
Referral
Internet
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:38 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
You might want to leave your comfy little county once in a while before citing minority mask wearing.

It's 90%+ masks here everywhere now. As it should be in a state the surged to the top with COVID.
[Reply]
O.city 07:39 AM 09-02-2020
There's a big difference in this vaccine and an influenza vaccine. Influenza has a high mutation rate and they make the vaccine off somewhat of their best guess as to how it will mutate. Even if you have the shot, yes you can still get the flu. Likely, it will be more mild than if you didn't have the vaccine.

Even if thats the case with this one, it's a huge improvement.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:41 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
The heart stuff is somewhat concerning, but it still seems pretty anecdotal at this point. I'm optimistic it won't turn out to be anything that happens with any great regularity.
Its almost like we forget that all kinds of illnesses have some type of secondary impact on a very small % of people who get the illness.

By the same silly standards none of the medication with side effects should ever be taken. Or the vaccine for Corona when it comes out.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:42 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
There's a big difference in this vaccine and an influenza vaccine. Influenza has a high mutation rate and they make the vaccine off somewhat of their best guess as to how it will mutate. Even if you have the shot, yes you can still get the flu. Likely, it will be more mild than if you didn't have the vaccine.

Even if thats the case with this one, it's a huge improvement.
I don't get the flu, at least not in any way I associate how others get the flu so I am really not too concerned about getting a covid vaccine either.
[Reply]
Donger 07:44 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Because hardly anyone wears them unless it's somewhere "required". I don't know about other parts of the country but in my local area its probably 75% anti mask.
Do you live in a state which is presently seeing a large spike in cases and positivity?
[Reply]
O.city 07:45 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I don't get the flu, at least not in any way I associate how others get the flu so I am really not too concerned about getting a covid vaccine either.
You won't get it til you get it my man.

In my profession, I always get it. Damn if i didn't this last year and I had a 2/3 week terrible battle with the flu (i think).
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:47 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Do you live in a state which is presently seeing a large spike in cases and positivity?
I do and it's about 60/40 here masks vs. not.
[Reply]
Donger 07:49 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I do and it's about 60/40 here masks vs. not.
I wonder if there could possibly be some correlation.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:52 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
You won't get it til you get it my man.

In my profession, I always get it. Damn if i didn't this last year and I had a 2/3 week terrible battle with the flu (i think).
Of course it's coincidence but the last time I got a flu shot, I ended up still getting the flu and it wasn't mild, it was the bed-ridden for a week kind. So I just said fuck it and stopped getting them. I haven't had the flu since so I just stopped worrying about it.

Of course COVID is a pretty different deal. The flu vaccine is about protecting one's self more than anything else. The way I understand what you guys have said, COVID doesn't mutate like that, at least not that fast, so a vaccine for COVID, like say the measles vaccine, has a really good chance of protecting other people from getting it from me.

That's the only reason I wear a mask (other than I'm not into provoking people for no reason, we've had fist fights in our area) is because it could potentially protect other people. If that's the case with a vaccine, I'll definitely think about it, although I'm not into injecting stuff that hasn't been completely vetted first.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:54 AM 09-02-2020
I wonder if there could possibly be some correlation.
I don't think so. Even 2 weeks ago, the ratio was a lot more lopsided towards masks and we still started this latest spike. I think a lot of people figure they're going to get it no matter what.

I honestly think 6 ft. spacing is way more important. Earlier this year, we had a spike in my area even though I'd say 90% were wearing masks because even though they were masked, they would huddle like sardines in line at the grocery store and talk to each other because they hadn't had any outside interaction in 2 months.
[Reply]
Donger 07:59 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I don't think so. Even 2 weeks ago, the ratio was a lot more lopsided towards masks and we still started this latest spike. I think a lot of people figure they're going to get it no matter what.

I honestly think 6 ft. spacing is way more important. Earlier this year, we had a spike in my area even though I'd say 90% were wearing masks because even though they were masked, they would huddle like sardines in line at the grocery store and talk to each other because they hadn't had any outside interaction in 2 months.
60/40 really isn't very good. In Colorado, at least in my county, it's nearly 95% compliance and has been since the mandate. Our new case growth declined and positivity is less than 3%

We know masks help prevent the spread. Like you said, it's about you wanting to help do your part in trying to stop this fucking bug. I wish more people acted that way. I think we all want this thing to go away as soon as possible.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:10 AM 09-02-2020
60/40 really isn't very good. In Colorado, at least in my county, it's nearly 95% compliance and has been since the mandate. Our new case growth declined and positivity is less than 3%

We know masks help prevent the spread. Like you said, it's about you wanting to help do your part in trying to stop this fucking bug. I wish more people acted that way. I think we all want this thing to go away as soon as possible.
60/40 is pretty bad. But what I'm saying is that it's steadily declining even as the number of cases here are going up. It was much much higher even a couple of weeks ago and then we started this latest spike anyway.

I think people are just worn out by the whole thing and I know a few people that have said they're going to get it no matter what so why bother - that's why I said I think people are just giving up on wearing masks. They don't have any faith that they actually work.

There's a malaise setting in that's going to end up lasting a lot longer than the virus if we're not careful. I'm not against protective measures at all but as you know, I've been pretty vocal all along about considering the secondary issues that come with this - isolation, suicide, bankruptcy, etc. We've lost 3 local restaurants to this situation now and they're not coming back. The big chain stores are impervious, the small guys are dropping like flies.

We already have a bad rural drug problem with meth and heroin and overdoses have doubled over the last 5 months. Then you add in the people that have killed themselves (one my friends had 2 friends that killed themselves after a week in quarantine, one of them was never actually exposed to a sick person, just someone who had been exposed themselves). The collateral damage of this is pretty high so we have to try to strike some kind of balance.

Another anecdotal story for you just to understand the dilemma:

My daughter's best friend is in Minnesota for college. A student there showed symptoms and was placed in a new dorm room specifically set aside for quarantine. She was tested, and tested negative. The doctor diagnosed her with a sinus infection, said she didn't have COVID and sent her back to school.

They put her BACK in the quarantine room and told her she had to stay there 14 days. She's missed 3 golf meets (they only have like 9), missed a bunch of class that she has to try and make up without the benefit of having been to the lectures, and on top of that, one day they up and forgot to bring her food. She went 30 hours without any food because food service forgot she was there.

If we really want to beat this thing, people have to stop being stupid about it. On both sides.
[Reply]
Page 2939 of 3903
« First < 1939243928392889292929352936293729382939 29402941294229432949298930393439 > Last »
Up