ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Mellinger: Fixing The Chiefs In Five Steps
siberian khatru 02:07 PM 01-18-2018
Fixing The Chiefs In Five Steps: a self-help guide for a chronically underachieving franchise

Originally Posted by :
5. Add talent. Pretty basic, right? Sign good players, duh. But this will be Veach’s first real test in the new job. Whether through the draft or free agency, Veach should target, in order: cornerback, edge rush, defensive line, safety, backup quarterback, interior offensive line, middle linebacker and tight end. ...

Chance of adding enough: 60 percent, but this completely depends on your trust in Veach.
Originally Posted by :
4. Cuts and salary-cap management. The Chiefs can potentially save more than $20 million in cap space by cutting Hali ($8 million) and cutting or reworking deals with linebacker Derrick Johnson ($8 million in potential savings) and defensive lineman Allen Bailey ($6 million in potential savings). ...

Chance the Chiefs will clear adequate cap space: 90 percent.
Originally Posted by :
3. Replace Bob Sutton with a more creative and innovative defensive coordinator. The Chiefs ranked 28th in total defense, and dead last in Football Outsiders’ DVOA metric, this season. This is unacceptable.

They could not develop even an average pass rush despite getting a full season from Houston and having enough talent along the defensive line. You saw this with the naked eye, but the data is even more damning: according to Pro Football Focus, the Chiefs were 27th or worse in sack percentage, quarterback pressure percentage and time required to create pressure. ...

Sutton was conservative to the point of counter-production: no team ran fewer stunts on pass plays, and the Chiefs tied for the fifth-lowest blitz rate, according to PFF. ...

Chance of this actually happening — of Sutton being replaced: 40 percent.
Originally Posted by :
2. Trade Alex Smith. This should be the second-easiest roster decision of the offseason (after cutting Hali), and the most important: without it, the Chiefs are stuck, or worse. ...

Chance of Smith being traded: 95 percent.
Originally Posted by :
1. Andy Reid needs to evolve. Some of this is tied into whether Sutton indeed keeps his job, because Reid is famously loyal to his assistants. But this goes beyond tough decisions on assistants.

This is going to require Reid to get uncomfortable. ...

Chance of significantly happening: 50 percent, a tug of war between Reid’s stubborness and self-awareness.

[Reply]
raybec 4 02:10 PM 01-18-2018
Every media outlet is calling for Sutton's job. Andy will not relent.
[Reply]
banecat 02:11 PM 01-18-2018
Yes to 5 through 2. But Reid will second guess his decisions to the point of making bad ones. He needs to run everything, but hand calling the plays to someone that he trusts to do so
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 02:11 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
Every media outlet is calling for Sutton's job. Andy will not relent.
He's peanuts compared to Alex Smith. I can stomach another season of Bob Sutton as DC, but it would be pretty fucking hard to give a damn if Smith is back as the starter.
[Reply]
threebag 02:12 PM 01-18-2018
Status Quo on Arrowhead Drive
[Reply]
ptlyon 02:12 PM 01-18-2018
Cliff notes:

FIRE BOB SUTTON!
GET RID OF SMITH!
GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS ANDY!
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 02:13 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Cliff notes:

FIRE BOB SUTTON!
GET RID OF SMITH!
GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS ANDY!
Don't forget the salary cap maneuvering.
[Reply]
ptlyon 02:17 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Don't forget the salary cap maneuvering.
And rape on defense
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 02:27 PM 01-18-2018
He missed a couple of steps

??????
Profit
[Reply]
RunKC 02:33 PM 01-18-2018
Not all of this can be put on Sutton. When Ford got hurt we had nobody but Houston and Jones.

When you have no choice but to trot Frank ****ing Zombo out there, what do you expect?
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:48 PM 01-18-2018
Pffff. Bunch of words for nothin'.

I can fix the Chiefs in one simple step: Start Mahomes.
[Reply]
Eleazar 02:53 PM 01-18-2018
1. Fire Reid and his entire staff
2. Trade Smith
3. Start Mahomes

There, I did it in three.
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:54 PM 01-18-2018
1. Dump Sutton for Kris Richard from the Seahawks.
2. Trade Alex Smith.
3. Cut DJ and Hali.
4. Sign Rashaan Melvin (CB) and Adam Norwell (LG) in FA.
5. Find a passrusher, CB and S in the draft.
6. Re-sign Fulton and start him at center.
7. Start Mahomes.

Profit.
[Reply]
ChiefsLV 02:57 PM 01-18-2018
I've been on the Andy bandwagon while many have jumped off already, mostly because I think he's one of the best coaches to get the most out of Mahomes but his decision to keep Sutton, which looks more and more likely, is really challenging my position.
[Reply]
oldman 03:02 PM 01-18-2018
Is Sam reading CP? I'm not so sure I want to let go of DJ just yet. If he'll rework his deal, I'd be in. Even a 70% DJ is better than some of the other brokedicks we had back there this year. Hali, Smith, and Ford need to go. For what we got out of Ford over the life of his contract, I'm pretty sure we can do without him.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Up