< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Amazon HQ2 to KC?
Schnitzel 08:19 AM 10-11-2017
http://www.kansascity.com/news/polit...178220811.html

Discuss
[Reply]
DaFace 09:15 AM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by TLO:
Then why would KC even bother submitting a bid? Sounds like they are out of the running before the starting whistle.
It's not out of the question that they could get over some of that stuff if KC made a strong enough pitch for it (read: $$$), but when you read through what they're looking for, it doesn't exactly scream "Kansas City."

https://qz.com/1071832/amazons-hq2-w...-headquarters/
[Reply]
m80mayhem 09:31 AM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by Dante84:
From the article: "Proposals to Amazon are not due until Oct. 19."

I'm sure this is just a PR push to announce that KC is submitting it's bid. Would be happily proved wrong, though.
This.

KC has been getting hit with criticism from doing these deal behind closed doors. Probably trying to show some transparency and reveal their strategy in trying to get Amazon here.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 09:47 AM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Amazon just opened two fulfillment centers in Lenexa. The one I work at part time was rated the #1 fulfillment center of it's type in the country.

They're coming here. This is going to be great for the local economy.
there are 5 or 6 amazon fulfillment/distro centers in the KC area, have been for a few years. Means nothing for HQ2.
[Reply]
Dante84 10:16 AM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
there are 5 or 6 amazon fulfillment/distro centers in the KC area, have been for a few years. Means nothing for HQ2.
This.

It means nothing. Fulfillment centers have been popping up everywhere the past few years, not just KC.

Wishful thinking.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:20 AM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It's not out of the question that they could get over some of that stuff if KC made a strong enough pitch for it (read: $$$), but when you read through what they're looking for, it doesn't exactly scream "Kansas City."

https://qz.com/1071832/amazons-hq2-w...-headquarters/
but, it does scream St. Pete. :-)
[Reply]
BWillie 10:53 AM 10-11-2017
Are people sorting boxes really a good job? Isnt that basically what these fulfillment centers are? Sure more jobs are better than less jobs but it doesn't seem like a Cerner situation where there are tons of 70k+ jobs
[Reply]
DaFace 11:06 AM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Are people sorting boxes really a good job? Isnt that basically what these fulfillment centers are? Sure more jobs are better than less jobs but it doesn't seem like a Cerner situation where there are tons of 70k+ jobs
The Amazon headquarters is full of $100k+ tech geeks. That's quite a bit different than the fulfillment centers.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:09 AM 10-11-2017
The Amazon headquarters is full of $100k+ tech geeks. That's quite a bit different than the fulfillment centers.
I think the point of Amazon looking for 'HQ2' is so they can find a location with drastically cheaper cost of living so they can turn around and depress the fuck out of their wages.
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:12 AM 10-11-2017
Hopefully they pick somewhere relatively affordable. The wife turned down a great gig with them because Seattle cost of living. Will be watching this process fairly close.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:26 AM 10-11-2017
yep, if the Amazon HQ comes here, they are going to need experienced Enterprise architect/engineers to build out and secure a data center. Maybe someone who lives 5 minutes away?
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 11:38 AM 10-11-2017
Would love to be wrong, as I often am. KC appears a long shot. Competing with Tampa, Charlotte and probably many more cities with better infrastructure. Our hiways are tough to beat however. Heh.
[Reply]
Hoover 12:55 PM 10-11-2017
Charlotte
[Reply]
Spott 01:05 PM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
I think the point of Amazon looking for 'HQ2' is so they can find a location with drastically cheaper cost of living so they can turn around and depress the fuck out of their wages.
That's probably very true. If that was their motive, it would make sense to do it in a place like Florida that doesn't have state of income taxes.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 01:26 PM 10-11-2017
Press conference not being covered? Where's the news?

Oops wrong time zone.
[Reply]
srvy 01:46 PM 10-11-2017
I saw Sly and Jeff Bezos eating breakfast at McDonalds in the 10 Main Center downtown this morning. Sly had a deluxe big breakfast and a McGriddle on the side. Bezos had 2 breakfast burritos with hot sauce and a McCafe. I think we got this.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 10
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up