ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 85 of 361
« First < 35758182838485 8687888995135185 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 03:46 PM 11-14-2017
This is kind of a cool video showing some views of the McGregor test facility.

[Reply]
Hydrae 04:40 PM 11-14-2017
That is really cool. I did not even know they had a facility in central Texas. I may have to make a run up there next spring and check it out!
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:22 PM 11-14-2017
The cows running across the screen was awesome!
[Reply]
DaFace 09:49 AM 11-15-2017
One day delay for rejiggering the whosie whatsits.

SpaceX has announced a one-day delay in the next Falcon 9 launch from the Kennedy Space Center. Liftoff of the Falcon 9 rocket is now targeted for Thursday at 8 p.m. EST (0100 GMT Friday) with the top secret Zuma payload for the U.S. government. https://t.co/dDunIA6GOZ pic.twitter.com/Q7Yg7t7y5X

— Spaceflight Now (@SpaceflightNow) November 15, 2017

[Reply]
savchief 01:50 PM 11-16-2017
Updated: 11/16/2017 14:02 Stephen Clark

SpaceX has again delayed its next Falcon 9 launch until at least Friday evening. A U.S. Air Force spokesperson confirmed the delay to Spaceflight Now.

Friday's launch window opens at 8 p.m. EST (0100 GMT Saturday).

The 229-foot-tall (70-meter) rocket is standing at pad 39A at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. It will haul the U.S. government's secretive Zuma payload into low Earth orbit
[Reply]
DaFace 02:08 PM 11-16-2017
Weird. OP updated. Thanks for the heads-up!
[Reply]
DaFace 11:14 AM 11-17-2017
FWIW, the rumblings are that media has been told not to show up tonight, so they're almost certainly not going to try and launch today. From what I can gather, there was a test for a DIFFERENT (future) launch that may have revealed a potential issue with the payload fairing, so they're being extra cautious and making sure it's not an issue with this launch.

I'm gonna take down the countdown clock, but in theory this could go any evening in the next week or whatever at 8pm EST. I'll try and bump when something seems more solid, but I'm not gonna keep bumping it back by one day at a time until is seems like things are solid again.
[Reply]
eDave 07:45 PM 11-26-2017
Old school:

[Reply]
aturnis 11:11 PM 11-26-2017
Insane. I can't imagine anything more nerve wracking than being in that thing when landing.

Also, paint the thing yellow and it looks like the goddamned Magic School Bus. Where's Ms Frizz?
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 11:43 PM 11-26-2017
Used to hear the sonic booms whenever they’d land at Edwards.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:26 PM 12-01-2017
Lots of things happening lately - I just haven't been keeping up. A few notable things:

-Zuma appears to be indefinitely on hold until they figure out their fairing issue (whatever it is).
-CRS-13 is on the clock for a week from now. This will be the first launch back at the repaired SLC-40 site that was damaged last year. Also, this will be the first time an ISS mission is launched on a previously-flown booster.
-Iridium-4 is coming up in about 3 weeks off the west coast.
-Falcon Heavy is pushed back to early January (but not a set date yet)

And on that note...

Falcon Heavy to launch next month from Apollo 11 pad at the Cape. Will have double thrust of next largest rocket. Guaranteed to be exciting, one way or another.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) December 2, 2017

And I think he's serious... :-)

Payload will be my midnight cherry Tesla Roadster playing Space Oddity. Destination is Mars orbit. Will be in deep space for a billion years or so if it doesn’t blow up on ascent.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) December 2, 2017

[Reply]
DaFace 08:48 PM 12-01-2017
Confirmed to be legit by a SpaceX employee.

@beeberunner @nextspaceflight oh this is legit and of course there will be cameras!

— Joy Dunn (@RocketJoy) December 2, 2017

[Reply]
Cornstock 08:49 PM 12-01-2017
Originally Posted by eDave:
Old school:

A couple questions maybe y'all can answer that crossed my mind watching this:

Around 3:30 the guy announces that they are switching from one guy at the stick to the other. Why is it necessary to change who's steering it halfway through?

It might just be camera angles, but are they pretty much vertical at some points in that descent? Talk about coming in hot...

When the landing gear deployed, it seemed like the compartment doors were much thicker than standard wheel well door. Are they pressurized to keep the wheels from exploding in 0 pressure? Or are they solid rubber? Or are they inflated during the descent?
[Reply]
aturnis 11:11 AM 12-03-2017
Originally Posted by Cornstock:
A couple questions maybe y'all can answer that crossed my mind watching this:

Around 3:30 the guy announces that they are switching from one guy at the stick to the other. Why is it necessary to change who's steering it halfway through?

It might just be camera angles, but are they pretty much vertical at some points in that descent? Talk about coming in hot...

When the landing gear deployed, it seemed like the compartment doors were much thicker than standard wheel well door. Are they pressurized to keep the wheels from exploding in 0 pressure? Or are they solid rubber? Or are they inflated during the descent?
Not sure on any of this, but I'd love to speculate! I'd imagine it's thicker b/c of the heat shield required too ensure it doesn't burn up in re-entry.

Also, I'd imagine the wheels weren't inflated on descent, as too many things could go wrong. Solid sounds most likely, but a pressurized space could work too. If you lost pressure though, could be bad news for any hopes out coming home. I'm going with solid rubber.

Anyone know?
[Reply]
unlurking 12:00 PM 12-03-2017
Had to laugh at the dopey look on Musk's face, but apparently this maybe his personal Roadster, the one intended to launch on top of the FH.

[Reply]
Page 85 of 361
« First < 35758182838485 8687888995135185 > Last »
Up