ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Media Center>Best Digital Video Camera?
BlackHelicopters 09:07 AM 01-13-2018
Looking to buy a new Digital Video Camera. I would appreciate any and all advice. Want a camera that requires no antifreeze to function. Would prefer not to buy one that has been in a flaming AIDS tree.
Again, any advice would be great.
Thanks in advance.
[Reply]
Buns 12:04 PM 01-13-2018
Are you shooting only video? Or do you want something that does photos?
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 12:07 PM 01-13-2018
Originally Posted by Buns:
Are you shooting only video? Or do you want something that does photos?
I have retired and plan on doing Storm Chasing this spring. I suppose I want mainly Video, with capabilitynof stills? Does such an animal exist . I know very little.
[Reply]
Buns 12:29 PM 01-13-2018
Yes, there are hybrid cameras that do both. What is your budget looking like?
[Reply]
blackkatesmiranda 12:30 PM 01-13-2018
Video ,make sure you have quality sound so it’s clear when someone says “we got Cows “
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 01:09 PM 01-13-2018
Yes, there are hybrid cameras that do both. What is your budget looking like?
Price is not a deal breaker. Want the best.
[Reply]
Rausch 01:15 PM 01-13-2018
I would argue that TECHMOAN and other sites have proven that tape is of a higher quality that current standard media.

Yeah, that will come as a shocker, but it's true.
[Reply]
Buns 01:19 PM 01-13-2018
Tape is a very solid, affordable, recording and archiving medium, that is for sure. Shoot an hour on a Mini-DV tape that costs 3 bucks and put in a shelf. Getting it onto a computer is another story.
[Reply]
Buns 01:27 PM 01-13-2018
Off the top of my head, the Sony Z5U is probably one of the last Tape-based camcorders. Around 8 years old at this point, could probably score one used for about 1K.

It is possible to pull HD grabs from such video, but it wont have the quality of a frame from a more recent 4K camera.

I don't know enough about storm chasing, but I would probably go with a hybrid photo/video camera. But then you have to mess with interchangable lenses.

Looking into it though.
[Reply]
Buns 01:35 PM 01-13-2018
Thinking Full Frame DLSR (Nikon D850/ Canon 5D mk IV) or interchangleable Mirrorless (Sony A7S mk II - The low light king of the world.) Photo cameras take the best video these days, if that makes any sense. Another big selling point of the high end Canon or Nikon, is that the lenses and camera bodies are weather-proofed. Don't know about Sony. Canon/Nikon pro lenses are amazing and will hold value for a long while.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 02:26 PM 01-13-2018
Thinking Full Frame DLSR (Nikon D850/ Canon 5D mk IV) or interchangleable Mirrorless (Sony A7S mk II - The low light king of the world.) Photo cameras take the best video these days, if that makes any sense. Another big selling point of the high end Canon or Nikon, is that the lenses and camera bodies are weather-proofed. Don't know about Sony. Canon/Nikon pro lenses are amazing and will hold value for a long while.
Thank you for your help.
If you think of more options, please advise.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 03:01 PM 01-13-2018
Iphone
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 08:28 AM 01-14-2018

Was going to say the same thing. I’m a Canon man. The 5Div is an amazing camera, and Canon’s L-series glass is gorgeous.
[Reply]
Up