ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 17
< 123 456713 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The PI call that the refs voluntarily overturned
bobbything 05:15 PM 10-13-2019
You know, the one on Mahomes’ interception. The refs called pass interference, announced the call, and then huddled together and voluntarily overturned their own call after they announced it.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. Someone explain how that happens without a challenge.
[Reply]
Johnny Vegas 06:21 PM 10-13-2019
There is without a doubt evidence of plays where PI is called when the player wasn’t in the vicinity of the ball. I can hear it now...‘I don’t even know why player A did that because the play wasn’t even near him.’
[Reply]
KentuckyChief 06:26 PM 10-13-2019
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco:
Because the ball was already in the air and the pass wasn't to Kelsey. Ergo pass interference is impossible. That's more of an embarrassment that one of the referees called it to begin with.
Maybe I’m wrong but wouldn’t that still be holding?
[Reply]
SupDock 06:28 PM 10-13-2019
They basically overturned it because you cannot call PI on a receiver that is not near the play. Why is this the first I have ever heard of this rule?

I feel like I have seen pass interference called in favor of a WR not near the ball
[Reply]
stumppy 06:28 PM 10-13-2019
I don't understand how a guy on the def can hold or PI and if they make an interception it stands.
[Reply]
DanT 06:38 PM 10-13-2019
Originally Posted by KentuckyChief:
Maybe I’m wrong but wouldn’t that still be holding?
No, once the ball is in the air the defender no longer is as restricted in what he can do to an eligible receiver.

You can see from this video that the ball was in the air while Kelce was mauled. https://twitter.com/i/status/1183444585843965952

The relevant sections from the NFL Rule Book are under Rule 8 (FORWARD PASS, BACKWARD PASS, FUMBLE at https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules...ulebook/#rule8 ), Section 4 (LEGAL AND ILLEGAL CONTACT WITH ELIGIBLE RECEIVERS), Articles 6 (Defensive Holding) & 7 (End of Restrictions).

I didn't know this until today, but that Article 7 basically amounts to saying that you can't have what we know as defensive holding on an untargeted receiver if the QB has already released the forward pass.
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 06:42 PM 10-13-2019
Originally Posted by bobbything:
You’re not understanding my question. I’m asking how a call is made, announced, and marked off, then reversed without a challenge. I’ve never seen that before.
Oh that happens like every week in a broncos game. Seriously probably twice this year to the broncos.
[Reply]
Dartgod 06:42 PM 10-13-2019
Originally Posted by DanT:
No, once the ball is in the air the defender no longer is as restricted in what he can do to an eligible receiver.

You can see from this video that the ball was in the air while Kelce was mauled. https://twitter.com/i/status/1183444585843965952

The relevant sections from the NFL Rule Book are under Rule 8 (FORWARD PASS, BACKWARD PASS, FUMBLE at https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules...ulebook/#rule8 ), Section 4 (LEGAL AND ILLEGAL CONTACT WITH ELIGIBLE RECEIVERS), Articles 6 (Defensive Holding) & 7 (End of Restrictions).

I didn't know this until today, but that Article 7 basically amounts to saying that you can't have what we know as defensive holding on an untargeted receiver if the QB has already released the forward pass.
You cannot see what is happening with Kelce right before Mahomes releases the ball. I'd love to see another view, but it sure looked like he was getting mugged before he went out of view.
[Reply]
kcpasco 06:43 PM 10-13-2019
Wow. I’m shocked it’s the Chiefs that have some weird call go against them. I’m sure that same penalty where the officials huddle to fuck over the home team will be consistent. Amiright?
[Reply]
DanT 06:48 PM 10-13-2019
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
You cannot see what is happening with Kelce right before Mahomes releases the ball. I'd love to see another view, but it sure looked like he was getting mugged before he went out of view.
Yes, it would be good to see a different camera angle. Some of the mugging Kelce received was within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, which the defender is allowed to get away with. But there could have been some illegal contact, although it seems sort of ridiculous for an offense to benefit from a penalty call in that situation, as the QB wasn't throwing at Kelce. A few years ago, I was very close to no longer wanting to watch the NFL, because it had too many bullshit calls going against the defense. Lately, I'm enjoying the games a lot more. Part of that is Mahomes, but part of that is also that the rules are being enforced a little bit more reasonably on passing plays, in my opinion....all except for how pass intereference is supposed to be reviewable but isn't really.
[Reply]
Dallas Chief 06:49 PM 10-13-2019
Originally Posted by DanT:

Awesome. That's all very informative. I seriously mean that.

However, how do you reverse an announced call with no mechanism enacted to reverse said call? They get calls wrong all the time, how often do the refs self review in game and reverse calls? Maybe they do and I've just been missing it. This is directed at you DanT, just what's been going through my mind all afternoon/evening. Seems like extreme bullshit to me.
[Reply]
SupDock 06:52 PM 10-13-2019
Originally Posted by Dallas Chief:

However, how do you reverse an announced call with no mechanism enacted to reverse said call? They get calls wrong all the time, how often do the refs self review in game and reverse calls? Maybe they do and I've just been missing it. This is directed at you DanT, just what's been going through my mind all afternoon/evening. Seems like extreme bullshit to me.
Exactly. Huddle, announce the call, then reverse the call without ever having a formal review
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:57 PM 10-13-2019
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
He was getting mauled. Maybe you could argue within the 5 yards but way enough for mahomes to see that then the flag and believe that's what was being called.

That's total horseshit on the refs and the NFL should call it out. Regardless of right or wrong, you can't give the qb a free play then pick the flag up.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 07:09 PM 10-13-2019
When Dungy on NBC calls it out at a bullshit call, and that it should have been defensive holding, 5 yards, 1st down Chiefs...I'm sorry but I think it was indeed what we thought it was during the game...notice they did not show when the ball was released on the broadcast...Kelce was already being held, that's why Mahomes threw it up, he figured he had a free play. You could tell both he and Reid were arguing that by reading their lips.

Whatever. It was a drive killer, and the Chiefs were already struggling. Having the refs throw a flag and the pick it up the way they did...fucking unreal bullshit.
[Reply]
lcarus 07:29 PM 10-13-2019
Then it wasn't 2 god damn plays later and they call a phantom holding on Breeland.

Not that the fuckers didn't hold on several other plays for real, but the one on 3rd down when Watson ran and got tackled 1 or 2 yards short they called holding on Breeland and he didn't even touch the guy. The refs ruin the game. I'm sure there were several calls on them that were BS too. They just suck all around. I don't watch the sport to see the Shawn fucking Hochuli Show. Just because he was born with the silver flag up his ass.
[Reply]
DanT 08:08 PM 10-13-2019
Originally Posted by Dallas Chief:

Lately in both baseball and football, there has been a big emphasis on officials getting calls right and I've become accustomed to seeing umpires in baseball and officials in football correcting ridiculous calls. In this instance, a penalty was called on Kelce, who was not the targeted receiver. The call was announced to the fans, but one or more of the officials must have realized that it did not make any sense, as there was no way the call could be considered pass intereference and, it turns out, there is no way that the action that drew the flag, the grounding of Kelce, could be flagged because the ball was flying over his head when Kelce was hitting the ground.

It was simply a bad call, which the officials corrected. That's how it's supposed to work. That's how it has been working lately in sports. I've seen more calls be corrected by officiating crews on their own initiative in the past 10 years than I ever saw in the 30 to 40 years before then. I have zero problem with them doing that, fixing stupid calls.

I want the Chiefs to beat other teams. We weren't the better team today. The officials didn't have shit to do with that.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 17
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up