ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Mellinger: Fixing The Chiefs In Five Steps
siberian khatru 02:07 PM 01-18-2018
Fixing The Chiefs In Five Steps: a self-help guide for a chronically underachieving franchise

Originally Posted by :
5. Add talent. Pretty basic, right? Sign good players, duh. But this will be Veach’s first real test in the new job. Whether through the draft or free agency, Veach should target, in order: cornerback, edge rush, defensive line, safety, backup quarterback, interior offensive line, middle linebacker and tight end. ...

Chance of adding enough: 60 percent, but this completely depends on your trust in Veach.
Originally Posted by :
4. Cuts and salary-cap management. The Chiefs can potentially save more than $20 million in cap space by cutting Hali ($8 million) and cutting or reworking deals with linebacker Derrick Johnson ($8 million in potential savings) and defensive lineman Allen Bailey ($6 million in potential savings). ...

Chance the Chiefs will clear adequate cap space: 90 percent.
Originally Posted by :
3. Replace Bob Sutton with a more creative and innovative defensive coordinator. The Chiefs ranked 28th in total defense, and dead last in Football Outsiders’ DVOA metric, this season. This is unacceptable.

They could not develop even an average pass rush despite getting a full season from Houston and having enough talent along the defensive line. You saw this with the naked eye, but the data is even more damning: according to Pro Football Focus, the Chiefs were 27th or worse in sack percentage, quarterback pressure percentage and time required to create pressure. ...

Sutton was conservative to the point of counter-production: no team ran fewer stunts on pass plays, and the Chiefs tied for the fifth-lowest blitz rate, according to PFF. ...

Chance of this actually happening — of Sutton being replaced: 40 percent.
Originally Posted by :
2. Trade Alex Smith. This should be the second-easiest roster decision of the offseason (after cutting Hali), and the most important: without it, the Chiefs are stuck, or worse. ...

Chance of Smith being traded: 95 percent.
Originally Posted by :
1. Andy Reid needs to evolve. Some of this is tied into whether Sutton indeed keeps his job, because Reid is famously loyal to his assistants. But this goes beyond tough decisions on assistants.

This is going to require Reid to get uncomfortable. ...

Chance of significantly happening: 50 percent, a tug of war between Reid’s stubborness and self-awareness.

[Reply]
Mama Hip Rockets 06:13 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Pffff. Bunch of words for nothin'.

I can fix the Chiefs in one simple step: Start Mahomes.
How does that fix the atrocious defense?
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 06:16 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by thurman merman:
How does that fix the atrocious defense?

Keeps them off the field ? Allows them to catch their breath?

Just a thought.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:43 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
Every media outlet is calling for Sutton's job. Andy will not relent.
Yup, its one of those deals where the more intense the outside pressure... the harder Reid will double and triple down

He wont be having fans and the media telling him what to do, the stubborn prick
[Reply]
Coogs 07:40 PM 01-18-2018
Personally, I think the defense needs an overhaul. Mahomes is going to need a year to settle in, so this is the perfect time to do it. Move to the 4-3 and take two years to get all the parts you need. I would start in the front 7.

I would put Houston on one end. No more dropping in coverage. He can rush the passer, and is good at setting the edge against the run. Maybe K-pass can set the other end, but that would be my first target in the draft. Another edge end that can rush the passer, and set the edge against the run. Jones and RNR, in the middle with Ragland backing them up in the middle.

Peter's and Berry in the secondary. Fill the remaining spots from the draft or Free agency over the next couple years, and we are set to roll in year two of Mahomes.
[Reply]
mcaj22 07:53 PM 01-18-2018
Andy Reid evolve?!?!

hahahahhhahahahahahaahhaahahahah after almost two decades of doing the same things hes just going to wake up and say today I am going to change, at 65 years old I am going to try new habits. Yeah... right.
[Reply]
ILChief 08:11 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by REDHOTGTO:
should we put this on the next banner behind the plane ?
Should have flown a fire Sutton banner after that Thursday night turd in Oakland
[Reply]
Mama Hip Rockets 08:28 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by Servant_KC:
Keeps them off the field ? Allows them to catch their breath?

Just a thought.
They were only on the field an average of 29:05, yet they still were historically bad despite playing quite a few terrible offensive teams. A new QB does not fix all of this team's problems. Not even close.
[Reply]
HemiEd 08:33 PM 01-18-2018
Mellinger has been bringing it like nobody since Whitlock, but better. Go Mellinger!

Do we need banners again?
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 08:39 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by mcaj22:
Andy Reid evolve?!?!

hahahahhhahahahahahaahhaahahahah after almost two decades of doing the same things hes just going to wake up and say today I am going to change, at 65 years old I am going to try new habits. Yeah... right.
For what it's worth I think Reid actually has gotten slightly better at clock management, although really he was so poor that it wasn't hard.

I say that not really remembering any impressive clock management moments, but I also don't remember too many fails relative to a normal Reid season. That includes in Philly.

Then again, if I include how he handles second half leads, perhaps he didn't improve at all.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:41 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Mellinger has been bringing it like nobody since Whitlock, but better. Go Mellinger!

Do we need banners again?
Did you forget Babb?

Such savagery may never be seen again from a KC media member.

Whitlock was a clown. Babb was a straight up assassin, and his weapon of choice was ink.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 08:43 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Did you forget Babb?

Whitlock was a clown. Babb was a straight up assassin, and his weapon of choice was ink.
Yeah Whitlock is a contrarian for the sake of being one. Yes it was helpful for the fanbase at times considering how weak the KC sports media is, but I don't consider him a good sports mind. He is a personality.
[Reply]
HemiEd 08:44 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Did you forget Babb?

Good call, I guess I did forget him. Maybe Mellinger is just getting through to me better than Babb did, no fault of his.
[Reply]
mcaj22 11:03 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan:
For what it's worth I think Reid actually has gotten slightly better at clock management, although really he was so poor that it wasn't hard.

I say that not really remembering any impressive clock management moments, but I also don't remember too many fails relative to a normal Reid season. That includes in Philly.

Then again, if I include how he handles second half leads, perhaps he didn't improve at all.

how he handles leads and him horizontal passing in the playoffs instead of running will never change.

he is a script/game plan genius but as for game flow once the other team adjusts on him he gets the yips.
[Reply]
TigeRRUppeRRcut 11:09 PM 01-18-2018
Apparently watching DJ get burned numerous times wasn't enough to show him the path to retirement
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 11:18 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
Every media outlet is calling for Sutton's job. Andy will not relent.
The Planet calls the shots in this game. Make no mistake; when these press lackeys want to get the pulse, they head out one-way to this website. I've seen this place create more influence in the daily comings and goings of the KC and national sports press, as well as the organization itself, in the last 5 years than at any other time in franchise history.

Clay's detractors should probably be very afraid; he's been the spearhead that cleaves the heart of incompetence and complacency right the fuck in two for several years now, and his influence is only getting stronger.

:-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up