ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Mellinger: Fixing The Chiefs In Five Steps
siberian khatru 02:07 PM 01-18-2018
Fixing The Chiefs In Five Steps: a self-help guide for a chronically underachieving franchise

Originally Posted by :
5. Add talent. Pretty basic, right? Sign good players, duh. But this will be Veach’s first real test in the new job. Whether through the draft or free agency, Veach should target, in order: cornerback, edge rush, defensive line, safety, backup quarterback, interior offensive line, middle linebacker and tight end. ...

Chance of adding enough: 60 percent, but this completely depends on your trust in Veach.
Originally Posted by :
4. Cuts and salary-cap management. The Chiefs can potentially save more than $20 million in cap space by cutting Hali ($8 million) and cutting or reworking deals with linebacker Derrick Johnson ($8 million in potential savings) and defensive lineman Allen Bailey ($6 million in potential savings). ...

Chance the Chiefs will clear adequate cap space: 90 percent.
Originally Posted by :
3. Replace Bob Sutton with a more creative and innovative defensive coordinator. The Chiefs ranked 28th in total defense, and dead last in Football Outsiders’ DVOA metric, this season. This is unacceptable.

They could not develop even an average pass rush despite getting a full season from Houston and having enough talent along the defensive line. You saw this with the naked eye, but the data is even more damning: according to Pro Football Focus, the Chiefs were 27th or worse in sack percentage, quarterback pressure percentage and time required to create pressure. ...

Sutton was conservative to the point of counter-production: no team ran fewer stunts on pass plays, and the Chiefs tied for the fifth-lowest blitz rate, according to PFF. ...

Chance of this actually happening — of Sutton being replaced: 40 percent.
Originally Posted by :
2. Trade Alex Smith. This should be the second-easiest roster decision of the offseason (after cutting Hali), and the most important: without it, the Chiefs are stuck, or worse. ...

Chance of Smith being traded: 95 percent.
Originally Posted by :
1. Andy Reid needs to evolve. Some of this is tied into whether Sutton indeed keeps his job, because Reid is famously loyal to his assistants. But this goes beyond tough decisions on assistants.

This is going to require Reid to get uncomfortable. ...

Chance of significantly happening: 50 percent, a tug of war between Reid’s stubborness and self-awareness.

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:07 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by oldman:
Is Sam reading CP?
Of course he's reading CP.

I'm not so sure I want to let go of DJ just yet. If he'll rework his deal, I'd be in.
He's done.

Even a 70% DJ is better than some of the other brokedicks we had back there this year.
Ragland was, by far, the Chiefs best ILBer and KPL was generally better than DJ

Hali, Smith, and Ford need to go. For what we got out of Ford over the life of his contract, I'm pretty sure we can do without him.
Ford was a bad ass at LOLB in 2016. It's no coincidence that the Chiefs went on a 1-6 slide after he and Conley were injured.

Ford doesn't need to be a superstar, he just needs to be available. His presence on the field makes a difference and the only reason to cut or trade him is because the Chiefs have signed, traded for or drafted a suitable replacement.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 03:09 PM 01-18-2018
Is Sam reading CP? I'm not so sure I want to let go of DJ just yet. If he'll rework his deal, I'd be in. Even a 70% DJ is better than some of the other brokedicks we had back there this year. Hali, Smith, and Ford need to go. For what we got out of Ford over the life of his contract, I'm pretty sure we can do without him.

DJ is done. Just say no to DJ.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 03:19 PM 01-18-2018
Step one: cut Hali, DJ, Zombo
[Reply]
hitchief 03:25 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Of course he's reading CP.

He's done.

Ragland was, by far, the Chiefs best ILBer and KPL was generally better than DJ

Ford was a bad ass at LOLB in 2016. It's no coincidence that the Chiefs went on a 1-6 slide after he and Conley were injured.

Ford doesn't need to be a superstar, he just needs to be available. His presence on the field makes a difference and the only reason to cut or trade him is because the Chiefs have signed, traded for or drafted a suitable replacement.
Yeah, Ford was missed but Sutton would have put him in coverage too.

They were fine without Conley but no so much when they had 3 backups along the interior oline- could not run = could not pass = simple. I like Conley and Robinson but Wilson can go such his alligator arms in and hide from defenders somewhere else and this team would be the better for it for sure.
[Reply]
srvy 03:34 PM 01-18-2018
I know how to fix The KC Star sports page in one step. Fire Mellinger see how that works smell linger since your into firing people.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:35 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by hitchief:
They were fine without Conley
No, they were not.

Once Conley was hurt, then Wilson, the offense sucked ass for the better part of 7 games.

Robinson has never been impressive. I'm not sure why anyone likes him or has any hope that he becomes a solid #2 or #3 receiver.

He's a JAG.
[Reply]
RunKC 03:37 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
No, they were not.

Once Conley was hurt, then Wilson, the offense sucked ass for the better part of 7 games.

Robinson has never been impressive. I'm not sure why anyone likes him or has any hope that he becomes a solid #2 or #3 receiver.

He's a JAG.
He’s probably a decent #4 WR if you absolutely need him. I really like Chesson though. I think he could be solid.
[Reply]
arrwheader 03:39 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Pffff. Bunch of words for nothin'.

I can fix the Chiefs in one simple step: Start Mahomes.
:-)
[Reply]
arrwheader 03:40 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by ChiefsLV:
I've been on the Andy bandwagon while many have jumped off already, mostly because I think he's one of the best coaches to get the most out of Mahomes but his decision to keep Sutton, which looks more and more likely, is really challenging my position.
Same with me.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 03:55 PM 01-18-2018
I would love to see a team sometime give a rookie QB a ten year, $100M deal. Like... start paying Mahomes 10 per year now so we don't have to go to 5 yr/20 per when he's off his rookie deal.
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:38 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
I would love to see a team sometime give a rookie QB a ten year, $100M deal. Like... start paying Mahomes 10 per year now so we don't have to go to 5 yr/20 per when he's off his rookie deal.
That might be the way to do it if the team could get out of it after 5 with minimal cap hit going forward
[Reply]
REDHOTGTO 05:47 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Cliff notes:

FIRE BOB SUTTON!
GET RID OF SMITH!
GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS ANDY!
should we put this on the next banner behind the plane ?
[Reply]
TEX 05:51 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Cliff notes:

FIRE BOB SUTTON!
GET RID OF SMITH!
GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS ANDY!

:-)
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 06:05 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Not all of this can be put on Sutton. When Ford got hurt we had nobody but Houston and Jones.

When you have no choice but to trot Frank ****ing Zombo out there, what do you expect?
Yeah, its not like we drafted a guy in the 2nd round who plays that position that didn't play a single snap in the playoff game or anything.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 06:07 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by REDHOTGTO:
should we put this on the next banner behind the plane ?

Yes we should.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up