ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3286 of 3903
« First < 2286278631863236327632823283328432853286 32873288328932903296333633863786 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
eDave 04:16 PM 12-10-2020
Ellen DeGeneres Tests Positive for Coronavirus, Pauses ‘Ellen Show’ Production
[Reply]
O.city 04:17 PM 12-10-2020
So the hope is to have 50 million vaccinated by the end of January here in the US.

Paired with infection immunity, I'd say that would get us to about 150 mil total?
[Reply]
DaFace 04:22 PM 12-10-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
So the hope is to have 50 million vaccinated by the end of January here in the US.

Paired with infection immunity, I'd say that would get us to about 150 mil total?
It's just so tough to say. We have ~16m known cases, and that's certainly low. We THINK that there are a shit ton of unknown cases, but I still don't think anyone has quantified it well.

There's also some issue of overlap. Many who get vaccinated will have already had COVID whether they knew it or not.

Regardless, I REALLY hope that we see death rates plummet by the end of January.
[Reply]
O.city 04:25 PM 12-10-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It's just so tough to say. We have ~16m known cases, and that's certainly low. We THINK that there are a shit ton of unknown cases, but I still don't think anyone has quantified it well.

There's also some issue of overlap. Many who get vaccinated will have already had COVID whether they knew it or not.

Regardless, I REALLY hope that we see death rates plummet by the end of January.
I would think it would surely.

Last i read they think it's up to the "we're catching 1 in 7/8 cases" territory, so if thats the case, we should theoretically get there sooner than later.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 04:31 PM 12-10-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:

I know it's been speculated that actual cases are between three and ten times known positives. Everything I've seen makes me lean more towards the conservative side and a factor of three. Right now we have roughly 16 million cases and are adding a million per week. The end of January is seven weeks away, so add seven million (and it could be a bit more) to the total. Twenty-three million, multiplied by 3 brings us to 69 million infections. That's 20% of the country. Without having a better metric, you'll have to assume that around 20% of those receiving the vaccine will be overlap. That gives you 40 million new individuals. Added to our infected population, and I think you end up around 110-115 million. Still 1/3 of the country.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:32 PM 12-10-2020
So it's not getting approved today?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Donger 04:50 PM 12-10-2020
CDC advisory committee will vote Sunday on Pfizer's coronavirus vaccine

From CNN's Elizabeth Cohen

An advisory committee to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention expects to vote Sunday whether to recommend Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine, according to an agenda posted on the agency’s website.

If the panel votes in favor of the vaccine, that’s the last step needed before shots can go into arms.

An advisory panel to the US Food and Drug Administration voted to recommend emergency use authorization of Pfizer’s vaccine on Thursday.

If the FDA does follow the advice of its Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee – and it usually does – then it’s the CDC’s turn to review the data.

The CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices will meet virtually Friday to discuss Pfizer’s data, according to the agenda. Dr. William Gruber, Pfizer’s senior vice president of vaccine clinical research and development, will make a presentation to the group.

The company’s clinical trials have shown the vaccine to be 95% effective with no severe side effects.

Once the FDA issues an EUA, then ACIP – a panel of independent experts – can vote on whether to recommend it.

“We anticipate being able to vote on the use of this vaccine on Sunday,” CDC spokesperson Kristen Nordlund told CNN.

CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield has to sign off on ACIP’s recommendation before it’s an official recommendation.

ACIP will also vote on whether any groups should not receive the vaccine. The vaccine has not yet been studied in several groups, including children under age 16, pregnant and breastfeeding women, and people who are immunocompromised.

On Dec. 1, the panel voted that the first two groups to receive the vaccine should be health care workers, and residents of nursing home and assisted living facilities.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:56 PM 12-10-2020

BREAKING: The FDA's vaccine advisory panel votes to recommend emergency use authorization for Pfizer vaccine:
17 voted yes
4 voted no
1 abstained #COVID19

— Norah O'Donnell 🇺🇸 (@NorahODonnell) December 10, 2020

[Reply]
TLO 04:59 PM 12-10-2020
So now what happens?
[Reply]
petegz28 05:01 PM 12-10-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
So now what happens?
Apparently we wait some more....

[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:10 PM 12-10-2020
So now what happens?
MY understanding..... CDC advisory panel meets tomorrow and Sunday. If approved on either day, the FDA will approve that day and the vaccine goes out.

I’m thinking why not just approve it tomorrow at that meeting?
[Reply]
sedated 05:10 PM 12-10-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Apparently we wait some more....

So you don't want a rushed vaccine but bitch every day that its not approved?
[Reply]
TLO 05:15 PM 12-10-2020
Maybe this is due to my own ignorance but I thought the FDA was voting on the actual authorization of the vaccine today.
[Reply]
TLO 05:16 PM 12-10-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
MY understanding..... CDC advisory panel meets tomorrow and Sunday. If approved, the FDA will approve on Sunday, the virus goes out.

I’m thinking why not just approve it tomorrow at that meeting?
I'm not sure. I'm a little disappointed to be honest.
[Reply]
DaFace 05:17 PM 12-10-2020
Maybe this is due to my own ignorance but I thought the FDA was voting on the actual authorization of the vaccine today.
The advisory panel makes a recommendation. The FDA itself determines the authorization. The latter will likely happen tomorrow, but technically they're not required to follow the recommendation.
[Reply]
TLO 12-10-2020, 05:18 PM
This message has been deleted by TLO. Reason: Nvm
Page 3286 of 3903
« First < 2286278631863236327632823283328432853286 32873288328932903296333633863786 > Last »
Up