ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Nzoner's Game Room>Mellinger: Fixing The Chiefs In Five Steps
siberian khatru 02:07 PM 01-18-2018
Fixing The Chiefs In Five Steps: a self-help guide for a chronically underachieving franchise

Originally Posted by :
5. Add talent. Pretty basic, right? Sign good players, duh. But this will be Veach’s first real test in the new job. Whether through the draft or free agency, Veach should target, in order: cornerback, edge rush, defensive line, safety, backup quarterback, interior offensive line, middle linebacker and tight end. ...

Chance of adding enough: 60 percent, but this completely depends on your trust in Veach.
Originally Posted by :
4. Cuts and salary-cap management. The Chiefs can potentially save more than $20 million in cap space by cutting Hali ($8 million) and cutting or reworking deals with linebacker Derrick Johnson ($8 million in potential savings) and defensive lineman Allen Bailey ($6 million in potential savings). ...

Chance the Chiefs will clear adequate cap space: 90 percent.
Originally Posted by :
3. Replace Bob Sutton with a more creative and innovative defensive coordinator. The Chiefs ranked 28th in total defense, and dead last in Football Outsiders’ DVOA metric, this season. This is unacceptable.

They could not develop even an average pass rush despite getting a full season from Houston and having enough talent along the defensive line. You saw this with the naked eye, but the data is even more damning: according to Pro Football Focus, the Chiefs were 27th or worse in sack percentage, quarterback pressure percentage and time required to create pressure. ...

Sutton was conservative to the point of counter-production: no team ran fewer stunts on pass plays, and the Chiefs tied for the fifth-lowest blitz rate, according to PFF. ...

Chance of this actually happening — of Sutton being replaced: 40 percent.
Originally Posted by :
2. Trade Alex Smith. This should be the second-easiest roster decision of the offseason (after cutting Hali), and the most important: without it, the Chiefs are stuck, or worse. ...

Chance of Smith being traded: 95 percent.
Originally Posted by :
1. Andy Reid needs to evolve. Some of this is tied into whether Sutton indeed keeps his job, because Reid is famously loyal to his assistants. But this goes beyond tough decisions on assistants.

This is going to require Reid to get uncomfortable. ...

Chance of significantly happening: 50 percent, a tug of war between Reid’s stubborness and self-awareness.

[Reply]
T-post Tom 10:43 PM 01-19-2018
Originally Posted by oldman:
For what we got out of Ford over the life of his contract, I'm pretty sure we can do without him.
Don't undersell the entertainment value. :-)

[Reply]
ThaVirus 10:55 PM 01-19-2018
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
I always laugh when idiots on here act like J Houston not rushing the passer and going into coverage is always some huge mistake. Personally I think his pass rushing skills have taken a huge nosedive since his 22-sack season. Why? Idk but he is not the same guy to me.

J Houston has not been a consistently great pass rusher since his 22-sack season. He shows flashes here and there but that is about it. He was frequently blocked one-on-one this season and taken out of the play. If he did get a sack or some pressures he was simply chipped since we don't have another great pass rusher it is easy for other teams to do this.

Face it guys. Without another great edge rusher J Houston can be taken out of pass rushing situations easily by chipping him. Sending him into coverage isn't as big of a deal as people on here make it seem. I know in Madden always rushing J Houston is the smart thing to do but Sutton lives in the real world.
This is true about literally any pass rusher. Khalil Mack, Von Miller. Hell, you guys remember the run around we gave JJ Watt in that playoff spanking in 2015? We legit neautralized that dude in his prime.

That's why we need Chris Jones, Dee Ford or someone else to step up. You have two or three guys who can consistently collapse the pocket and the QB will be a lot more uneasy back there. Check the games this season in which Jones went off- Houston was a fucking nightmare.
[Reply]
milkman 12:15 PM 01-20-2018
Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar:
Right, geniuses...lets fire the coach who wins a bunch of games with a QB that everyone perceives as garbage + an O-line and D-line that get physically dominated by nearly every team they face.

Todd Haley or Herm would have won half as many games as Reid has with this group. Crenell a quarter. And guess what, odds are a lot greater that the replacement would be a lot closer to them than Bill Belichick.

Can't believe you fools want to show Reid the exit when he's about to install the best QB he's ever had. A guy who took less talent to several NFC championships and has posted a winning record in all but a couple seasons.

Or, I guess we could just make a knee-jerk reaction and fire his ass because a bunch of flukey shit happened vs the Colts and Titans.

The Eagles did not have less talent than these Chiefs, dumbass.
[Reply]
TEX 01:21 PM 01-20-2018
I always laugh when idiots on here act like J Houston not rushing the passer and going into coverage is always some huge mistake. Personally I think his pass rushing skills have taken a huge nosedive since his 22-sack season. Why? Idk but he is not the same guy to me.

J Houston has not been a consistently great pass rusher since his 22-sack season. He shows flashes here and there but that is about it. He was frequently blocked one-on-one this season and taken out of the play. If he did get a sack or some pressures he was simply chipped since we don't have another great pass rusher it is easy for other teams to do this.

Face it guys. Without another great edge rusher J Houston can be taken out of pass rushing situations easily by chipping him. Sending him into coverage isn't as big of a deal as people on here make it seem. I know in Madden always rushing J Houston is the smart thing to do but Sutton lives in the real world.

I think you're on to something here. I think this is a completely different defense with the threat of pressure coming opposite J.H. Different still with Eric Berry.... Without pressure, it's not as crazy as it appears to send J.H. out in coverage. Having said that, I still want Sutton gone. Time to see what a new DC can do.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 06:44 PM 01-20-2018

How do you not realize that it is difficult to be a consistently good pass rusher when you aren't pass rushing because you are in pass coverage?
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 07:02 PM 01-20-2018
Houston was actually more dominant on a down-to-down basis with his pass rush in 2015 pre-injury, he just wasn't racking up as many sacks... go back and watch that and tell me otherwise.

His injury probably set him back, and he is horribly misused. Would also greatly benefit to have help from the other side, as Zombo was the worst edge rusher in football.
[Reply]
morphius 08:26 AM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Houston was actually more dominant on a down-to-down basis with his pass rush in 2015 pre-injury, he just wasn't racking up as many sacks... go back and watch that and tell me otherwise.

His injury probably set him back, and he is horribly misused. Would also greatly benefit to have help from the other side, as Zombo was the worst edge rusher in football.
It is hard to say he was misused by dropping him back in coverage when we couldn't even beat backup right tackles one on one.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Up