ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 31 of 149
« First < 212728293031 323334354181131 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2020 Royals Official Offseason/Season Repository
Al Bundy 09:13 AM 01-04-2020
Players start reporting Feb 12th.
New Ownership.
Spring training games begin Feb 20th against the Rangers.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:15 PM 06-09-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
Cardinals owner Bill DeWitt gave an interesting interview today. Makes it sound like there'll be a 50 game season. Basically makes it sound like that's how many games the owners are willing to pay for. The owners wanted more games but if the players insist on full salaries it'll be around 50 games. Also said they want the World Series over by October based on what health officials are telling them, to avoid a second wave of the virus.

The comment that will get the most attention is when talking about the fact that revenue has been up the last couple years, he said that baseball for the owners isn't very "profitable." Also talked about how their Ballpark Village wasn't really profitable either, but they run it for the good of downtown St. Louis.

They're all fucking liars.

Next he'll say he didn't make any money when he sold the parking garages in downtown St. Louis.
[Reply]
SPchief 02:32 PM 06-09-2020
Cardinals owner Bill DeWitt gave an interesting interview today. Makes it sound like there'll be a 50 game season. Basically makes it sound like that's how many games the owners are willing to pay for. The owners wanted more games but if the players insist on full salaries it'll be around 50 games. Also said they want the World Series over by October based on what health officials are telling them, to avoid a second wave of the virus.

The comment that will get the most attention is when talking about the fact that revenue has been up the last couple years, he said that baseball for the owners isn't very "profitable." Also talked about how their Ballpark Village wasn't really profitable either, but they run it for the good of downtown St. Louis.

Clearly he's insane if he thinks anyone is going to buy that
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:09 PM 06-09-2020

via GIPHY

Eat so many dicks, Bill DeWitt. So many, many dicks.

Dude got a major league team for free, watched it gain $2 Billion in franchise value through no doing of his own (thanks again, TIVO and Tony LaRussa), has averaged about $50 million/season in operating profits for the last decade (based on what he's actually willing to divulge) and has watched as MLB revenue has grown far faster than player salaries.

And he has the unbelievable hubris to say that baseball just isn't that profitable. Like he should've taken the $120 million that he immediately recouped by selling parking garages and just shoved it into savings bonds instead.

What a massive prick. Stingy bastard won't bail out his dipshit GM for his neverending streak of stupid FA acquisitions and unnecessary contract extensions because he's gotten used to printing money but he'll cry poor when it comes to actually playing baseball.

So very done with Bill DeWitt.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:36 PM 06-09-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

via GIPHY

Eat so many dicks, Bill DeWitt. So many, many dicks.

Dude got a major league team for free, watched it gain $2 Billion in franchise value through no doing of his own (thanks again, TIVO and Tony LaRussa), has averaged about $50 million/season in operating profits for the last decade (based on what he's actually willing to divulge) and has watched as MLB revenue has grown far faster than player salaries.

And he has the unbelievable hubris to say that baseball just isn't that profitable. Like he should've taken the $120 million that he immediately recouped by selling parking garages and just shoved it into savings bonds instead.

What a massive prick. Stingy bastard won't bail out his dipshit GM for his neverending streak of stupid FA acquisitions and unnecessary contract extensions because he's gotten used to printing money but he'll cry poor when it comes to actually playing baseball.

So very done with Bill DeWitt.
With all of them.

I love baseball. I live it and bleed it, as everyone here knows.

But fuck these owners with their bullshit. I'd rather not see a season than see the players capitulate and take deals that protect the profit margins of the owners while shuffling all the costs to the players.

Thankfully John Sherman has taken good care of his minor league guys and his organization, so at least my team's owner isn't being an unmitigated prick.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 03:38 PM 06-09-2020
The comment that will get the most attention is when talking about the fact that revenue has been up the last couple years, he said that baseball for the owners isn't very "profitable."
Ewing Kauffman said the same thing. If you ever read his biography, he never made much money on the Royals.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:46 PM 06-09-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Ewing Kauffman said the same thing. If you ever read his biography, he never made much money on the Royals.

That was a different era, before the absolute explosion of media rights and before revenue sharing.
[Reply]
kstater 03:53 PM 06-09-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
There's a big fucking difference between Kauffman owning the team in the 80s and the billion dollar plus(and equity in the station) tv contract of the 2010' s Cardinals

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
kstater 03:56 PM 06-09-2020
Re: number of games... fuck the owners. If they can't pay full pro rated salaries fuck them. They can't reap the benefits in the good years then not take the risk in the bad year.

[Reply]
kstater 03:58 PM 06-09-2020
And I'm floored how many owners took the route of not paying the (relative) miniscule salaries of the minor league guys over the terrible PR of doing it.

[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 06:18 PM 06-09-2020
Diamondbacks owner pulled the same bullshit. These bunch of chuckle fucks better get this season underway ASAP and put this nightmare PR behind them. Fuck around too much and people that just have cable for their team will say fuck it and cut the cord en masse
[Reply]
Al Bundy 06:54 PM 06-09-2020
Yeah, we're not getting baseball this season.
[Reply]
tk13 07:12 PM 06-09-2020

Took us less than 48 hours to respond with a fair, sensible, compromised proposal. Because we want to play. Now. https://t.co/QbkQ9YpbHf

— Whit Merrifield (@WhitMerrifield) June 10, 2020

[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 07:37 PM 06-09-2020
They'll get started just in time for football to start when nobody is paying attention anymore except those dorks in St. Louis.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 07:44 PM 06-09-2020
50-game "season" just sounds ridiculous. That would be the equivalent of the NFL reducing down to a 5-game season.
Not that anyone cares what I think, but it would be hard for me and I assume many other fans, to consider the winner of whatever they come up with after a 50-game season to be a real "World Series Champion."

Although a short season might give the Royals a tiny shot at being competitive.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 08:44 PM 06-09-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
That was a different era, before the absolute explosion of media rights and before revenue sharing.
I don't think they are making a ton off the team. They make a profit but nothing too major. They only majorly profit when they sell the team.
[Reply]
Page 31 of 149
« First < 212728293031 323334354181131 > Last »
Up