ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Media Center>Bright: Did you like it
BleedingRed 08:42 AM 12-29-2017
I'd add more, but I loved it. LoTR's meets Training day. I thought it was great and can't wait to see part 2.

I think Netflix is on to something, and their content is typically great. They are spending 18 Billion in 2018 to make movies and new content.

So what did y'all think of the movie/concept?

[Reply]
patteeu 09:32 AM 01-01-2018
Originally Posted by unlurking:
The evil perpetrators were female. So it's social justice messaging when women are good guys (Star Wars) and social justice messaging when they are bad guys (Bright)? Or is the concern that Elves hate Orcs and persecute them? Or is the concern that Orcs are supposed to be persecuted because that's the natural balance (Elf Power!)?

There are three classes of "people" in this movie, and humans are in the middle. Is the social justice messaging that humans are the lapdogs of the elves? That humans treat Orcs as badly as the elves (Orc Lives Matter!)? Or that the Orcs deserve it for serving the Dark Lord?

Are we seriously being offended by a fantasy movie? Are we snowflakes?
Being a fantasy movie doesn't mean it can't have a point of view. I don't know if it makes you a snowflake or not, but I reserve the right to be annoyed by storylines I find offensive whether it's because they're overly preachy, or based on an obnoxious premise, or just stupid. The culture war is real and it doesn't just take place on PBS and at the university.
[Reply]
unlurking 09:33 AM 01-01-2018
lol

So what's the offensive point?
[Reply]
patteeu 09:35 AM 01-01-2018
lol

So what's the offensive point?
I didn't find it offensive. I'm able to tolerate the level of leftwing moralizing most movies contain. I just thought the "it's just a fantasy movie" was a worthless excuse.
[Reply]
unlurking 09:38 AM 01-01-2018
So you are SJW defending the viewpoint that the movie has a SJW bent, and yet you don't know what it was? Yay for you!

Let's all reserve the right to be offended by everything and bitch and moan about it while we're sharing stories about our periods! Yay!
[Reply]
unlurking 09:39 AM 01-01-2018
Better yet, let's turn this thread into a Star Wars fight! Yay!
[Reply]
patteeu 09:44 AM 01-01-2018
So you are SJW defending the viewpoint that the movie has a SJW bent, and yet you don't know what it was? Yay for you!

Let's all reserve the right to be offended by everything and bitch and moan about it while we're sharing stories about our periods! Yay!
Whatever. It's just foolish to suggest that you can't push an agenda through a fantasy movie. Maybe some people just can't see that.
[Reply]
unlurking 09:53 AM 01-01-2018
My point, which I thought was rather obvious, was that taking offense to any agenda in this movie takes a ridiculous level of reach and requires an immense level of fear or paranoia.

What's foolish is to see an agenda around every corner. Because...aliens.

Seriously. Please tell me what the agenda is.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:00 AM 01-01-2018
My point, which I thought was rather obvious, was that taking offense to any agenda in this movie takes a ridiculous level of reach and requires an immense level of fear or paranoia.

You can't see the blatant racial messaging and social commentary in that story? It's there from go. Are you sure you're being honest here?
I don't need to be hit over the head with agenda messaging when watching a comedy or sci if or anything else.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/27/chan...bright-racism/

http://www.filmjournal.com/reviews/film-review-bright

http://www.dailycal.org/2017/12/25/b...is-will-smith/
[Reply]
sully1983 10:03 AM 01-01-2018
Thought it sucked tbh. The director (David Ayer) is so hit or miss for me. I can't believe this is from the same guy that directed Fury & End of Watch (two excellent films ) and then he shits the bed with Suicide Squad & Bright. Very puzzling .

And I saw that Netflix has a sequel ready for Bright...smh.
[Reply]
unlurking 10:05 AM 01-01-2018
lol

It's always about race with you people. It could just as easily be about caste systems in general, such as India's or medieval feudal lords, nobles, merchants, and peasants.

Stop being a snowflake. Damn cucks.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:13 AM 01-01-2018
lol

It's always about race with you people. It could just as easily be about caste systems in general, such as India's or medieval feudal lords, nobles, merchants, and peasants.

Stop being a snowflake. Damn cucks.
I see. You are being willfully obtuse in the hopes of normalizing the agenda.
Not going to work.
Did you even read the links?
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:15 AM 01-01-2018
Back to the movie, I thought it was decent. It should be noted though that I have not seen Alien Nation.

I read some of the comments here before I sat down to watch it. The first thing is this isn't the same old Smith as far as I can tell. Sure, he had some of the same old mannerisms that he always does in action movies, but he hasn't really taken the role of a lost soul before. And remember when he said he was above cussing (:-)). To that end, the production and acting was pretty good.

As far as the world building goes, it could have used some more, and I think the post above with a quick voice-over would have done it.

Groundbreaking? No. Good? Yes.
[Reply]
patteeu 10:22 AM 01-01-2018

:-)
[Reply]
unlurking 10:28 AM 01-01-2018

The movie wasn't that bad. Complaining about a social agenda in a mediocre fantasy film is like complaining that the last Chuck Norris movie was pushing violence to solve problems.

Seriously, one group of people subjugating another due to race, religion, class, or whatever has been going on since the beginning. Being offended by this would be like being offended by sex or violence in a movie. So, when is it not "too soon"?

In just about every fantasy story that includes Orcs and Elves the two are at war and killing each other. One side NOT trying to destroy or control the other would be the real agenda here. You're trying to change the history of these fantasy stories to fit your moral compass. Are they supposed to be getting along and happy? Might as well make Thor a woman if that's what you want.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:38 AM 01-01-2018

The movie wasn't that bad. Complaining about a social agenda in a mediocre fantasy film is like complaining that the last Chuck Norris movie was pushing violence to solve problems.

Seriously, one group of people subjugating another due to race, religion, class, or whatever has been going on since the beginning. Being offended by this would be like being offended by sex or violence in a movie. So, when is it not "too soon"?

In just about every fantasy story that includes Orcs and Elves the two are at war and killing each other. One side NOT trying to destroy or control the other would be the real agenda here. You're trying to change the history of these fantasy stories to fit your moral compass. Are they supposed to be getting along and happy? Might as well make Thor a woman if that's what you want.
Not offended in the slightest. Just don't need agendas in my entertainment. It's supposed to be the opposite.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up