< 123 4567 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Amazon HQ2 to KC?
Schnitzel 08:19 AM 10-11-2017
http://www.kansascity.com/news/polit...178220811.html

Discuss
[Reply]
The Bunk 01:46 PM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
I think the point of Amazon looking for 'HQ2' is so they can find a location with drastically cheaper cost of living so they can turn around and depress the **** out of their wages.
On the flip side of that, it can be extremely challenging to attract high end tech talent to this part of the country. I think that's the major limiting factor that makes KC being selected a stretch.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:48 PM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by Spott:
That's probably very true. If that was their motive, it would make sense to do it in a place like Florida that doesn't have state of income taxes.
Well they're going to go to a place that offers the best tax abatements for them that is a defensible place for techs and entry/mid level management types to move to that's cheaper than Seattle.

Going to a state with no individual income tax is a bonus to help sell existing employees and new hires on to but what matters is a cheaper overall cost of living most likely.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 02:01 PM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by srvy:
I saw Sly and Jeff Bezos eating breakfast at McDonalds in the 10 Main Center downtown this morning. Sly had a deluxe big breakfast and a McGriddle on the side. Bezos had 2 breakfast burritos with hot sauce and a McCafe. I think we got this.
Pictures or it didn't happen...

You should have posted it it on the "What's for Dinner" thread and demanded to get a picture of the food.

Really taking as billionaire to McD's for breakfast??? Sly: you suck!
[Reply]
BryanBusby 02:08 PM 10-11-2017
Well they're going to go to a place that offers the best tax abatements for them that is a defensible place for techs and entry/mid level management types to move to that's cheaper than Seattle.

Going to a state with no individual income tax is a bonus to help sell existing employees and new hires on to but what matters is a cheaper overall cost of living most likely.
I don't think state tax is much of a factor.

The state of MO and especially the KC region has shown they are willing to bend over and spread for companies, which is ultimately what appeals to Amazon. If it's an issue to you as an employee, be less poor?

Sweetheart deal, real estate availability for them and workers and at least a solid plan to provide infrastructure will put you into contention.

Workers from all over will come for jobs, so workers around isn't much of an issue. They already hunt allover for their original HQ.

They made the wishlist how they did to make cities that don't fit the entire criteria bend over even further, that way they have even more leverage. It comes to money and nothing but money.
[Reply]
srvy 02:12 PM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
Pictures or it didn't happen...

You should have posted it it on the "What's for Dinner" thread and demanded to get a picture of the food.

Really taking as billionaire to McD's for breakfast??? Sly: you suck!
Lunch was a burger at Town Topic on Broadway they sat at the counter.
[Reply]
Dayze 02:16 PM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by srvy:
Lunch was a burger at Town Topic on Broadway they sat at the counter.
did Sly get the Truckstop plate?
[Reply]
Dante84 02:24 PM 10-11-2017
Shit's weak.

What's the best way to get Amazon excited about a new KC HQ? Amazon product reviews. Tell Amazon why you love KC with #KC5stars. pic.twitter.com/kD9lPnwywb

— Mayor Sly James (@MayorSlyJames) October 11, 2017

I bought 1,000 products for charity on Amazon and reviewed them all with a little KC love. Read all my reviews at https://t.co/fXuxqnmp3v pic.twitter.com/JBLHyiE51P

— Mayor Sly James (@MayorSlyJames) October 11, 2017

[Reply]
eDave 02:28 PM 10-11-2017
Phoenix is submitting. Phoenix, alone, is a better selection than KC, given the high level criteria.
[Reply]
Dayze 02:32 PM 10-11-2017
maybe sweeten the deal by giving them free sponsorship of the Kiss Cam at Kauffman.
[Reply]
cookster50 02:51 PM 10-11-2017
I'm not a fan of Sly's due to his participation in the flat out lying that the teams would leave kc if the stadium improvements weren't done, but this is actually quite clever. Well done mayor.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:25 PM 10-11-2017
So it was all a scam? That won't sit well with Amazon headquarters.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 03:26 PM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
:-)

They didn't open two fulfillment centers here within weeks of each other for no reason.

It's happening. They fly in people from all around the country to run things at our facility. This place is already the center for a lot of activity, and the fact things are running so well here (#1 fulfillment center in the country) is a good sign.
You better start writing product and city reviews...

I'll make you a bet...

Amazon announces its HQ2 will be in KC and I will leave CP, they don't: You leave..for good...

Bet? Mr **** another mans wife and brag about it on social media man.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 03:30 PM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by Dayze:
maybe sweeten the deal by giving them free sponsorship of the Kiss Cam at Kauffman.
Free signage (a word spell check does not know...) along the access road to the dumps (landfills) both in KS and MO?
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 03:51 PM 10-11-2017
Airport doesn't have enough direct flights to the requisite places, no public transport, not enough desirable housing and there cities with cheaper commercial real estate.
You forgot a big one. Talent pool. They'll want a place they can pick off a ton of young talent cheap. I'd bet it will be Midwest for the logistical advantages and cost of living. If I had to guess, Austin seems like a difficult one to beat. It has transportation, affordable cost of living, booming tech climate, and a massive university to bring in cheap young talent.
[Reply]
BeMyValentine 04:04 PM 10-11-2017
If Cerner can't find enough Tech talent how would Amazon?
[Reply]
Page 3 of 10
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up