ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 156 of 324
« First < 56106146152153154155156 157158159160166206256 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
SAUTO 07:18 AM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by jjchieffan:
It's hilarious reading the last few pages. Guys getting all worked up and pissed off because the changes that we made this off-season didn't happen a year sooner. Who gives a shit??? It's in the past. You can't change it, so why get upset about it?? The changes got made. We have the best quarterback in the NFL leading the best offense in the NFL. We came oh so close with the way they played it. And now, the future looks great. I just don't understand the mindset of anyone who looks at the bright future ahead and would rather fuss and whine about unchangeable things in the past. It's just plain dumb.
I'm more upset that it seems like they did it half assed and might've sacrificed a super bowl victory.

Either go all in on a 3-4 scheme or 4-3 but don't draft guys that don't fit what you plan to run. Don't sign free agents that don't fit.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 11:02 AM 02-18-2019
It's hilarious reading the last few pages. Guys getting all worked up and pissed off because the changes that we made this off-season didn't happen a year sooner. Who gives a shit??? It's in the past. You can't change it, so why get upset about it?? The changes got made. We have the best quarterback in the NFL leading the best offense in the NFL. We came oh so close with the way they played it. And now, the future looks great. I just don't understand the mindset of anyone who looks at the bright future ahead and would rather fuss and whine about unchangeable things in the past. It's just plain dumb.
Coming from the guy who claims the earth is 6000 years old, this comment is golden!
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:09 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
Coming from the guy who claims the earth is 6000 years old, this comment is golden!
How is this even remotely relevant?
[Reply]
jjchieffan 12:13 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
How is this even remotely relevant?
It's not. He's just too dumb to come up with an intelligent response, so he makes stupid comments like the one you just saw. Mama Gump was talking about him when she said "stupid is as stupid does".
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 12:20 PM 02-18-2019
It's not. He's just too dumb to come up with an intelligent response, so he makes stupid comments like the one you just saw. Mama Gump was talking about him when she said "stupid is as stupid does".
He is just wanting to liq your coochie.....
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 12:26 PM 02-18-2019
People bitched when we drafted Mahomes because he wasn't a pick to immediately help the defense. It was a pick for the future. Now look at how that has turned out.
People bitched when we drafted Speaks as he didn't really have a good fit. Now it looks like he is going to have a nice fit at DE. Looks like another pick for the future situation.
Nobody knew Mahomes was going to have the season he had and the offense was going to explode like it did this year.
Because of future thinking and picking we look like we are heading down the correct path.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:50 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
Seems like from what you are saying they must've misjudged everywhere
Or Sutton and his assistants did a poor job of teaching assignments and techniques.

I tend to lean towards that conclusion.

I don't think there's any question that Reid's loyalty to the man let him stay at least a season too long; the only question is was there consideration for a scheme switch a season before they implemented it?

I think it kind of looks like maybe so, yeah.

Did it ultimately cost us a SB? Maybe. Was there any way in hell that anyone on earth realistically could expect Mahomes to do what he did? Be what he is so quickly? NO.

I think any stable organization probably has something like a 3 year plan in place at all times. You'd have to, right? To try to balance salaries, the cap, the ageing of players, who you're going to need to groom replacements for and when you're probably going to move on.

Andy's comments about the future of defense being INSIDE pressure was telling I think mainly because historically speaking when he ran the Eagles organization, he spent money on corners and edge rushers, LT's, WR's and of course QB. That's an 'outside in' strategy. That's pretty typical NFL thought. It might be reading too much into an off-the-cuff comment, but Andy is very careful about what he says, so maybe not. Traditionally, your 3-4 defensive linemen are space eating run stuffers and your pass rush comes from your OLB'ers. So, I think that comment was interesting from a head coach who's team was running a 3-4 at the time.

Couple that with the draftees-most of which fit better in a 4-3, and that's why I think there might have been a plan to make a scheme change. I don't think they were 'wasted' I think they were seen as being situational fits for nickel and pass rush situations in their first year, and possibly getting more responsibility in their second year. I'm sure Houston's contract, Ford's running out, and Berry's contract were all part of the thought; if you're going to make a change, 2019 would be the first year you can either get out of these big contracts or restructure/re-sign depending on performance.

I think that Reid and Veach felt like upending both ends of the ship in a 'transition year' with a first time starting QB was inviting too much chaos; I think Andy wanted to concentrate on Mahomes and didn't want a distraction of feeling like he needed to be worrying about what the DC was doing. I think they thought the defense would be serviceable and Reid could be really hands on with his new QB. They even brought in an expensive new toy with Watkins to really make sure he had the best possible situation with weapons all around him.

They thought the defense would be serviceable. They thought Mahomes was going to be good, but nobody knew THIS GOOD, THIS FAST.

Then in 2019, the big contracts on defense would be in a place where they could make changes and one more draft probably gets the personnel changed over to switch to a 4-3.

It's not unreasonable, it's not stupid, it makes perfect sense; and nobody would be angry except that Mahomes was amazing and if the defense had been just a little better we're in the SB.

Before the season, nobody would have predicted that, and everyone would've taken a 12-4 season in which we made it to the AFC championship game with Mahomes winning MVP and been ecstatic.

We can just drop the whole thing because people have aligned into different camps on this and aren't interested in considering any other lines of thought. You either think:
a)no, they didn't have plan in place to change
b) they did and they're idiots for not doing it immediately or
c) considering the new QB and defensive contracts on the books it made sense to roll status quo on defense and let Reid worry about the first year QB.

So let's just move on.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 12:52 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
People bitched when we drafted Mahomes because he wasn't a pick to immediately help the defense. It was a pick for the future. Now look at how that has turned out.
People bitched when we drafted Speaks as he didn't really have a good fit. Now it looks like he is going to have a nice fit at DE. Looks like another pick for the future situation.
Nobody knew Mahomes was going to have the season he had and the offense was going to explode like it did this year.
Because of future thinking and picking we look like we are heading down the correct path.
The important thing is, someone was looking to the future instead of worrying about "win now". And because they did, there's going to be a whole shitload of "win now" in games that need to be won.
Getting mad because Mahomes turned out to be a prodigy and the rest of our concept wasn't fully realized yet is absurd. Ignorant.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 12:52 PM 02-18-2019
its weird that all of these guys had good seasons and then came to the Chiefs and sucked ass. Bennie Logan, Xavier Williams, Anthony Hitchens.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:57 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
its weird that all of these guys had good seasons and then came to the Chiefs and sucked ass. Bennie Logan, Xavier Williams, Anthony Hitchens.
I think so.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:00 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:

[Reply]
TambaBerry 01:24 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
exactly
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:31 PM 02-18-2019
it's kind of like... Sutton only knows ONE WAY to play defense; you need a 350 lb nose, and a Bart Scott/Ray Lewis/Derrick Johnson in his prime MLB. If you don't have one or both of those things, he's completely unable to make any adjustment at all to do anything else.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:45 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
it's kind of like... Sutton only knows ONE WAY to play defense; you need a 350 lb nose, and a Bart Scott/Ray Lewis/Derrick Johnson in his prime MLB. If you don't have one or both of those things, he's completely unable to make any adjustment at all to do anything else.
Don't forget the all-pro safety.
[Reply]
New World Order 01:49 PM 02-18-2019
Sutton had the personnel to have an all-time great d when he arrived in KC.

He legitimately had 5 all-pro caliber players at his disposal.
[Reply]
Page 156 of 324
« First < 56106146152153154155156 157158159160166206256 > Last »
Up